Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

The Great DAC debate

<< < (2/3) > >>

dmonterisi:

--- Quote from: zhianosatch on August 26, 2003, 05:18:10 PM ---
--- Quote from: wboswell on August 26, 2003, 03:31:25 PM ---Funny debate for sure.  It always humors me when someone steps up to the plate against Doug.  Especially when Doug takes such a strong stand on the MinDAC and the 901, given that the 901 is a headphone amp and not marketed as a DAC.  Very interesting read.

--- End quote ---

Almost makes me suspect that something fishy is goin on between ol' Doug and Grace...

--- End quote ---

:kiss2:

Tim:

--- Quote from: zhianosatch on August 26, 2003, 05:18:10 PM ---
--- Quote from: wboswell on August 26, 2003, 03:31:25 PM ---Funny debate for sure.  It always humors me when someone steps up to the plate against Doug.  Especially when Doug takes such a strong stand on the MinDAC and the 901, given that the 901 is a headphone amp and not marketed as a DAC.  Very interesting read.

--- End quote ---

Almost makes me suspect that something fishy is goin on between ol' Doug and Grace...

--- End quote ---

Just that they are old dead tour buddies and Doug is a retailer for the 901. 90% of the time I find Doug to be completely unbiased but this one just seems a little fishy.

Wish I had the money for the CAL as I've heard very good things about it.

Wiggler:
Wadia makes the super Dac 27ix Decoding computer, its bad.
Digital Processing   24-bit
DAC Sample Rate    2.8224 MHz
Digital Inputs    Six inputs: 2 Glass Fiber Optic (ST), 2 SPDIF (BNC),
1 Plastic Fiber Optic (TOSLINK), 1 AES/EBU (XLR)
All inputs accept and decode standard digital audio formats,
from 32 kHz to 96 kHz, and from 16-24 bits.
http://www.wadia.com/products/products_main.htm

I'm a fan of the Musical Fidelity A324 24/192 dac for about $800.00
http://www.musicalfidelity.com/a32series.html

HydroPANIC:
Doug is a purist...  He is always searching for the cleanest least colored signal path.  A True Audio Geek...

Plus, It's his opinion...

BC:
FWIW, I haven't heard the Grace 901, but there is a review of it in last month's Stereophile. Both the measurements and review echo Doug Oade's very positive comments. The measurements of noise floor, intermodulation distortion, and jitter are VERY close to those of high-end DA converters costing $3000 and up.

Wishing I had the $ to get one...

Ben

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version