Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need Help with 24 bit editing  (Read 8152 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Need Help with 24 bit editing
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 11:40:39 PM »
I think I'm close on getting a handle on my 24 bit workflow. basically i want to go:
untouched 24/48 master > resample/dither in WL 5.0 > save both 24/48 & 16/44.1 masters > add gain & fades to 16/44.1 in WL 5.0 > save > track in cdwave and save files/cue sheet to use on 24 bit files at a later date.

Best to perform editing at the highest bit-depth / sample rate, so consider changing the workflow a bit:

untouched 24/48 master > add gain & fades (and any other edits) to 16/44.1 in WL 5.0 > resample/dither in WL 5.0 > save both 24/48 & 16/44.1 masters > track in cdwave and save files/cue sheet to use on 24 bit files at a later date.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 12:01:56 AM »
i did a quick search but couldn't find an answer to why it is important to edit (i.e. add gain & fades which is all the editing i do) before the resample/dither step of the process. my guess is all edits should be done on the original bit/sample rate b/c it's just easier to do this before you resample/dither. by editing your files once on the highest sample/bit rate you don't have to go back and redo this.

So is it possible to go master 24/48 > edit (add gain/fades) > resample/dither > then save two files: 24/48 and 16/44.1 in WL 5.0 using batch process? this way i can have two sets of files that are identical (other than bit/sample rate) and use cdwave to track the 24 bit file and save the cue sheet to be applied to the 16/44.1 file?

as you can probably tell by now, i really want to figure this batch process thing out b/c it seems to save time and effort if used correctly. TIA

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 09:06:10 AM »
Here is what I would do.

using your "fixed" 24 bit files. I would change the sample rate and dither to 16/44.1 in Wavelab. Save the files.

Open CD WAV EDITOR. track the 24 bit files and save cue sheets. Then simply open the 16bit files. Load the cue sheets. When it asks you if u want to open the files associated with the cue sheets say NO. The result will be the 16Bit file tracked exactly as you tracked the 24Bit files . Save the 16Bit files.

Or you could just figure out how to properly use Wavelab and do everything in it.  Seems kinda funny to me to be using a full blown mastering suite and not doing anything with it but adding some fades and re sampling... Ect. 

If ya look around ya should be bale to figure out how to track something in a few minutes and shave some time off your mastering and have a cleaner linage.  And before you ask yes wavelab splits files at SB's.  although if your encoding to flac it don't really matter.

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 10:07:27 AM »
i did a quick search but couldn't find an answer to why it is important to edit (i.e. add gain & fades which is all the editing i do) before the resample/dither step of the process. my guess is all edits should be done on the original bit/sample rate b/c it's just easier to do this before you resample/dither. by editing your files once on the highest sample/bit rate you don't have to go back and redo this.

Convenience is one reason, but the bigger reason is higher resolution (bit-depth and sample rate) produces higher quality edits.
Roland R-05

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 10:37:08 PM »
TJ, ya still have that workfl;ow i gave ya for WL? i know its a few more added steps but it produces the most HQ files in the end. years ago Damon ran a few tests to verify why you should NEVER batch process your files when resampling/dithering. do them one chunk at a time

but as always, YMMV
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 02:25:04 PM »
bean - point me to that if you can, batch processing is SOOO much easier and efficient.

'that' = the thing you mention about damon saying not to batch process

Offline momule

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2007, 05:38:20 PM »
I’m calling the bluff on this one.  IMO It makes ABSOLUTELY no difference in sound quality to batch or to do the entire file at one time.  Bits are bits no matter how ya chop them.  Still 8 bits in a byte. 

Let me hear an example and I will retract my statement.  Other wise I'm saying you're wasting your time. Which is your time to waste I guess. 

Now if ya wanna argue that one algorithm is better than the other that a whole other party.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2007, 05:45:03 PM »
point me to that if you can

I believe this is the thread in question:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,49027.0.html
Roland R-05

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2007, 05:50:26 PM »
I’m calling the bluff on this one.  IMO It makes ABSOLUTELY no difference in sound quality to batch or to do the entire file at one time.  Bits are bits no matter how ya chop them.  Still 8 bits in a byte. 

Let me hear an example and I will retract my statement.  Other wise I'm saying you're wasting your time. Which is your time to waste I guess. 

Now if ya wanna argue that one algorithm is better than the other that a whole other party.

i'm not the best to comment on this b/c i have no knowledge of the difference b/w the both. i used this workflow posted by bean:

1. open wav
2. add gain if necessary
3. 'process' then 'convert sample rate' resample to 44.1k
4. then i open the 'master section' and apply the UV22HR dither, then hit render
5. select 'whole file' and 'create new file' under the 'file' tab.
6. then hit batch
7. now hit the 'output' tab and make sure your output directory for the 16/44.1k file is going to save on the right folder
8. now in the output format box to the right, open the big box in output format and make sure the ONLY change is the 16-bit resolution box since you already resampled. I know its an extra step but its the correct way to do it.
9.if you are adding multiple files go back under the 'Input' tab and hit the folder with the + on it
10. click run and sit back

i really want to utilize the batch process feature on wavelab, but for some reason my dither/resampled files are being generated longer than the master. what am i doing wrong? i select 16/44.1 in the output box, in both plug ins, and at the bottom of the screen. ultimately i want to generate a new 16/44.1 and still have the 24/48 file to save seperately. can someone post a step by step who uses the batch process? i feel i've tried everying...i must be missing something  :-\

Offline momule

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2007, 06:10:29 PM »
point me to that if you can

I believe this is the thread in question:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,49027.0.html

No offense but that really don't prove a thing except that he has alot of time on his hands.
Take the cdwave crap out of the equation all together.  Again why would anyone wanna load a 24 bit file into more than one software application.  Spend some of that extra time reading the wavelab help pages.
It will make your mastering time faster and your linage cleaner. 

who tracks>resamples>dithers.  Other than maybe making a DVD-A(which of an aud tape to me is a whole other story) It seems kinda crazy to me to track a 24 bit source.  Now if ya really wanna a tracked 24 bit source put some markers in and then save the file. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com