Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Interesting cable observation  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Interesting cable observation
« on: August 07, 2006, 08:00:23 AM »
please, this is not a shameless plug.

over the weekend I did some recording.  having no cables of my own for a pair of mics, I grabbed som Hydra's off my bench (that I thought were finished).
well, they were not.  one wire had not been connected yet (didnt know until it was too late).  so I had to borrow a 50' monster XLR from the sound crew.

so i'm running this python of a cable on one mic, my skinny lil' 15' hydra on the other.
I noitce that the 50' side had to have WAY more gain to get the levels even, or close to even.  Not just that, but it sounds (that channel) like it was recording through 6 pairs of wool socks comparred to the sparkeling sound of the 15' hydra channel.

amazing what resistance can do to an audio signal.

Offline JoeKiller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
Re: Interesting cable observation
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 09:21:56 AM »
I proudly use Nick's Silver Hydra cables.  They help me pull Duo + Gordon.  I love Duo and Gordon, I love the hydra cables.  /end plug +1
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline Jammin72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Interesting cable observation
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 01:29:03 PM »
I came to the conclusion last night that one of my cables has a slightly different impedance than the other.  For the last few years I've always had the right channel be a little hotter than the left.  At first I thought mics but no... they change posistions at random.  Then I thought pre, perhaps the edirol wasn't quite calibrated, besides those knobs aren't exactly precision.  But now on the 660, the same thing!  Only constant in the equation... My Red Canare Star-Quad that always goes on the right mic!

So now... I've sent nick a PM.   ;D
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com