Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: active monitors - recommendations?  (Read 8955 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
active monitors - recommendations?
« on: November 21, 2006, 03:13:25 AM »
Time to revamp my home office listening environment.  My current office playback system (Bel Canto DAC 1.1 > Audio Experiences Symphonies > McCormack DNA 1 > VR1s) is way overkill for my small, acoustically-challenged, multi-function office space.  Main listening in the living room will continue to be STR-DA3000ES > VR1s...until I pick up some VR2s for my mains.  :)  As I'm sure some will offer, I could move my 2-ch listening gear into the LR.  However, WAF restricts me from moving the above gear into the LR for critical 2-ch listening.  Moving on...

My current plans:

• Move my office VR-1s into the LR for HT surrounds
  • Unload my pre and power amps (and maybe DAC)
  • Replace all of the above with active monitors (using either my existing DAC or Waveterminal 2496)

I expect to use the active monitors in a traditional desktop environment:  PC monitor flanked by near-field monitors.  My listening needs / usage:

• purely casual 2-ch listening
  • mixing / mastering 4-ch recordings

Poking around in the Playback forum, I've seen reference to the Blue Sky Media Desk, an active 2.1 system, and found good reviews online.  Others have mentioned various Tannoy and Swan models, but I think most of them were were passive.  Swampy, and my brother, an ex- performing musician and quasi studio guy, recommended (go ahead and cringe) the Behringer Truth series - as my brother suggested: they'll be Good Enough for my needs, given the office space in which I have to work.

Other info:

• Room treatments:  possible, but not immediately, whole 'nother discussion at any rate - let's not go there just yet, but feel free to factor future room treatments into the equation
  • Budget:  $500 MAX, not a penny more

Thoughts?  Recommendations?  What monitors do you feel are a good value in the $500 budget range?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: active monitors - recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 07:13:19 AM »
wasn't Doug always tallkin' up the Tannoy's?

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 08:03:35 AM »
i love the blue sky media desk system...

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline bkirby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 09:18:57 AM »
I purchased the Tannoy Reveal Actives a few years back, and they are still running strong. You may prefer a sub sometime down the road, but I still like them as is. Look on eBay for some good deals! They are perfect for my DAW and office listening!

Offline tscales

• Taperssection Regular
    • .:www.timscales.net:.
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 10:56:14 AM »
I've been looking at Alesis M1 actives, Event actives, and KRK V6s (each goin for around 300 on ebay) simply because I'd like something nearfield for my small office.  I read a good review of the Resilent Europas too (not bad for 199, factory direct) but I'd like to hear them.

If i had my way, I'd get Dynaudio but I'd really like to hear the the Blue Sky Media set.

Life's a garden.  Dig it.

AKG 393s > UA-5 (w-mod +) > D8 / Fujitsu T70G

Live Recordings..  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tscales

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 12:02:00 PM »
I've been looking at Alesis M1 actives, Event actives, and KRK V6s (each goin for around 300 on ebay) simply because I'd like something nearfield for my small office.  I read a good review of the Resilent Europas too (not bad for 199, factory direct) but I'd like to hear them.

Thanks for the options...will have to check 'em out further.

I purchased the Tannoy Reveal Actives a few years back, and they are still running strong. You may prefer a sub sometime down the road, but I still like them as is. Look on eBay for some good deals! They are perfect for my DAW and office listening!

Ahhh...those're the active Tannoy monitors I saw referenced earlier, but couldn't recall the series.  Thanks for the tip.  Didn't think about it before, but pretty sure I'm going to want a sub straightaway, hence my leaning towards the Blue Sky MediaDesk.  Hmmmm...decisions, decisions...

Roland R-05

BobW

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 09:09:53 PM »
Dynaudio is hard to beat, but I've never heard their actives

The Tannoy Reveals are also a favorite of mine

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 08:23:19 PM »
Any update on this Brian? I'm looking to get some active monitors soon...
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 09:38:48 PM »
Any update on this Brian? I'm looking to get some active monitors soon...

I put the Blue Sky monitors (either Desk or Pro) on hold for a while since I dumped some of my planned office playback cash into buying Sanjay's C34, so I'm using strictly headphones at the moment.  That reminds me, I want to check on Blue Sky's B-stock inventory to see if they have any Pro setups at low prices that may motivate me to act swiftly.
Roland R-05

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 06:30:13 PM »
I have tried a few different "reference" Active Monitors and I'm sold On the Alesis M1 actives 620's  The 520's sound pretty good depending on your budget. 

Only drawback to the 620's is they are freggin huge.   BUT they make it so My mixes are accurate and thats all I really care about. 

« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 05:11:15 PM by momule »
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 06:54:43 PM »
I bought the Tannoy Reveals on a recommendation from Doug. I think they sound pretty good for cheap. They are ported, so placement is trickier. I plan to plug the ports and run them with a subwoofer soon.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 07:03:11 PM »
Having played with them.  There not all that accurate IMO.  If simply using to playback they sound pretty good for the price.  But If your using them to master with there not something I would suggest really.

This is a pretty good review IMO.  May be worth a read.

Edit to add.  I would also Suggest the KRK v8's.  I was torn between these and the M1's But after Mixing with these at a friends studio I was sold.   
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 07:24:08 PM by momule »
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 08:43:13 PM »
I bought the Tannoy Reveals on a recommendation from Doug. I think they sound pretty good for cheap. They are ported, so placement is trickier. I plan to plug the ports and run them with a subwoofer soon.

You dont want to block the ports they are there for a reason, to tune the cabinet. I would suggest looking at a active sub that has an adjustable crossover point and level control as well as dual ports for inputs so you can daisy chain it off your monitors. I have a Axiom 350 sub that works great also look for a phase switch or control for adjusting the delay between your sub and your monitors.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 08:54:56 PM »
Chris:

Tannoy actually recomends pluging the ports when using a sub-woofer. I found a couple of 2" expanding plumbers plugs that will be perfect. I have coorisponded with a tech at Tannoy and confirmed that this will work. I will probably get an active sub-woofer too.

Chuck
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 08:58:32 PM »
Chris:

Tannoy actually recomends pluging the ports when using a sub-woofer. I found a couple of 2" expanding plumbers plugs that will be perfect. I have coorisponded with a tech at Tannoy and confirmed that this will work. I will probably get an active sub-woofer too.

Chuck

Wow that's really interesting. I guess not all companies operate the same way. I stand corrected  :P I have always liked Tannoy.. Great company.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com