Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ah, now I can listen to my Vinyl again  (Read 7808 times)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Ah, now I can listen to my Vinyl again
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2006, 06:34:28 PM »
it is the same...

the phono stage plugs into the receiver just as any other source. the phono stage typically adds between 30 - 60 db of gain to the phono signal (bringing the signal to line level)...

phono > phonostage(preamp) > receiver

it does more than that.  there is an RIAA eq curve for records that it matches as well.

yeah - i was giving an abbreviated version, but yes the riaa curve is a crucial component...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2006, 10:44:53 PM »
I'll definitely consider it.  I know the Yamaha is on its way out once I purchase some speakers for a HT setup, I'm thinking epos as my speaker brand and probably a denon receiver.  A phono preamp may also be in the works as well as a wall mount for the TT to avoid vibrations. 

Nick, if you've never heard the Baby O, you must do so, it's a killer headphone.    :o

I'm trying to stay FAR away from all electrostatic headphones, the last thing i need to do is start coveting another expensive headphone which needs it's own special amp.  I'm really happy with my W11JPN, W100, W5000 triumverate and I'd like to stay that way.   ;D

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 08:42:57 AM »
I'll definitely consider it.  I know the Yamaha is on its way out once I purchase some speakers for a HT setup, I'm thinking epos as my speaker brand and probably a denon receiver.  A phono preamp may also be in the works as well as a wall mount for the TT to avoid vibrations. 

Nick, if you've never heard the Baby O, you must do so, it's a killer headphone.    :o

I'm trying to stay FAR away from all electrostatic headphones, the last thing i need to do is start coveting another expensive headphone which needs it's own special amp.  I'm really happy with my W11JPN, W100, W5000 triumverate and I'd like to stay that way.   ;D

Hehe, I know what you mean.  With the Baby O's, its own amp is the leakest link...you know what that means, I'm gonna have to upgrade eventually.   >:D
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline George

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2006, 08:43:22 AM »
Just a quick update, I've been listening to the rega every night and for the last two days its been sounding great, no skipping!  The only thing I notice is some vibrations when the stylus is reading the last few minutes of a song on one side of a record.  I order a sweet record "brush" from amusicdirect, its great!  I also ordered another 100 audiophile record sleeves and outside jackets.  I'll be getting the belt and dust cover in the next week or two.  I might also look into getting one of those jello-type stylus cleaners they sell on amusicdirect. 

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006, 08:58:25 AM »
stylus cleaner is very effective - i use the one from extremephono, as i think it is a bit cheaper...

if you dont go with a vacuum record cleaner, get the orbitrac system...

also, those audioquest antistatic brushes are a good call...

the next thing you have to do then would be to make sure that your tonearm and cartridge are aligned EXACTLY as they should be (small discrepencies can make a big difference in sound)...

have fun.

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2006, 12:03:12 PM »
Have you tried any isolation feet for the turntable?  Aside from the sonic benefits, they do a good job minimizing vibrations to the unit.  It would be easier than wall-mounting, too.

Chris

zowie

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2006, 08:07:46 PM »
Whoa!
You may be having tracking problems because the stylus is bent!
Look at the camber angle in the picture you posted.
Unless it's an illusion, you'd better change that asap before you wreck your records.

Offline George

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2006, 06:01:31 PM »
Whoa!
You may be having tracking problems because the stylus is bent!
Look at the camber angle in the picture you posted.
Unless it's an illusion, you'd better change that asap before you wreck your records.

screams in horror

(faints)

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2006, 08:46:32 PM »
I just made a sand isolation box, I will post pictures up here tomorrow. The final coat of poly is drying as I type this. It was real easy & I hope it will help with any skipping I get on occasion.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

zowie

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2006, 09:23:25 PM »
I just made a sand isolation box, I will post pictures up here tomorrow.

Hope you don't have a cat.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.668 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com