(1/4) > >>

Nick S.:
Ok folks, so I'm looking to get a real home setup.  My current setup is
a pair of Mirage FRx 7 speakers
consumer Sony reciever
Lucid DA
Sony r500
Hhb burner

So obviously I'm in need of a major upgrade in my speakers and amp.  Looking to spend around $2000 tops.  I know nothing about home stereo stuff so you experts out there start shooting your recomendations out there.

thanks,
Nick

wboswell:
Sounds like a great idea.  Spend some of my money too.  Looking for the most bang for my buck.  Used gear is definately the way I'd like to go as well.

Also, I'd to have the option to watch movies in Dolby, but my priority is stereo playback of audience recordings.  The movie/tv stuff is strictly 2ndary.

dmonterisi:
My emphasis is two channel as well, but i really like home theater.  so the best compromise for me after a fair amount of listening was a marantz home theater receiver.  for a home theater box, it handles two channel stuff better than a lot of the lower-end separates i listened to.  i think they are really musical pieces.  very smooth, yet detailed but never harsh.  I bought a sr-19 receiver in like feb or march of 2000.  they've continued to improve on the basic designs of this line nicely.  it's not overly powerful but it's got enough for me.  115wx5, i believe, maybe 110.  they drive my N804's just fine.  Certainly the higher end separates play even more nicely with the 804's but i think it sounds great.  it's 3 years old and has stood up to technology pretty well.  it has plenty of direct inputs so i feed my sacd/dvd-a player's 6 channel analog outs (in dvd-a and sacd only) directly into.  the dac sounds great as well.  I'm very pleased with it.  I bought it new for 1500 in 2000.  I think you can get very good prices on these and subsequent models used on audiogon.com.  I definitely recommend them.  certainly no wave radio, but in reality, what is?  8)

when i do upgrade, i'm most likely staying with the all-in one HT receivers cause i watch a ton of movies and will probably step up to one of the Sunfire models.  But i will look into Marantz' higher end stuff.  I think they make great stuff that's not cheap but a good value.

good luck and take your time.

-damon

scervin:
Sunfire.....STAY AWAY FROM THIS!!! Actually they migt be under by then.  Look into Parasound Halo, B&K or even the ew Rotel gear.  
SC

dmonterisi:
why?  i don't know anythying about the company, but i've listened to some of their stuff and thought it sounds pretty nice.

-damon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version