Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: samplitude users, please read this (a few questions)...  (Read 1582 times)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
samplitude users, please read this (a few questions)...
« on: November 28, 2006, 09:12:24 PM »
i am using v. 8.1

1 - is the normalization (shift n) simply a global increase of gain, or is there something else going on...?

2 - if opening a wav in vip is lossless, and it is - how come it still changes header info (so now my files dont match the original recorded md5s)..? is there a setting that will stop the header from being altered when being oened as a vip object..? i mean, soundforge doesnt change the md5 of the file it opens unless you save changes. i know working on wav as a vip is the same thing (much more powerful, but that is another dealio altogether), but why are my md5s changing..? and how can i stop that from happening..? i guess i could just make shntool md5s of my raw wav files instead of md5s and this would be a nonissue, but still - i would rather not rewrite header info when opening in a vip - that is what those companion hdp files are for, to keep the original wav file untouched...

i have noticed that the burn cd function works, and the trackcuts do NOT cause sbes :D is there any way to use the CD deal to write a cue sheet (that could be read by a music player - like my psp ;) )..? also, have you figured a way to, from one vip, burn two successive cds, using only the marker manager within the vip..?
(figured this one out)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 09:56:47 PM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
Re: samplitude users, please read this (a few questions)...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 09:50:46 PM »
I just checked it.  In that dialog if you select the "virtual" radio button it does not alter the file.

If you select "destructive" is does alter the file. If you check the "create copy" checkbox, it will append the changes to the existing wav file. (So there will be 2 copies of the audio in the one file).

If you simply open a file and make changes in the object editor, the changes are virtual. They get created at playback time only and merged into the mix engine. The original files should be the same.

Gordon
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 10:27:29 PM »

If you simply open a file and make changes in the object editor, the changes are virtual. They get created at playback time only and merged into the mix engine. The original files should be the same.

Gordon
see, this is what i am talking about - it DOES change something - not the wav data, but the header, or something, and the files fail md5 (i run a md5 of the wav on the card - the recorded file - and then subsequently open that virtually, do what i wanna do to it, and then save the subsequent "master" wav file, to be tracked, etc. but i always leave the raw wav file alone - using other wav editors in virtual mode, the wav will pass md5s again and again - once samplitude opens the wav, even in virtual mode, the wav will fail subsequent md5 checks...

now, while i havent tested, i am willing to bet that the files will have the same shntool md5 data, but i just havent checked yet...

-macdaddy ++

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 10:53:54 PM »
When simply you add a file to a project, the wav file remains the same.

Any changes made in the object editor are all virtual (non-destructive).
The offline functions, it seems, can be either virtual or destructive. They give you a choice.

To check, what I did was to make a copy of the file, and then use the dos file compare "fc" command to compare the files. (After doing a "virtual" normalization).

I have also noticed that if you import audio using the import function that it appends some "Samplitude" specific info to the end of the file. (You can see that with Ultraedit). Some "list" chunks and "data" chunks, etc.
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 09:13:46 AM »
thanks gordon..

that is what i thought - it is adding chunks to the header...

all i know is if i drag a file from explorer to the vip window (opening it as a virtual object), it still changes stuff in the header.

i guess the answer is to now use xact/shntool md5s and to forget about using md5summer....

thanks again.

-macdaddy ++

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.453 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com