Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SONY PCM D1 questions  (Read 1529 times)

Offline noam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
SONY PCM D1 questions
« on: September 19, 2006, 10:03:04 AM »
1) I just got the SONY PCM-D1. I use Schoeps with Sonosax. Previously, when I hooked up the Sonosax to the line in of my HiMD, I set the gain on the HiMD on max (30/30), assuming that that was the unitary gain point and that the HiMD did not amplify the signal coming from line in. Any idea what is the unitary gain point for the D1? If it’s any help, the manual says that the line in amplifier is AD8672, “provided by Analog Devices.”

2) SBM (Super Bit Mapping function) – the manual says it reduces noise when taping on 16 bit and “significantly increases dynamic range acoustically by reducing noise that is particularly easy to hear within the human audible band. In order to improve the audio quality when converting 20-bit data into 16 bit, the top 4-bit amount of information within the lower data, which is usually thrown away, is integrated into 16-bit data.” Should I use this function?

3) Limiter (preventing distortion) – “the recorder always reserves audio for the digital limiter, which is 20dB lower than audio processed in the normal circuit. This compensates for clipping that happens during digital processing if audio is over-input.---Limiter circuit functions to keep the signal level below the maximum input level. When a loud sound is suddenly input, the excess part of the sound is automatically set within the range of the maximum input level in order to prevent distortion. The limiter circuit of the recorder does not compensate for clipping when audio over 20dB is input. In this case sound may distort.” I never used the AGC function on the HiMD, but this looks like a more sophisticated function. I am tempted to use it – any thoughts?

Noam

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com