Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Buy it or not? Old McIntosh SS  (Read 2807 times)

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
Buy it or not? Old McIntosh SS
« on: March 21, 2006, 09:34:07 PM »
I have a few odd pieces but no playback set up at the moment.  My AQ1001DT is waiting on the correct part (faulty pot and a couple resistors out of spec). 

My friend Steve just took in a McIntosh MC-2200 (ugly 80lb 200w x2) amplifier, it's spotless and has the optional wood housing.  I'm considering picking it up, he wants $600 for it.  I know they sell for more, but I can't find much online about this particular amp, does anyone know anything about early 80's McIntosh Solid State?  He comes across nice gear from time to time since he does higher end HT installs, so I told him to give me a call if he finds anything I might have an interest in.  I'd have to invest in a pre as well, is it worth playing around with?  He got this one from an 80yr old lady that was getting some whole-house music system put in, she said her husband bought it around 1980 and she no longer had a use for it.  He paid his helper with the pre, so that's gone.

He's one of those "easy-come easy-go" type guys with 2 kids and no interest in gear anymore, but if he has something I think someone would be interested in, I'll post it in here.   

It looks the same as the one in the picture, but with a wood housing:

http://www.roger-russell.com/amplif2.htm#mc2200

ELECTRICAL: 200w/ch. (400w mono). Response 20-20kHz (+0 -0.25dB). Distortion 0.1%. Noise and hum -95dB. Output impedance 1, 2, 4, and 8 ohms. (0.5, 1, 2, and 4 ohms in mono). Damping factor 16 or greater. Input impedance 100k. Input sensitivity 0.75v or 2.5v. Headphone impedance: low. Sentry Monitor. Power Guard.

FRONT PANEL: Anodized gold and black panel. Gain controls. Output mode lamps: normal or limit. Power sw: on or off. Headphone jack.

BACK PANEL: Output barrier strips. Audio inputs. AC outlet. Input level sw: 2.5v or .75v. Mode sw: stereo or mono. Power Guard sw: normal or out. Fuse.

Size 6-31/32"H, 16"W and 14-1/2"D. Weight 73 lb. Sold from 1976-1982. Last retail price $1199.00

Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
Re: Buy it or not? Old McIntosh SS
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 09:42:04 PM »
There's one on eBay for a bit less, but without the wood.  Personally I've never been a big fan of Mc SS, but YMMV.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 09:59:47 PM »
while I don't know a lot about this particular model you certainly wouldn't lose money if you were to pick it up and try it out.

i love the mcintosh solid state stuff, but that's just me.  and it's what i run :)
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 10:08:19 PM »
while I don't know a lot about this particular model you certainly wouldn't lose money if you were to pick it up and try it out.

i love the mcintosh solid state stuff, but that's just me.  and it's what i run :)

Certain years or even particular models, everyone has thier good and bad.  You're right, I could probably get my money back out of it, my only hangup is buying a pre as well just to give it a try.  The only info I could find was people talking about thier vintage gear, not really anyone that had new/old gear comps.
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 10:39:19 PM »
dude.  buy it!

what are you considering purchasing?  :lol:
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 10:44:45 PM »
what are you considering purchasing?  :lol:

:yack:

:thebirdman:

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 08:34:08 AM »
Let me know if you decide to pass on this, I would be interested in picking it up.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 07:15:44 PM »
Let me know if you decide to pass on this, I would be interested in picking it up.

I think I'm going to pass, I'll get in touch with Steve and see if I can snap some pictures for you if you want.  Give me a couple days, he's always on the go, but I should be able to catch up with him.

Offline Wiggler

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 07:30:07 PM »
Jerry used the Mc2300 to power his speakers in the seventies.
He played into a fender Twin Reverb amp with preamp outputs going to a Mcintosh 2300 amp. This powered three Alembic B-12 speaker cabinets which were stacked on their sides, so that he had a vertical column of speakers extending about eight feet into the air. They were stacked like this because it gave a much wider horizontal speread to the sound, with less spill going up into the rafters.

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 07:39:22 PM »

I think I'm going to pass, I'll get in touch with Steve and see if I can snap some pictures for you if you want.  Give me a couple days, he's always on the go, but I should be able to catch up with him.
no hurry when you get the time, very kind of you to do that.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com