Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Powering the Firewire 410  (Read 6765 times)

Offline rePat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Powering the Firewire 410
« on: September 12, 2003, 12:46:43 AM »
Hi all,

Trying to absorb some of this battery info ??? ???  Wow, those eco's are pricey!!  Would something like this work:
http://www.batteryspace.com/product.asp?0=256&1=290&3=182

The specs match up, and they're light, but what kinda time would I expect to get from them??  And it looks like one of the xenotronix nihm chargers would also be compatible??  

So tell me less than 1/2 the price of an eco, could it be true?

+T for the help,

rePat
DPA 4021 >SD MP-2>Sony PCM M10

Church Audio Cardoids>Edirol R-09

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
Re:Powering the Firewire 410
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 10:55:55 AM »
you can always build it yourself. I built a 6V 7ah SLA to power my M1 using Powersonic parts for less than HALF the price of a similar ECO-Charge system

the water's clean and innocent

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003, 11:48:49 AM »
PM me...I have a 6 volt system, with charger I am looking to get rid of.

Daryan

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003, 12:03:54 PM »
i believe it requires 12v

DaryanLenz

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 12:49:42 PM »
Looking at the link, I would say those batteries are not high enough in capacity to be worth much.  I now run my mini-me off of 4 6v 4000mah nimh batteries, and I get about 4-6 hours run time off of each.  I have two wired in parallel so that I can run two batteries, switch batteries mid set, etc without causing a power interruption.  I would look for higher amh batteries on the same site, or else look into sla batteries.  Why not power it via the firewire?

Daryan

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2003, 01:20:08 PM »
Hey - I was just looking for the power consumption stats on that thing and they are nowhere to be found.  But I did find that the power supply it comes with is a 12V 1A so you know you probably don't need more than than 600mA because they'll always over spec the AC supply.

I wouldn't be surprised if it run fine on a 9.6 volt pack but you'd want to try it out before you buy.  To be save but you could grab a 12 volt or even two 6 volt batteries.  No need to lug around SLAs with that kind of low power consumption.  Lemme look at that Battery Space site - the searches are kinda sloppy there.

Here http://www.batteryspace.com/product.asp?3=172
$36 with a charger for a 4000mAh 12 volt.  That'll get you at least 6 hours of run time and you might even get away with using one of the connectors they throw in!  Shit, that's such a good deal I'm wishing I had something that took 12 volts!   :yack:

david
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline rePat

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2003, 09:09:19 PM »
Here http://www.batteryspace.com/product.asp?3=172
$36 with a charger for a 4000mAh 12 volt.  That'll get you at least 6 hours of run time and you might even get away with using one of the connectors they throw in!  Shit, that's such a good deal I'm wishing I had something that took 12 volts!   :yack:

david

$36 Wow, whatta deal.  +T to everyone that chimed in.  That looks like the ticket.  It can be powered by the Firewire bus, but only by 6-pin cable, and my lappy has only a 4-pin port.  I think as a backup, I will get a PCMCIA Firewire card.  My concern then will be how it affects the battery life on the lappy.  Which btw is a Compaq Presario X1000, P4-M 1.4Ghz Centrino, that should have plenty of battery time.  

rePat :thinking:
DPA 4021 >SD MP-2>Sony PCM M10

Church Audio Cardoids>Edirol R-09

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2003, 09:34:35 PM »
i think wes told me that a pcmcia firewire card does not supply power through the 6 pin port or that for whatever reason that solution does not work with his set up...so i'd check before you went and got the pcmcia card.

Offline Wes

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2003, 10:45:42 PM »
yeah.. thats right.  the pcmcia card doesn't cut it.. don't know why.  i've never seen a laptop with a built in 6 pin port.  they all have 4 pin.  m-audio needs to get their shit together.
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2003, 10:54:24 PM »
Every Mac has a 6 pin firewire port.  PC companies need to wake up and put them on there, it's not like they take up a lot of room...
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.365 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com