Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Has anybody used one of these? (Really Nice Preamp)  (Read 2679 times)

Offline branas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Has anybody used one of these? (Really Nice Preamp)
« on: June 06, 2006, 09:50:28 AM »
I'm just wondering if anyone has used one of these pre-amps and what your experience was.

The "Really Nice Preamp" http://www.fmraudio.com/RNP8380.htm

It has good reviews all over the net. The RNP will run off  of DC 9-12V (1.5Amps). $499

http://emusician.com/mag/quickpick/emusic_fmr_audio/index.html
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jul03/articles/fmr.asp

Any comments appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 10:07:08 AM by branas »
Mobile - C414B-XLS/ST->V3->744T
Home/Studio - Various Mics->RNP/Vintech Dual72/Focusrite OctoPre->Digi002->ProToolsLE

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Old and in the way.
Re: Has anybody used one of these? (Really Nice Preamp)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 12:23:49 PM »
do a search on the archive for this, There have been a couple of threads about it.  The main thing I dislike about it for field use is that is has stepped gain.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline macroint

• Needs to get out more...
    • Jeff's List
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 12:27:39 PM »

The "Really Nice Preamp" http://www.fmraudio.com/RNP8380.htm

What happens when they upgrade the original model...does it become "The Really, Really Nice Preamp" or maybe "The Really Extra Nice Preamp"? It sounds like something better put out by Mattel (no offense intended if anyone uses it).
Peluso CEMC6>PS-2>AD-20>NJB3

SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC
http://baltimore-taper.blogspot.com

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 12:29:49 PM »
do a search on the archive for this, There have been a couple of threads about it.  The main thing I dislike about it for field use is that is has stepped gain.

Well, that pretty much rules it out in my book then...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline branas

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 02:31:58 PM »
The stepped gain is an issue, but the sound quality is supposed to be extraordinary for the price point. I will STF, I was just curious about opinions. I agree the name is cheesy too.
Mobile - C414B-XLS/ST->V3->744T
Home/Studio - Various Mics->RNP/Vintech Dual72/Focusrite OctoPre->Digi002->ProToolsLE

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 04:26:00 PM »
The stepped gain is an issue, but the sound quality is supposed to be extraordinary for the price point. I will STF, I was just curious about opinions. I agree the name is cheesy too.

the sound of the unit is nothing special.

RebelRebel

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 06:01:10 PM »
I had the chance to use one on a couple of occasions. The sound isnt anything to write home about,sort of a tubby low end has this funny mechanical sounding HF... and for my purposes, the noise floor of the thing was horrible.I think for rock music , it would be more appropriate.  the DAV BG-1 is world class, but it is AC only. Now that is a pre to write home about.  :)700 bucks. . If DC isnt absolutely necessary, I highly encourage checking it out. It is catching on like wildfire all over the net. I loved them so much, I ended up with 16 channels, and retired my Millennia HV-3C( 4 times the cost, and not as good an amp)

the davissound preamps are DC compatible too. Sound really nice, have the detail of something like the Grace or millennia, but with a more forward midrange and a bit more "euphonicness".
www.davissound.com  The designer is a very nice guy, and will customize the units in whatever manner you want. Same with DAV.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 06:04:05 PM by Teddy »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com