Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices USB Pre... what's it worth?  (Read 1465 times)

Offline taper420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Sound Devices USB Pre... what's it worth?
« on: April 04, 2006, 12:14:51 AM »
My friend has a used one of these.... the version with the digital in/out... he wants to sell it and I might want to buy it....givin the limitations (outdated, only 2 channels, only 48khz) and the benifits (good pre's and ADC's) what should I offer him? He's a good friend so I wanna offer him a fair price, but understandably I could get an equal box for much less than he paid for it 6 years ago. I mean I could get 96khz with 4 channels for around $200, but I'm sure the pre's and ADC wouldn't be as good. So what's a fair price to offer him  given the other options available on the market right now and should I even be spending (wasting?) my money on such an old piece of equipment?
Thanks for the help

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sound Devices USB Pre... what's it worth?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 09:47:31 AM »
i sold mine last year for $350. great piece of gear. sounds great.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 02:54:18 PM »
A lot of people here like these... I bought one and it sounded like ass to my ears.  I ran it with mbho's and studio projects c-1's and c-4's.  I thought it was muddy and severily lacking in detail. YMMV
     I tried to sell mine here for $275 and there were no takers, I then checked out ebay and they were going over $400.  I ended up selling for $410 BIN plus shipping on ebay.  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=46243.0
     As a warning, this box is incompatable with c-4's.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 03:51:34 PM »
mine sold for $350 on ebay a few months back, only 1 bidder.

I did have some stickers and velcro on it, and some minor paint wear around the corners, definitely was not mint condition in appearance.

I think this is a pretty solid and flexible box, mic, line, tape level analog ins, -15dB pad, SPDIF digi in, solid mic pres and IMHO sounds great for the price point. If I had to nitpick, it sounded a little dry/flat in the low end with my 4022's.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 03:56:35 PM by BC »
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline taper420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 04:52:06 AM »
Thank for the help guys....
Can someone tell me how the USBpre compares to boxes like the MAudio 410, the Edirol 101, the MOTU Ulttralite or the Presonus Firebox?
It'd be nice to have the extra channels but are these in the same league... they seem to be more consumer quality while the sounddevices seems more professional. And if that's the case what is a multichannel (more than 2) unit that compares in quality (pre's and ADC) to the USBpre?
Thanks again... i'd +T if I could

Edit: It has to be bus powered of course
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 06:16:33 AM by taper420 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com