Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: tight connections good or bad  (Read 2822 times)

Offline panther65

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
tight connections good or bad
« on: October 07, 2006, 12:12:41 PM »
I had an extra pair of Synergistic Research Luminesence cables that I used for a soundboard patch. The cables are of high quality and sound great, but the connection is quite tight into the rca ins of my HD-P2. I worry about loosening the connections on my Tascam. Is there a way to make the connection of the cable not so tight? If not, are there cables out there with looser connectors?
Schoeps MK4>KCY250/5I>Schoeps VMS 5 U>Tascam HD-P2

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: tight connections good or bad
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 12:46:03 AM »
I had an extra pair of Synergistic Research Luminesence cables that I used for a soundboard patch. The cables are of high quality and sound great, but the connection is quite tight into the rca ins of my HD-P2. I worry about loosening the connections on my Tascam. Is there a way to make the connection of the cable not so tight? If not, are there cables out there with looser connectors?

There is no standard with RCA most use a crimp method for keeping electrical contact. I think tight is good lose is bad so, don't worry over time your RCA cables with "open up" and they will be easier to plug in if its a matter of applying brute force to plug them in take a small pair of pliers and bend the outside ring out slightly be careful not to go to far. If the center pole is the problem then you have to replace the cable ends. Most of these "high end cables" use dollar store connectors. I like Neutric or Switchcraft they work and provide good electrical contact. I also use Deoxit on my connectors this helps lubricate and prevent oxidation of the connections. Let me know if you need a source link for Deoxit.

Chris Church
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 12:11:29 PM »
Moke's right. If you feel like you really have to force the connections together, they are too tight.  There is a difference between snug and tight and some of the "high end" connectors are way tighter than necessary.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 12:16:43 PM »
tight connectors can/do break stuff!
I build my own cables with Canare rca ends. They are snug, but not tight, and don't require twisting or force to get on and off.

Another vote here for the Canare RCA connectors.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 01:00:15 AM »
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com