Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: outdoor speakers recs  (Read 6588 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
outdoor speakers recs
« on: November 18, 2006, 12:10:58 PM »
My wife and I are closing on a new house at the end of december, and on the screened in porch, they have outdoor speakers wired.  Currently they have a set of KLH speakers out there.  Honestly I have no idea how they sound, but I am guessing I will likely want to upgrade when I get in.  I have been poking around and see that polk and jbl have some offerings, but am curious if anyone has some first hand experience.  I am not looking for a huge investment (sub $400), but something that I can be happy with listening to as with the screen porch and hot tub outside, I am guessing we will be out there quite a bit.  These will be mounted on the side of the house, so not on the ground, and in the screened in porch, so no direct snow/rain.

Appreciate any input!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 12:13:45 PM by nickgregory »

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: outdoor speakers recs
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 01:32:33 PM »
Personally I would get the cheapest things out there. 

To be honest I just have some Audiosource POS and they work great for listening to the race or game while doing yard work.  They work well when we have people over too.  Got them for $50 off ebay or amazon.com.

I would spend as little as possible, but get at least 6.5" mid/bass driver.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 01:34:45 PM »
Personally I would get the cheapest things out there. 

To be honest I just have some Audiosource POS and they work great for listening to the race or game while doing yard work.  They work well when we have people over too.  Got them for $50 off ebay or amazon.com.

I would spend as little as possible, but get at least 6.5" mid/bass driver.

good to know.  From what I have read the 6.5" driver is important to get any bass, but outside of that the opinions are similar to yours.  Guess I will give the KLHs a listen that are there and go from there.

Thanks Scott.

Offline grayp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If I was a cactus I wouldn't need so much water
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 10:39:57 AM »
we had the bose outdoor small speakers in va.   they sounded pretty good for outdoor listening.    not fantasitc but did the trick well.

it was funny when we sold the house the buyers put in the contract that the speakers had to go with the house.   gina was ready to say no to the deal over the speakers.   i told her they were like $100 for the pair and we could go buy a new pair whenever we wanted.    certainly not worth declining the contract :P
a friend picked up a pair of the same speakers at goodwill a few weeks ago for $10

hopefully she's not reading this but I think she stays out of the playback forum :)

Akg 480/ck61/ck62/ck63 (a61 swivels if fob)->m148->722

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 11:06:10 AM »
we had the bose outdoor small speakers in va.   they sounded pretty good for outdoor listening.    not fantasitc but did the trick well.

it was funny when we sold the house the buyers put in the contract that the speakers had to go with the house.   gina was ready to say no to the deal over the speakers.   i told her they were like $100 for the pair and we could go buy a new pair whenever we wanted.    certainly not worth declining the contract :P
a friend picked up a pair of the same speakers at goodwill a few weeks ago for $10

hopefully she's not reading this but I think she stays out of the playback forum :)

funny....we are actually selling our current house now, and we have a mobile island in the kitchen now, cost like $300...buyers put it in the contract that it had to stay and my wife flipped out...especially funny given we both knew it had no room in the new house based on style and new kitchen...it was the principle for her :-)

Thanks for the input...I do think I am going to give the KLHs that are there a listen before I make any rash judgements, but I went by a friends house the other night and he has a pair of these:

and they sounded surprisingly good...not great, but for the application...solid, and they can be had for around $100...

will post back when I get in the house in a month or so as to where I end up in case anyone is interested...

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 11:12:43 AM »
I have outdoor speakers out on my deck and they sound pretty good.  I think they might actually be KLH, though I really don't remember.  I'll check when I'm home and let you know.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 11:21:35 AM »
I have outdoor speakers out on my deck and they sound pretty good.  I think they might actually be KLH, though I really don't remember.  I'll check when I'm home and let you know.

thanks Todd...would be interested to know!

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 11:23:38 AM »
I'll check with my parents tomorrow too. They have something on their deck which are very passable.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 11:28:47 AM »

funny....we are actually selling our current house now, and we have a mobile island in the kitchen now, cost like $300...buyers put it in the contract that it had to stay and my wife flipped out...especially funny given we both knew it had no room in the new house based on style and new kitchen...it was the principle for her :-)

Thanks for the input...I do think I am going to give the KLHs that are there a listen before I make any rash judgements, but I went by a friends house the other night and he has a pair of these:

and they sounded surprisingly good...not great, but for the application...solid, and they can be had for around $100...

will post back when I get in the house in a month or so as to where I end up in case anyone is interested...

is that the northridge series?   I blew a woofer on one of those... fwiw...
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 11:29:18 AM »
nick, you gotta get the ones that look like rocks dude!  Those are awesome.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 11:46:12 AM »
nick, you gotta get the ones that look like rocks dude!  Those are awesome.

dont need them...they are going mounted on the wall of the house under the screened in porch.

And yes, those are the northridge series..good to know you blew the woofer....of course that could be all the death metal :P

Offline newscane

• Taperssection Member
    • somuchtosay.net
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 08:57:12 PM »
When I was looking at condos, one listing said the ceiling fan was included with the place.  We specified it in the offer, and then they said it wasn't included.   >:(  Of course, that wound up falling apart for pricing reasons, but still... there was the principle of the matter...
Current rig: Avantone CK-1 > UA-5 > DR-100mk11
Retired: JB3

My (DMB) shows: http://www.dmbexchange.com/list.php?user=newscane
My website: http://www.somuchtosay.net

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 10:14:15 PM »
Nick, check with marine supply stores, like West Marine, BoatUS. They have pretty nice outdoor marine speakers.

great idea, never even thought of that!  Thanks Moke!

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 10:38:08 PM »
Sorry Nick, looks like mine are Advent, not KLH.  I also have a pair of AR, which are pretty crappy.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 10:50:02 PM »
Thanks Todd.  I am going to give the ones there a whirl before I do anything drastic like replacing them...appreciate the input all!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com