Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

Major Stereo Upgrade

<< < (2/4) > >>

scervin:

--- Quote from: dmonterisi on August 29, 2003, 07:40:19 AM ---why?  i don't know anythying about the company, but i've listened to some of their stuff and thought it sounds pretty nice.

-damon

--- End quote ---

We must have listened on different systems.  The company is not in the best economic situation right now.  I think it is way over priced for what you get.  I heard too much noise and just didn't like the amps at all.  Now the Halo stuff...... man I wish I had an extr $6K around.

SC

Wiggler:
I have had bad luck with Sunfire myself.
I purchased one of those small signature subwoofers years ago
never worked very well and I sent it back to sunfire for repair.
It took them six weeks to send it back to me and they did nothing to repair it.

When purchasing new equipment keep your amps and pre seperate from any D/A processing because the amps never go out of date.
Amps from the 1960's and 1970's are still in demand today because amp technology doesn't change very much.
On the receiver side of things top of the line receivers that cost $3000 three years ago are all outdated by new technology and can be found on E-bay for about $500.00 obsolete technology.

I just made a upgrade purchase a few days ago.
Picked up this baby one of only 500 in the world and I think it's Stereophile Class A recommended.  Now to find some speakers to match it up with?
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/updates/m3int.htm

Nick S.:
Thanks for the tips guys, I am definately looking for something that will not be obsolete in 5 years so I will probably be going the pre/ amp route.  So after doing some research I kind of had my eye on the Rotel RB series (any idea how much juice I'm gonna need, my listening room is an open living room, high ceilings, wood floors)  but  wanted some pre recs.  I really like the tube sound (it was either a playback upgrade or some schoeps tubes, wisely I was talked into upgrading the playback first ;) so start throwing them my way.  I have heard good things about Mcintosh and my dealer carries them so that might be a starting point.  

thanks for the help guys,
Nick

JeffK:
Mcintosh will be a bit pricey, if you're looking to stay in your $2k pricerange for amps and speakers.

Trey was selling an Arcam integrated amp that would be a great deal (http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=571).  For the money, I'd say look into the B&W DM600 line of products... you most likely have a dealer that has em in stock so that you could demo.

scervin:

--- Quote from: Wiggler on August 29, 2003, 10:08:06 AM ---I have had bad luck with Sunfire myself.
I purchased one of those small signature subwoofers years ago
never worked very well and I sent it back to sunfire for repair.
It took them six weeks to send it back to me and they did nothing to repair it.

When purchasing new equipment keep your amps and pre seperate from any D/A processing because the amps never go out of date.
Amps from the 1960's and 1970's are still in demand today because amp technology doesn't change very much.
On the receiver side of things top of the line receivers that cost $3000 three years ago are all outdated by new technology and can be found on E-bay for about $500.00 obsolete technology.

I just made a upgrade purchase a few days ago.
Picked up this baby one of only 500 in the world and I think it's Stereophile Class A recommended.  Now to find some speakers to match it up with?
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/updates/m3int.htm

--- End quote ---

That looks mighty nice.  Once I start at the Tech Center I'll have to swing by after work to hear this beast!  
What Jeff said, McIntosh will be out your range for the time being.  There are many other great products out there. I think you can get the Parasound stuff pretty cheap on the used market.  There are so many pieces to choose from.  March on over to audiogon...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version