Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help with building external power source  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Help with building external power source
« on: December 18, 2006, 10:43:31 PM »
I have a custom made preamp that runs from 4 - 9volt batteries.  I'd like to try and build a power system that will allow me to power the unit for more than the current estimated time of "2 shows."

I have a ton of wally-world batteries and am good with a solering iron and stuff like that.  I just really don't know where to start on this thing.  I know there is alot of information I am leaving out, please let me know what I need to tell you.  Pictures can be taken too :)

Any help?
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline eclark

• Taperssection Member
    • eclark @ archive.org
Re: Help with building external power source
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 02:09:06 PM »
pat what up - i would think that just one of those wallyworld batteries would have much more run time than 4 small 9V batteries. i could be wrong though. if I were you i would just run it off one of those things. if you want more juice then wire a couple of them in parallel and you should be good for a longgg time

is that helpful?
akg 460b + ck61 (-10db) > MixPre-D > Sony PCM M10

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 02:27:52 PM »
I think you should contact whoever made your custom box for advice.  At a minimum, you need to find out how the 9vs are wired, and what components they power.  Are all 4 wired in parallel?  In series?  Are the first two wired in parallel with one another and the other two in series?  Or vice versa?  Etc.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 02:30:32 PM »
I think you should contact whoever made your custom box for advice.  At a minimum, you need to find out how the 9vs are wired, and what components they power.  Are all 4 wired in parallel?  In series?  Are the first two wired in parallel with one another and the other two in series?  Or vice versa?  Etc.

Gotcha.  Thanks Brian, will do.  To me it looks like the 9v's are wired in parallell but alot of the wiring is buried in a thick layer of epoxy.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com