Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoltrix Nightengale 6 Pro Replacement Suggestion?  (Read 4499 times)

Offline lbgspam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Zoltrix Nightengale 6 Pro Replacement Suggestion?
« on: January 04, 2007, 04:35:47 PM »
Hi,

I haven't used my Nightengale 6 Pro for 6 months and I just tried for last 3 hours to get my SPDIF input via COAX from my Tascam DAT output to work. I don't think my settings are incorrect, so I am theorizing the card is just busted.

Is there a cheap replacement out there for a digital COAX input to a PC?  I don't need anything fancy, just something to get the job done to transfer my last DAT to my hard disk.

Thanks!

Offline tapeworm48

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm running a dojo of coolness...
Re: Zoltrix Nightengale 6 Pro Replacement Suggestion?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 11:18:45 PM »

I had the same problem with my ZNP6.  Never could figure it out.  SO what i did was sent a signal from the coax into my Sony R300, which then passed a signal to my ZNP6 via the optical.  Worked just fine.  Maybe the coax was busted or is faulty in these cards.

To answer your ? though, I picked up an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 for my new setup once i moved.  i bought it from ebay for ~$50, new, sealed, shipped.  so far it hasnt given me problems and i have liked it greatly.  hope that helps. 
A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

Schoeps MK4s / AT831s / DPA4061s
Nbox / Tinybox v1.5 / SPSB-11 / CSbox
M10 / R09 / D100

07/19 Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field
08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/02 Lollapalooza (NIN / QOTSA / Thievery / Band of Horses)
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
09/23 Arctic Monkeys @ Riviera Theater
10/18 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/19 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/21 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
10/22 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock
12/06 Pearl Jam @ Key Arena

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 01:42:54 AM »
Hi,

I haven't used my Nightengale 6 Pro for 6 months and I just tried for last 3 hours to get my SPDIF input via COAX from my Tascam DAT output to work. I don't think my settings are incorrect, so I am theorizing the card is just busted.

Is there a cheap replacement out there for a digital COAX input to a PC?  I don't need anything fancy, just something to get the job done to transfer my last DAT to my hard disk.

Thanks!

Zoltrix could not make a good modem, never mind a sound card. I like the Maudio Delta AP192 this soundcard rocks for the money.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 07:50:46 AM »

Zoltrix could not make a good modem, never mind a sound card. I like the Maudio Delta AP192 this soundcard rocks for the money.

Good call on the modems.

;)
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 10:22:16 AM »

I had the same problem with my ZNP6.  Never could figure it out.  SO what i did was sent a signal from the coax into my Sony R300, which then passed a signal to my ZNP6 via the optical.  Worked just fine.  Maybe the coax was busted or is faulty in these cards.

To answer your ? though, I picked up an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 for my new setup once i moved.  i bought it from ebay for ~$50, new, sealed, shipped.  so far it hasnt given me problems and i have liked it greatly.  hope that helps. 

Wow, that's a great price on the Audiophile! They are going for about $30 more now.  Hmm, best i saw was 87 delivered by ZipZoomFly....

I only have a COAX output on my Tascam DA20 and no way to get it to an optical connection unfortunately....I wish I had a digital input on my Edirol R-09 as I really rather not bother with the internal PC card.

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 10:25:34 AM »
I only have a COAX output on my Tascam DA20 and no way to do an optical connection.  I really would prefer a USB based device. The only one I found was the M-audio which is only Optical in, I need COAX in.

Is there a USB device that does COAX and Optical in?

Thanks!

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »
Buy a JB3 from the yardsale.  Run coax out > Hosa box > JB3.  Then transfer from the JB3 via USB or Firewire.  Bitperfect transfer and you still have a backup deck to the R-09, or just sell it when your done transferring DAT's. There was one in the Yardsale for $75 yesterday.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 11:13:32 AM »
Buy a JB3 from the yardsale.  Run coax out > Hosa box > JB3.  Then transfer from the JB3 via USB or Firewire.  Bitperfect transfer and you still have a backup deck to the R-09, or just sell it when your done transferring DAT's. There was one in the Yardsale for $75 yesterday.

What is a HOSA box? HOw much is that?

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 11:20:38 AM »
a HOSA ODL-276 box is a converter to go from coax to optical.  I got mine used for $25.  Its about 2" square, has coax in/out and optical In/out runs off 9v wall wart or battery.  There are several comparable boxes made by other companies.

CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 11:21:25 AM »
a HOSA ODL-276 box is a converter to go from coax to optical.  I got mine used for $25.  Its about 2" square, has coax in/out and optical In/out runs off 9v wall wart or battery.  There are several comparable boxes made by other companies.

Thanks! I think that is the way to go. I really am sick of dealing with PCI cards etc, rather just do it this way.

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 11:22:45 AM »
yeah, it's a pretty painless way to do it.
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 11:33:11 AM »
HOSA > JB3 rocks. I've run this as my patchtastic setup for ages.
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 11:43:05 AM »
HOSA > JB3 rocks. I've run this as my patchtastic setup for ages.

Hmm, one thing I don't like, I just found out the JB3 requires windows software to work and is 1.1 USB (not a huge deal).  I was hoping it just mounted as a USB hard drive.

Any other options?

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 11:51:21 AM »
Are you on a Mac or PC?
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 11:55:26 AM »
Are you on a Mac or PC?

PC.

However, I am interested in something that requires no computer for the transfer. I.e. Copy from the Tascam Da-20 to a device that can then be mounted as a hard disk or something.  If the Edirol R-09 had a digital input I wouldn't even need this :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com