Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Extending the cable on these?  (Read 3316 times)

Offline Ryan Sims

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
Extending the cable on these?
« on: July 19, 2006, 10:25:24 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/Audio-Technica-AT853a-Hanging-Choir-Conference-Mic-AT_W0QQitemZ280006296837QQihZ018QQcategoryZ133009QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I want to buy a couple of these, but I definitely need cables longer than 24".  I know I need the phantom adaptors too, when I get these, is it as simple as just throwing another full sized XLR cable on there?  This is what I hope, considering I have zero experience with any sort of electronics modification.

P.S. I know the white is hideous, but I can deal with it for this price.

Thanks guys.
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Extending the cable on these?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 10:50:12 AM »
they look like they have XLR mini connectors.  if so, then just get two XLRmini > XLRmini cables and you're good to go.  Samson makes phantom adapters that need XLRmini anyways, so you're golden...
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Something
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 11:17:06 AM »
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/c0075f38c1add6ad/index.html

According to those specs, it looks like you're right (if XLRM is indeed mini, can't think of what else it might be).  That's fantastic.

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 11:48:49 AM »
XLRM usually means XLR male, but as I said, these appear to be terminated w/ XLR mini female connectors ( "TA3F output connector that mates with TB3M jack on power module" from the AT page).  So you would need XLR mini male > XLR mini female cables.  Shoot the guy a email and ask him for specifics on the termination...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 11:56:45 AM by Scooter »
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Something
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 11:58:44 AM »
Someone already asked actually, now that I look.  Turns out they're terminated in 4-pin mini xlr.  I don't know what that means as far as a power module, but I've searched high and low for a 4-pin cable and I can't find it, which is great, considering I pulled the trigger already.   :P 

Might be experimentation time for old Slimer.

Offline fozzy

• Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 12:02:44 PM »
he states they are ta4f (common for wireless TX).  To extend your would need to make or have made a ta4m > ta3f/ mini/whatever cable.  Probably be best to have someone on here modify them to ta3f on the mic side and get a ta3m > ta3f extension cable, or just splice in a hardwired extension and terminate into desired connector for your powering source.

If you just want to extend the ta4f, shure makes a 15' cable for around $30 if i remember correctly

My solution will be to chop them even shorter to about 3", splice in 1 1804a length[3'](ala schoeps KCY), terminate into single ta3f, custom 3wire batterybox w/ 1 B3M connector.

MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Something
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 12:17:42 PM »
he states they are ta4f (common for wireless TX).  To extend your would need to make or have made a ta4m > ta3f/ mini/whatever cable.  Probably be best to have someone on here modify them to ta3f on the mic side and get a ta3m > ta3f extension cable, or just splice in a hardwired extension and terminate into desired connector for your powering source.

If you just want to extend the ta4f, shure makes a 15' cable for around $30 if i remember correctly

My solution will be to chop them even shorter to about 3", splice in 1 1804a length[3'](ala schoeps KCY), terminate into single ta3f, custom 3wire batterybox w/ 1 B3M connector.

I would like that a lot, except that I want to run these open too, so I need at least 20' probably.  And what's a B3M?

Offline fozzy

• Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 01:31:31 PM »

I would like that a lot, except that I want to run these open too, so I need at least 20' probably.  And what's a B3M?

B3M is the panelmount version for the battery box I am whipping up.  To run open You could jext get a ta3m > ta3f cable made up at any length
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Something
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 02:58:35 PM »
+T's to both of you for the help.  Fozzy, PM on the way.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com