Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SoundCard suggestions? (was SoundBlaster Extigy?)  (Read 9698 times)

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
SoundCard suggestions? (was SoundBlaster Extigy?)
« on: October 06, 2003, 01:24:49 PM »
I know it's been discussed here before and there are resampling issues with this unit, but I'm looking for an affordable external soundcard to do DAT transfers with my laptop. I've been previously doing transfer via a M-Audio 2496 in my desktop, then tracking with SoundForge but have had numerous issues with pop's and click's in my playback and I can't figure out why. (Believe me... I've tried MANY different solutions/suggestions) Any other external soundcards out there in the $150-200 range? It's a shame I have to sit on all these DAT's and can't listen to them.  :really_sucks:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2003, 11:29:07 PM by stejampzy »
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re:SoundBlaster Extigy? Anyone use it?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2003, 05:21:42 PM »
I have an Extigy...you do not want one if you know how to install an internal soundcard.  I can hear a clear difference between my DAT plugged into my stereo and the CDs...this is BAD!  If your tapes are usually bassy or you tape pretty close to the source then you might not be so dissapointed.  

I will say it is an incredibly easy to use unit, but you can definatly get a better soundcard for the money.

One question for ya...are the pops and clicks inbetween songs or during the  music and do you hear them on the Cds or just when you playback thru soundforge?
AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 10:01:46 PM »
The pops and clicks are during the music and are present when playing back through SoundForge and on CD. It isn't too noticable on the CD's, but it's definitely there. Not sure what else to do -- I've tried several different things (reinstalling my card, wiping the connections with a clean cloth, changing the buffer, zapping them out one-by-one... nothing seems to work fully). Thanks for the info. Any info on a different soundcard is great.

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 10:47:19 PM »
set your DMA buffer higher....changing to a SB card will not solve the issue more than likely

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
Re:SoundCard suggestions? (was SoundBlaster Extigy?)
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2003, 11:31:44 PM »
Here are the spec's on my laptop:

Dell Latitude CPx
Intel Pentium III
Windows 98
128 MB of RAM
2 PCI slots

I'll primarily be using the soundcard for DAT transfers only. I have no plans to record in the field at this time. Any ideas? I'd like something in the $50-200 range, if possible. Thanks.

Go Red Sox!!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2003, 11:32:16 PM by stejampzy »

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

cpclark

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2003, 12:10:07 AM »
i used a ua-5 for awhile for trasfers, offers up to 24/96 and im gonna be getting a vxpocketV2 which i think is only 16/48, but i dont do 24 bit so no problems, go with a ua-5, use it in the field or in the home studio, .02 hope this helps

cpclark

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2003, 12:11:31 AM »
both can be had for under $250

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2003, 06:56:50 AM »
I have a PIII 450 Mhz, running XP corporate and I have had minimal issues with the audiophile 2496, whereas the audiowerk2 caused nothing but problems...I would recommend the audiohphile to anyone

Offline mniven

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2003, 08:33:58 AM »
Regarding the pops and clicks: When you were transferring were you sure to close down all other programs, especially video intensive ones (i.e. Web browser)?

Having other programs running can result in pops and clicks during the transfer.

You probably already tried that, but I just wanted to throw it out.

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2003, 12:06:23 PM »
Yeah. I've made sure everything is in turned off including all extra graphics and all sounds, my screensaver.... everything! I've defragged right before transferring and nothing seems to work.

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2003, 12:07:11 PM »
I have a PIII 450 Mhz, running XP corporate and I have had minimal issues with the audiophile 2496, whereas the audiowerk2 caused nothing but problems...I would recommend the audiohphile to anyone

I have this audiophile for my desktop but I'm pretty sure there's no where to put it in my laptop. Oy!

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline gonads

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2003, 01:43:20 PM »
vx pocket, goes up to 24/48 if you need it and can be had for around $150, new on ebay.
My Attitude Sucks

DaryanLenz

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2003, 01:52:22 PM »
sek'd prodif plus..used of course.  I transfer, cruise the internet, burn cd's etc without any problems whatsoever.  Stable as hell.  You guys that get these dropouts and stuff just need better hardware I think.  I don't have a darn thing turned off on my DAW except background services and I am always good to go on wiindows 2000 pro.

Daryan

Offline gonads

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2003, 01:56:26 PM »
he's looking for a lappy though... does the sek'd work on lappy's?

and I agree on the cause of dropouts... I've never had any problems and I cruise the net and fuck around with nothing turned off with no problems.
My Attitude Sucks

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2003, 03:06:21 PM »
vxpocket v2 is $500 brand new! Ouch. I'm gonna check eBay. Is there a different model I should be looking for? or is this correct? Thanks for the input!

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2003, 06:46:33 PM »
vxpocket v2 is $500 brand new! Ouch. I'm gonna check eBay. Is there a different model I should be looking for? or is this correct? Thanks for the input!
try jdsound.com, they always have vxpockets for way cheap
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2003, 07:48:51 PM »
$399 at jdsound. I'll keep checking eBay.... there's got to be one around $150-200 sooner or later. Thanks for the help.

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2003, 08:08:52 PM »
I have this audiophile for my desktop but I'm pretty sure there's no where to put it in my laptop. Oy!

good call...sorry, was speed reading  8)

Offline hoobash

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2003, 02:27:35 AM »
I have a audiophile 2496 and I have put it in MANY machines it works fine. Sometimes you have to put it different pci slots to get a different irq. Its a good idea to swap around any cards that are in the machine until the audiophile has its own irq. The card can share a irq and still work fine but sometimes it can cause a issue. Alot of clicks and pops arent cuased by the soundcard but are data path issues. Prob a hard drive issue. Make sure you close all programs that are runing in the background. You should figure out the real issue before you get a new soundcard
« Last Edit: October 08, 2003, 02:29:04 AM by hoobash »

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2003, 11:40:17 AM »
The pops and clicks are during the music and are present when playing back through SoundForge and on CD. It isn't too noticable on the CD's, but it's definitely there. Not sure what else to do -- I've tried several different things (reinstalling my card, wiping the connections with a clean cloth, changing the buffer, zapping them out one-by-one... nothing seems to work fully). Thanks for the info. Any info on a different soundcard is great.

It doesn't sound like you want more suggestions on your pc setup but I'll give you one anyways  ;)

And only because it's worked many times for many people...

the Graphics acceleration setting on windows - set it to minimal
Using it seems to create lots of bus traffic that can interfere with clean transfers.

Where you'll find it depends on which OS - it's usually under My Computer, properties, advanced, performance options I think.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2003, 03:28:45 PM »

I've tried that and it doesn't work either. ;) Thanks though. I'm beginning to think there is an internal issue of some sort. I have pop's and click's in both SoundForge and Cool Edit and simply can't get rid of them. It sucks!

It doesn't sound like you want more suggestions on your pc setup but I'll give you one anyways  ;)

And only because it's worked many times for many people...

the Graphics acceleration setting on windows - set it to minimal
Using it seems to create lots of bus traffic that can interfere with clean transfers.

Where you'll find it depends on which OS - it's usually under My Computer, properties, advanced, performance options I think.

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com