Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 24 bit FLAC Player Recommendations (Mac)  (Read 7434 times)

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
24 bit FLAC Player Recommendations (Mac)
« on: June 23, 2006, 12:54:55 PM »
Any programs similar to Foobar for Mac? I'd love an all in one (FLAC, AIFF, WAV, MP3, etc.), but as long as it will play 24 bit FLACs I'm good...the rest I can just use iTunes.

Thanks in advance...

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: 24 bit FLAC Player Recommendations (Mac)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 01:12:26 PM »
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline bgalizio

• http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 01:43:00 PM »
Cog

Cog doesn't work with 24bit FLAC files. I believe VLC does.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 02:04:29 PM »
VLC crashes to hell on my iBook and still doesn't play nice with core audio devices. As of now, I still do not know of one.

Has anyone in Mac world tried Foobar2k on an Intel machine?
Out of the game … for now?

Offline bgalizio

• http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 02:56:53 PM »
VLC crashes to hell on my iBook and still doesn't play nice with core audio devices. As of now, I still do not know of one.

Has anyone in Mac world tried Foobar2k on an Intel machine?

Do you mean in a virtualized Windows environment, like Parallels? FWIW, it works fine when I boot into Windows from my Intel iMac, but then again it should.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 07:03:32 PM »
No, I meant in dual boot mode. I wasn't sure how hardware support and stuff worked. If it worked in a virtual window, that would be awesome.

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
    • the wendy hour
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 01:55:54 PM »
^^bump for playing back 24bit flacs on my ibook...vlc doesnt want to play flacs (16 or 24 bit) at all here  >:(

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 05:28:47 PM »
winamp plays my 24 bit flac files just fine.

You have to DL a couple of plug-ins though.

I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • lost cause
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 07:51:56 PM »
I see there is an xmms port for OS X, have you tried that yet?
I don't use a mac so I'm not familiar with the options.. I also have not used xmms to play back 24 bit files but it's similar to winamp so I think it should work?
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
    • the wendy hour
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 07:57:21 PM »
winamp plays my 24 bit flac files just fine.

You have to DL a couple of plug-ins though.

even on osx?  that seems to be the prob here....

Offline jbraveman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 08:43:39 AM »
Play does it: http://sbooth.org/Play/

It doesn't play SHN's, however.

Offline growltiger

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 10:25:57 PM »
This is currently a known bug in VLC for OS X

https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/1260#preview

I second the recommendation to use Play - that's what I use - not the best interface, but sounds fine :)

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 09:52:59 AM »
After using VLC for a year or so I downloaded Play over the weekend - love it. Much better interface, easier file management, etc.

I'll still use VLC for the occasional video codec that Quicktime won't play, but using VLC for audio always felt like I was tinkering with a Linux box. It's not exactly "user friendly".
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline habit

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Archive Shows
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 11:31:49 AM »
Any programs similar to Foobar for Mac? I'd love an all in one (FLAC, AIFF, WAV, MP3, etc.), but as long as it will play 24 bit FLACs I'm good...the rest I can just use iTunes.

Thanks in advance...

Is there a program that will make the iPod 24b WAV compatible? Have 60g iPod that would ge a lot more use if I could play 24b on.

Thanks,

jeff
Busman Mod R4 Pro | Schoeps M222 | Schoeps MK4 & 41

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 04:37:02 PM »

Thanks in advance...

Is there a program that will make the iPod 24b WAV compatible? Have 60g iPod that would ge a lot more use if I could play 24b on.

Thanks,

jeff

Itunes will play 24 bit Apple Lossless files and you can transfer these to your Ipod.
I use Max to convert from 24 Bit flac or wav to .m4a (Apple Lossless)
http://sbooth.org/Max/

edit to add: Itunes also will convert 24 bit wave to Apple Lossless 24 bit
just don't convert 24 bit Apple Lossless to wav or aiff (Itunes will only convert to 16 bit)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 04:51:08 PM by edtyre »
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline habit

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Archive Shows
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2007, 04:59:07 PM »
Thanks much for the info!
Busman Mod R4 Pro | Schoeps M222 | Schoeps MK4 & 41

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 05:29:43 PM »
I downloaded Play a minute ago and like it so far.  One major thing I hate about it is that it will not display the filenames of the flacs that you are playing.  The only info that is shown is what is in the flac tags, which I sometimes do not fill in.  When I did go back and complete flac tags for a 2 disc show, the software did not recognize disc number (expected) and also did not care about the leading zeros on the track number, so it ended up looking like this: d1t01, d2t01, d1t02, d2t02, etc.  I took a screenshot in case that doesn't make sense.

Still not a bad program, I might use it to play some archive studio albums that I keep in flac, but until then the hunt continues for a really strong 24-bit FLAC player for OSX.

Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 06:00:59 PM »
For those who use play, is there a way to arbitrarily arrange a playlist? Mine always seems to sort by one category or another.

Offline mandoman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 05:47:25 PM »
Play looks interesting, I'll have to give that a try. I've been using XMMS on my G4,
but am upgrading to an intel mac soon and will need something new.

Toast 7 and above can also playback flac files (though not sure about 24bit), I use that to burn
audio cd's directly from flacs all of the time.

We need a petition for apple to support flac under quicktime (than it would work under itunes).
There was rumor that quicktime was going to eventually support flacs, but not sure what happened.
Maybe under Leopard? No way I'm using proprietary Apple Lossless...

Any software gurus out there want to develop a flac quicktime codec? There used
to be one a long time ago but it's long since broken.

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 02:57:29 PM »
Play looks interesting, I'll have to give that a try. I've been using XMMS on my G4,
but am upgrading to an intel mac soon and will need something new.

Toast 7 and above can also playback flac files (though not sure about 24bit), I use that to burn
audio cd's directly from flacs all of the time.

We need a petition for apple to support flac under quicktime (than it would work under itunes).
There was rumor that quicktime was going to eventually support flacs, but not sure what happened.
Maybe under Leopard? No way I'm using proprietary Apple Lossless...

Any software gurus out there want to develop a flac quicktime codec? There used
to be one a long time ago but it's long since broken.

Folks who've installed the developer build of Leopard have reported that FLAC support is included.  I haven't heard specifically about FLAC24, and I'd assume most folks have only tested FLAC16 and don't give much thought to 24-bit audio.  Fingers crossed!  The MacMini makes a great little HTPC, and a refurb at $479 for 1.83GHz, 512MB, 80GB & Superdrive is damn hard to beat... but much harder to beat if iTunes and Quicktime would support FLAC(16/24) out of the box.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2007, 02:14:09 PM »
I downloaded Play a minute ago and like it so far.  One major thing I hate about it is that it will not display the filenames of the flacs that you are playing.  The only info that is shown is what is in the flac tags, which I sometimes do not fill in.  When I did go back and complete flac tags for a 2 disc show, the software did not recognize disc number (expected) and also did not care about the leading zeros on the track number, so it ended up looking like this: d1t01, d2t01, d1t02, d2t02, etc.  I took a screenshot in case that doesn't make sense.

Still not a bad program, I might use it to play some archive studio albums that I keep in flac, but until then the hunt continues for a really strong 24-bit FLAC player for OSX.

Control-click in the headings for the library and/or playlist and you'll get a pop-up menu with a bunch of different display category options.  One of them is "filename".  Select it and you should be good to go.

I was frustrated by this at first as well until I figured out the above.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2007, 04:22:04 PM »

Control-click in the headings for the library and/or playlist and you'll get a pop-up menu with a bunch of different display category options.  One of them is "filename".  Select it and you should be good to go.

I was frustrated by this at first as well until I figured out the above.

Oh, ok.  This helps me out a ton, thanks!  +T.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com