Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sonosax SX-M2 v. PSP2  (Read 6165 times)

Offline gonads

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Sonosax SX-M2 v. PSP2
« on: October 10, 2003, 09:54:38 AM »
So out of all the gear that I have used I've never put my hands on Sax. Strange, for sure. Anyway can someone describe to me what they find the sonic charecteristics of the Sax to be, also how do you feel it compares (sonically) to the PSP2?

FWIW - I've got plenty of Sax tapes but I just never put my hands on one and to me that's the only real way to judge a piece of gear. Regardless I'd like to hear what you guys think.
My Attitude Sucks

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:Sonosax SX-M2 v. PSP2
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2003, 03:43:25 PM »
They sound pretty similar from what I have heard.   I have run a sax, and would describe it as slightly bright, but adds a slight warmness to it.  HMM, I don't know what I would compare it to, as I don't think I ever ran it by itself except one time.  I have a sax->ad1k/sax comp tape from umphree's which might help you hear the sax more!

daryan

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2003, 04:35:09 PM »
I have run a sax, and would describe it as slightly bright, but adds a slight warmness to it.
daryan

make up your mind  :spin:  bright - warm  - which is it?

The sax has a very obvious coloration to my ears - tight lows nice mids, sounding slightly closed in or rolled off and grainy in the highs.  Can't compare it to the psp2, but compared to the V2 I had at the time (friend had a Sax I would borrow on occation), the V2 has less grain and was very open and natural in the highs, but the sax seemed to control the low end better.  Overall I'd say that the sax sounds slightly good, but adds a slight bit of shitty.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2003, 04:55:36 PM »
Maybe your grain is what I would call slightly bright.  Jonny and I definately felt that the sax was a warming pre, but as always, who really knows until you run it yourself and hear the differences.  +T craig for the description...add in some more shitty :cheers:

Daryan

Offline utahtaper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2003, 04:08:42 PM »
"the V2 has less grain and was very open and natural in the highs, but the sax seemed to control the low end better.  Overall I'd say that the sax sounds slightly good, but adds a slight bit of shitty. "

Your killing me Craig.......
Recording:
SKM 140's>LC3>ACM660

Playback:
Tascam DA30MKII DAT player
Jolida Tube CD player

Sota Saphire w/grado TLZ> Melos 333> Melos 400 monoblocks> Legacy Focus

Mcintosh MR71>c22>MC60 monoblocks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com