Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to handle Taping general admission shows(standing room only)?  (Read 4874 times)

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
I recently tried to tape a general admission show THE CULT and unless I was up against the front rail--front or stack side, I am in a pack of people getting bumped all the time. If there is anyone out there that has some tips on taping in such an environment I would really appreciate it.   How does one tape when its general admission (standing only there are no seats) and your just standing next to body after body?

I could not take it as I bailed after the first song.  My first bail out of taping.

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: How to handle Taping general admission shows(standing room only)?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 11:15:18 PM »
The ratio of idiot to normal people goes down as you back away from the stage. Besides, it sounds better about 25 ft back from the stage than up front where the moshers like to be.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 11:20:02 PM »
thanks, i was thinking the same thing but I am not tall--i am 5 foot 7 inches tall and even 25 feet back with standing room only and the venue only holds say 2,000 people its very tight.  But a lot of good bands come this way--florida I mean.  I just end up seeing the back of people's shirt and they bump up against me from all directions

Its frustrating

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 11:26:48 PM »
The ratio of idiot to normal people goes down as you back away from the stage.
nice way of putting it +T

Offline tfs8271

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 12:17:08 AM »
Back up and bring a friend or two to help shield off people. Just think sweet spot. Therefore, go for the sound not weather you can see the band or not.
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline gewwang

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 12:28:44 AM »
Back up and bring a friend or two to help shield off people. Just think sweet spot. Therefore, go for the sound not weather you can see the band or not.

Because I go solo when I stealth about 90% of the time, one tactic I've learned to do is to get there early and try to find a nicely groomed couple coming in. Then if they stand anywhere near the center, I'll try to position my hat right between their heads. This only works when it looks like neither of them is drinking and nicely groomed eliminates the chance that either of them are screamers or rebel yellers. I also find that couples like this aren't seat jumpers so I don't have to worry about them moving and having to find a new couple to stand behind.

Plan B is to find a tall guy because tall guys usually aren't screamers or yellers. I have a theory that taller people tend to be more confident and don't feel the need to bring attention to themselves to compensate for being insecure like shorter people, which at 5'8'' I fall into the shorter category myself. Depending on the act, I will sacrifice a clear view of the show and stand behind a tall person to get a better tape.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 12:51:05 AM »

Because I go solo when I stealth about 90% of the time, one tactic I've learned to do is to get there early and try to find a nicely groomed couple coming in. Then if they stand anywhere near the center, I'll try to position my hat right between their heads. This only works when it looks like neither of them is drinking and nicely groomed eliminates the chance that either of them are screamers or rebel yellers. I also find that couples like this aren't seat jumpers so I don't have to worry about them moving and having to find a new couple to stand behind.

Plan B is to find a tall guy because tall guys usually aren't screamers or yellers. I have a theory that taller people tend to be more confident and don't feel the need to bring attention to themselves to compensate for being insecure like shorter people, which at 5'8'' I fall into the shorter category myself. Depending on the act, I will sacrifice a clear view of the show and stand behind a tall person to get a better tape.

Hey just to add to that, if there are any pillars or blocked sightlines, stand either right in front (if you can, prime spot), or more likely just behind.  Either way, that will limit the bumping in your immediate area.  But overall, stealth, or lowpro taping in general, is a pain.  Fortunately gear is getting smaller, but it is still a challenging getting our mics "in the pocket"...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 01:00:23 AM »
thank you for the great tips. In one particular venue where it is general admission and its standing room only, in addition the venue holds only 2,000 people its hard to find a good spot since the "pool" to choose from is smaller than a big arena.

I know everyone like the "seet spot"
but what do you think about right up front on the rail in front of a stack?  I did wolfmother that way and it turned out good. I just have to adjust the gain while recording.   I find when i triangulate my location the vocals do not come in as good.

Offline gewwang

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 02:18:51 AM »
thank you for the great tips. In one particular venue where it is general admission and its standing room only, in addition the venue holds only 2,000 people its hard to find a good spot since the "pool" to choose from is smaller than a big arena.

I know everyone like the "seet spot"
but what do you think about right up front on the rail in front of a stack?  I did wolfmother that way and it turned out good. I just have to adjust the gain while recording.   I find when i triangulate my location the vocals do not come in as good.

Stack taping is hit or miss. If you set up in front of a stack and then the show starts and all you're getting is the bass cabinets, your chance of moving back into a better sounding position is small.

If I'm going to go thru all the effort to sneak my $4k worth of gear in and risk getting tossed from the venue if caught, I might as well get there early enough to be in the sweet spot. Then if the music starts and I have to adjust because I have a loud screamer near or the soundman doesn't have it dialed in right for the 25 ft center spot, then at least it will be easier to move out of the prime spot over to the stack or move back a little while staying centered where 99% of the time the soundguy is located and is mixing the sound for.

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 07:04:21 AM »
but what do you think about right up front on the rail in front of a stack?  I did wolfmother that way and it turned out good. I just have to adjust the gain while recording.

Just set your levels low enough so they peak anywhere from -12dB to -6dB during the opening band (if there is any) or just guess them (if there is no opening band). With 24-bit recorders low levels shouldn't be that much of a problem anymore. I do that because I find the chance of getting caught while adjusting the gain to be quite high in the first row. Other than that, try to get a good sounding spot when they play the pre-show ambient music (is there a better word for it?). If it sounds too bassy, move a little bit to the left or right because you probably don't want to end up recording the bass only ;)

Oh, and I also found the "side stacks" (stacks pointing to the sides at spots where you can barely see the artist) to be great to tape in front of. There's usually not that many idiots at spots where they can't see the show (or can't be seen themselves by other idiots).

Offline grayp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If I was a cactus I wouldn't need so much water
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 12:12:17 PM »
thanks, i was thinking the same thing but I am not tall--i am 5 foot 7 inches tall and even 25 feet back with standing room only and the venue only holds say 2,000 people its very tight.  But a lot of good bands come this way--florida I mean.  I just end up seeing the back of people's shirt and they bump up against me from all directions

Its frustrating

was this at jannus landing on friday?   if so, i think the spot where the cable from the stage cover comes down is perfect.  if you've been to an open taping show there its where everyone sets up.   there are also a few 3 foot high yellow poles there which will help with the traffic.  its dead center maybe 30 feet back.

there is also a pole much closer up in the center that might provide some shielding.   to georges point, there are probably more bozos up there.

Akg 480/ck61/ck62/ck63 (a61 swivels if fob)->m148->722

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006, 03:48:36 PM »
yes it was Jannus landing on friday night but not open taping.  yes I know the poles thanks so much, that is were i set up for edwin mccain which was open taping a couple of weeks earlier.  Jannus is jsut general admission standing room only--its tough to find a good spot for non tape friendly bands

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 05:43:13 PM »
ive taped at jannus only a few times but the 2nd pole back that grayp mentioned is pretty good...if you can get there early enough id stand on one of the benches that wrap around the trees.  Its been a few years since Ive been there but I did tape POD while standing on the bench and it was nice being a few feet higher then everyone else. 

You gonna be at the Sevendust show on New Years?  If you are you should get your tix (if you havnt already picked them up) as I'm sure it will sell out.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline Bart.VL71

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 05:24:16 AM »
The ratio of idiot to normal people goes down as you back away from the stage. Besides, it sounds better about 25 ft back from the stage than up front where the moshers like to be.

And the ratio of annoying chatters and laughers to quiet people goes up, unfortunately.

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 12:55:02 PM »
Bring some friends, throw up a stand, and be prepared to take a few lumps. There's not much way around it.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com