Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Klipsch speakers question  (Read 6325 times)

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Klipsch speakers question
« on: April 02, 2006, 09:23:21 PM »
So I'm looking for an affordable 5.1 surrond speaker and I was thinking of going with Klipsch Synergy Series Quintet II. I can get a set reasonable priced add a subwoofer and get a nice setup. I'm really over whelmed by all the choices and was wondering if Anybody has any experience or want to share their thought on these. 

They'll be used mainly for TV/DVD stuff, but they will see some use for CD/SACD/DVD-A stuff.

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
Re: Klipsch speakers question
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 10:36:05 PM »
So I'm looking for an affordable 5.1 surrond speaker and I was thinking of going with Klipsch Synergy Series Quintet II. I can get a set reasonable priced add a subwoofer and get a nice setup. I'm really over whelmed by all the choices and was wondering if Anybody has any experience or want to share their thought on these. 

They'll be used mainly for TV/DVD stuff, but they will see some use for CD/SACD/DVD-A stuff.

Affordable is a subjective term...  Define affordable to you, what budget you want to work with?
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 06:03:39 AM »
under $400

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 10:39:34 AM »
The new X series stuff from av123.com wil sound far better.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 01:19:57 PM »
too bad they are about twice as much as my spending limit.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 05:26:22 PM »
You can get a pair and a sub, or two pair, and you leave the centerchannel and sub for later.  Why are you wanting 5.1 at curiosity?   My advice, get the best 2 channels you can afford and add surround later.  Is your goal to listen to your music or your movies or both?  What percentage of each?
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 06:06:15 PM »
music and movies probably about equal usuage, but I could live without surround if it were only gonna be used for movies. The reason I want surround is that I am starting to get into DVD-Audio and want a decent system for playback.  I am also working on obtaining a 24/96 4 channel rig and was thinking of trying some surround stuff on my own tapes, and it would be nice to be able to listen to them in 5.1.

Honestly I agree with your philosphy to a certain exten about getting the best two channels I can now.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 03:35:15 PM »
All DVD-A and SACD releases have (at least) a 2-track mixdown, if not a seperate 2-channel mix. Given that you have only two ears, and that 2 properly designed and positioned speakers give a very realistic image, two channels are really enough.

Yes, if I had all the money in the world, I would buy a surround setup- but I don't. Put your money into a good 2-channel rig...

-Noah
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 03:46:56 PM »
I have the money, and I don't have surround because I think it adds about nothing to my aurul experience.  About a year and a half ago, I had surround and eneded up ditching the rear channels.  The amount of information that gets passed to the rear channels is next to nothing and doesn't sound all that great anyway.  Often, it is two channel stuff replicated and panned.  I also got the feeling that I needed a room about double the size of my current living room to enjoy it.   Buy the best two channels you can, and go from there.  You wil be much happier.  As far as DVD-A, I listen to quite a bit of dvd-a and have never listened to the surround portion of the disc.

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 04:08:34 PM »
If I were looking for a cheap deal on speakers for a 5.1 system, I'd consider these for my front main (or rear) speakers:

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/3241451

I have a 5.1 system, but have been upgrading my 2 channel playback recently.  I have some multi-channel DVD-A and SACD discs that sound fantastic, but the vast majority of my listening is from a 2 channel source.  Movies in 5.1 are pretty cool, in my opinion.  However, the surround tracks make up only a small portion of the entire soundtrack.  So, I've concluded that good front speakers for 2 channel listening are very important, but cheap stuff is fine for the surround speakers.  I've never been impressed with any of the digital surround settings (jazz club, rock concert, etc.) on my receiver, except for the "six channel stereo."  The other day I did some A/B comparisons between 2 channel and 6 channel (only 5 in my system because I don't have a rear center speaker) and I liked the 6 channel playback a lot.  The soundstage was much wider with all of the speakers playing.

http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline IowaClint

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 04:13:13 PM »
Ah, yes then there is 7.1.   I have a pretty high end klipsch set-up and love it.  But I would agree throw your money on two good fronts first then build around the two speakers.  I started with two Klipsch Quartet's then added a a Klipsch C-7 center channel, then three pairs of Klipsch Quintets to fill in the sound and a Klipsch 12 inch power sub.  I find myself mostly listening to 7.1 for music.  7 channels X 120 watts + power sub = an amazing full sound.   Just my .02
Clint

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 04:28:17 PM »
Ah, yes then there is 7.1.   I have a pretty high end klipsch set-up and love it.  But I would agree throw your money on two good fronts first then build around the two speakers.  I started with two Klipsch Quartet's then added a a Klipsch C-7 center channel, then three pairs of Klipsch Quintets to fill in the sound and a Klipsch 12 inch power sub.  I find myself mostly listening to 7.1 for music.  7 channels X 120 watts + power sub = an amazing full sound.   Just my .02
Clint

worth a read: http://news.designtechnica.com/talkback103.html
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 04:28:32 PM »
These would work for rear speakers and also for your front center.

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/3452183

3 of these plus 2 of the Polk for the front will only cost $200, which leaves you with enough for a cheap subwoofer, tax, and shipping.

You can't expect 6 speakers for $400 to sound as good as high end equipment, but I bet this setup will sound pretty good for the money.
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 05:28:14 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys. I am now thinking of just going with 2 channels. I was looking at some Mordaunt-Short models last night and they look amazing and the reviews are favorable. I'd like to find a place to test them out, but they seem hard to find in the USA. Also looking at some kilpsch RF-25 or RF-35. They would probably be easier to find to test out.

cshepherd

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 06:03:33 PM »
Wise move.  Speakers that cost $50 or even $100 are nothing more than a disservice to music.  Sorry, it has to be said.

Here's another option...the Rega R-1 stand mount.  They retail for $495/pair.  They're 90 db efficient so they'll play with anything.  They rarely come up on Audiogon, unlike their CD players.  This stereotimes review is pretty rosy.  Here are the last two sentences from the review...

The Rega R1 becomes my new budget reference speaker. In addition of its ability to get the fundamentals of music right, it adds clarity and resolution, and an ability to lay out a vivid and coherent 3-dimensional stereo image. In small room applications, what more could you want?

http://www.stereotimes.com/speak121305.shtm

If you live in or around a major city, there's probably a dealer within driving distance from you.  Rega is pretty popular budget hi-fi company.  They made their name on turntables.

Chris

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 06:12:05 PM »
Go used!  You'll get far more bang for your buck.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 06:33:13 PM »
I was in a similar boat last year. I had around a grand to put on speakers, but couldn't decide whether to go with a low end 5.1 setup or a (fairly) decent stereo pair.

I ended up with a pair of Klipsch F-3s and absolutely couldn't be happier. They sell for around $850 a pair so above your budget I know, but I'd recommend them to anyone regardless.

I love the Klipsch sound...
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

cshepherd

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 07:00:43 PM »
Go used!  You'll get far more bang for your buck.

I was looking over at Audiogon.  There's not much in the way of used speakers under $500.  There is a pair of VSA VR-1 standmounts for $650.  There's also a set of Neat Petite mk III's available for $650, which is a total steal considering their current $2000 msrp.  If I was buying a stand mount, the Petites would be on my short list.

Chris 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 07:16:24 PM »
I was looking over at Audiogon.  There's not much in the way of used speakers under $500.

That's true, the gear on A'gon is usually $$$.  In this case, I was thinking more along the lines of local shops.  People trade in speakers all the time in their search for "the sound".
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 07:33:53 PM »

Word.  I run Klipsch Heresy II's and I think they are sick as hell. I find them to be very detailed. The only issue I have is that they don't go very low in the frequency range, but that's nothing a little Velodyne couldn't help...  8)
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 08:22:01 PM »

Word.  I run Klipsch Heresy II's and I think they are sick as hell. I find them to be very detailed. The only issue I have is that they don't go very low in the frequency range, but that's nothing a little Velodyne couldn't help...  8)

Just the name "Heresy" alone makes up for anything they might be lacking in the lower octaves...  :P

Side note:

For under $400 check around and see if you can find a set of Boston Acoustic CR85's, inexpensive, but highly impressive for the big sound you can get out of a sub $300/pr of bookshelf speakers.  7" mid drivers and a nice neutral transparent presentation, but they can rock!  :drummer: :guitarist:
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 01:12:52 AM »
I have the money, and I don't have surround because I think it adds about nothing to my aurul experience.  About a year and a half ago, I had surround and eneded up ditching the rear channels.  The amount of information that gets passed to the rear channels is next to nothing and doesn't sound all that great anyway.  Often, it is two channel stuff replicated and panned.  I also got the feeling that I needed a room about double the size of my current living room to enjoy it.   Buy the best two channels you can, and go from there.  You wil be much happier.  As far as DVD-A, I listen to quite a bit of dvd-a and have never listened to the surround portion of the disc.

I can understand where you're coming from about 2 channel audio in surround, but DVD-A and SACD with the dicrete rear channels sound awesome

I listen to the downward spiral in 5.1 surround, and every channel is used fully.  The 5.1 mix just simply blows away the 2 channel
SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com