Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

The Great DAC debate

(1/3) > >>

Tim:
So I assume ya'll have been reading the Mini DAC v. Grace 901 comparison on the Oade board. Any thoughts on either of these two, or any DAC's in general? I think a DAC will be the next addition to my playback arsenal, though it will be a while, the DA-20mkII just isn't cutting it!

MattD:
I like my ULN-2 as a DAC, but I could see myself going for a Benchmark DAC-1 down the road. It'll be the last thing I add to my system, since the ULN-2 does the job for now. The difference between the ULN-2 and whatever I decide to add is pretty much nil until I upgrade the rest of my playback system.

-Matt

twoodruff:
well, I used the lucid 96/24 dac for awhile as it was popular, and it produced what I wanted at the time, which was just any dac, as I developed a taste for what sounds I liked I have listened to a few more and sold my lucid in exchange for no dac, Craig's CAL DAC is very tempting yet I dunno if I can come up with the money. After hearing good reviews from Moke I went and listened to this and enjoyed it, I auditioned it behind my playback and was wowed, like the lucid never did. Just a whole nother level. If you are looking for a good used one, I would go for that one.

wboswell:
Funny debate for sure.  It always humors me when someone steps up to the plate against Doug.  Especially when Doug takes such a strong stand on the MinDAC and the 901, given that the 901 is a headphone amp and not marketed as a DAC.  Very interesting read.

zhianosatch:

--- Quote from: wboswell on August 26, 2003, 03:31:25 PM ---Funny debate for sure.  It always humors me when someone steps up to the plate against Doug.  Especially when Doug takes such a strong stand on the MinDAC and the 901, given that the 901 is a headphone amp and not marketed as a DAC.  Very interesting read.

--- End quote ---

Almost makes me suspect that something fishy is goin on between ol' Doug and Grace...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version