Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Preamp Nervana  (Read 6100 times)

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Preamp Nervana
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 02:37:39 PM »
The first two pictures with the auricaps is from my Modwright, Nick has the Symphanie Plus he would like to mod. I have no idea what is what so I have no plans of modding anything  ;D
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2006, 09:26:34 AM »
The big yellow things are auricaps.  The only reason to change would be because you want a different sonic signature.  I use auricaps in the bass region of my speaker crossovers...bigg ass 51uf caps too.  I kind of feel like an idiot ::) ;D
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2006, 07:58:40 PM »
Try an Amperex Orange Globe 12AX7s for the input and a pair of Sylvania Gold Brand 5751s as the output.  :)

If you're considering upgrading the Symphonies you might want to contact Alex Peychev at APL Hifi, I know he's modded a couple Symphonies and supposedly the results were outstanding.  He might not be willing to do the mods now since he's pretty backlogged on his modded Denon 3190s and his new uber player but it might be worth a shot.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2006, 08:22:06 AM »
thanks Nick.  I'll check him out. 

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006, 10:07:11 AM »
I think I may have found something of interest to you or at least slightly relevant nick.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/audio_experience_e.html
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2006, 10:32:16 AM »
not a great review.
ah well.  to each their own.  I think the symph and sympn + rock.  i'm sure that its not up to its potential design though, and that there are many stock parts that can be replaced.  I intend to look into this some more.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2006, 09:25:06 PM »
It wasn't the review I was posting but rather the mod comments at the bottom of the review.  Review's don't mean shit.  I use them as a guide more or less. 

Honestly, I would contact Wayne @ Bolder and send it to him.  He will give you an estimate before doing anything, takes one off projects, and is killer to work with as well.

Again, hope this helps.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2006, 10:01:53 PM »
While it may not be a good review it is EXACTLY what you were looking for. I say you give it a shot.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2006, 07:18:26 AM »
i know...
and the parts in question are very 'spaceious" in there, so easyy to snip out and replace from the looks of things.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2006, 08:18:34 PM »
While it may not be a good review it is EXACTLY what you were looking for. I say you give it a shot.

Funny thing is I found it while searching for "auricaps."   :D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com