Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R-09 - Does Opitcal out bypass circuitry?? (YES IT DOES!!)  (Read 5710 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: R-09 - Does Opitcal out bypass circuitry?? (YES IT DOES!!)
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 11:01:09 PM »
FWIW, the MP3 link is still bad.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline leshlush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Bass Great, Lesh Philing...
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 12:25:03 AM »
Yes but what im trying to show is that the optical output acts as a bypass when monitoring recording on the R-09.

Sorry to repeat myself but...

Maybe I'm missing something here, but first let's make sure we're on the same page... The signal that you're feeding the R09 is analog(not digital, the R09 doesn't have any digital inputs) and for that signal to be output through digital(optical out), it has to have hit the converters (that's what the ADC does, it converts the analog signal into digital)...  So when you say that it passes-through or by-passes the converters, that can't be the case... It has to have gone through the converters for it to be in a digital format...

I'd have to agree w/ Moke

color me skeptical, but, wouldn't it take two adc's to produce two different file format types at once?

Maybe I'm completely off here, but I have a feeling we're all missing something...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 12:33:08 AM by leshlush »
SP C4's > Hydra Silvers > UA5 (digi mod) > JB3

Team Turkey - Western Conference
Team Fun - Western Conference

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 01:01:50 AM »
Yes but what im trying to show is that the optical output acts as a bypass when monitoring recording on the R-09.

Sorry to repeat myself but...

Maybe I'm missing something here, but first let's make sure we're on the same page... The signal that you're feeding the R09 is analog(not digital, the R09 doesn't have any digital inputs) and for that signal to be output through digital, it has to have hit the converters (that's what the ADC does is converts the analog signal into digital)...  So when you say that it passes-through the converters, that's not the case... It has to have gone through the converters for it to be in digital...

I'd have to agree w/ Moke

color me skeptical, but, wouldn't it take two adc's to produce two different file format types at once?

Maybe I'm completely off here, but I have a feeling we're all missing something...

Block diagram for the R-09, shows ALL A/D and D/A functions are done with a single CODEC IC that also functions as mic/line preamp.  Digital output of the CODEC IC is passed to a digital processing IC that does the MP3 and other digital audio processes.  Apparently there is a path where non-processed digital audio is input to the CODEC AND optical driver IC for monitoring/optical output purposes.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline leshlush

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 01:25:08 AM »
+T guysonic for the schematic and answer...

As I mentioned before, I don't know alot about MP3s and wasn''t sure if it was done at a different stage or if the ADC did the compression...
Your post will definitely clear up a few questions... Or it at least clears up some of mine...

But I guess it still leaves me w/ one... When setting the R09 to an MP3 setting, what bit-depth and frequency are being passed to the digi-out? Does it default 16/44.1? or to highest quality 24?

If you're not sure, don't worry, I was just curious...

Offline leshlush

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 01:40:52 AM »
But I guess it still leaves me w/ one... When setting the R09 to an MP3 setting, what bit-depth and frequency are being passed to the digi-out? Does it default 16/44.1? or to highest quality 24?

I guess I should have just checked out the R09 in MP3 mode before asking... I just realized that when choosing to record in MP3 mode, you still have to select a frequency(44.1 or 48), so I guess I have half of the answer to my question...

but...

I still don't know what bit-depth that it would default to for the pass-through, when recording in MP3... I would assume 16-bit but I have nothing to back my assumption...  Does anyone know for sure?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 01:42:30 AM by leshlush »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com