Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oade ACM V3  (Read 61551 times)

Offline monochromic

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Oade ACM V3
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2007, 06:36:23 PM »
Comp and poll should be up later this week.

excellent work, am most looking forward to the comp.

brett.
Team Australia
Schoeps MK41/KC5/CMC6xt > Neve Portico 5012 > 722

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2007, 01:03:00 AM »
... We taped one of the littler known acts so that hopefully their won't be much bias towards the artist for the comp...
;D
Sounds like a great time.
Looking forward to it, even if the band sucks.  ^-^
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2007, 12:46:07 PM »
We're going to be running some stock vs. mod V3 comps this weekend.  I know there will be some Gefells and MBHO's for sure down there.  I'll try and get something else to run in front other then the AKG's.

Good if someone can post a poll sometime (blind test).

Any ideas on the pirce to do a MOD from Doug? I think comparing V3 vs MOD V3 blindly will gives us an idea if it's worth doing.

Pricing?  I have no idea what Doug might charge for the V3 upgrade.  Sorry.

I guess your one was one free. Do you know when Doug is going to start doing it for people? Since he did one already any reason why he is waiting around? Are you acting like a guinea pig (no offence   :laugh: ) for him before he takes in orders from people? Thanks for testing it  ;D
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2007, 01:18:15 PM »

I guess your one was one free. Do you know when Doug is going to start doing it for people? Since he did one already any reason why he is waiting around? Are you acting like a guinea pig (no offence   :laugh: ) for him before he takes in orders from people? Thanks for testing it  ;D

To be fair and honest I bought a good bit of gear from Doug and it all rolled into one bill so to speak.  So in that sense I'd be lying if I told you what I think I paid for it.  And for all intensive purposes I am the guinea pig so maybe I got overcharged or undercharged, dunno.

I have no idea when he will start modding them but have a call and email into him as we speak to talk about it.   Hang tight for a few days and we'll get some comp samples up and you can decide if you even like it or not.

I will say though that my V3 runs hotter now after the mod.  Maybe 8db or so hotter.  Strange but true.

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2007, 01:51:26 PM »
I will say though that my V3 runs hotter now after the mod.  Maybe 8db or so hotter.  Strange but true.
:o that's a pretty significant increase. Not that there is anything wring with that. it's just surprising.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2007, 02:00:07 PM »
:o that's a pretty significant increase. Not that there is anything wring with that. it's just surprising.

I thought so as well.  But I prefer to run the V3 hot anyways before the mod.  I just have to shake old habits level wise and remember that I have more gain now.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2007, 02:11:46 PM »

I thought so as well.  But I prefer to run the V3 hot anyways before the mod.  I just have to shake old habits level wise and remember that I have more gain now.

before you did the comp, did you do an accurate test to see how much more gain you have?  I think that'd be pretty important to really dial in the levels between the modded vs. unmodded V3's to get a valid comparison.  or did you just run it about 8dB lower?

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2007, 02:25:56 PM »

before you did the comp, did you do an accurate test to see how much more gain you have?  I think that'd be pretty important to really dial in the levels between the modded vs. unmodded V3's to get a valid comparison.  or did you just run it about 8dB lower?

We ran the same config, the same make of cable of the same length and ran the same bodies and caps inches apart from one another.  We ran the two V3's at the same levels for the first 2-3 songs when I noticed how big the difference was.  I then dropped mine down by 5db.  I had planned on adjusting the levels in post this week on both sources to match up as much as possible

There has been so much bullshit debate over the last few weeks about comps that I truly believe that no matter how you do it someone is going to have a problem with it so Gumbino and I debated back and forth several methods until we decided on the method we did. 

Its as real world as it gets. 

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2007, 03:05:43 PM »
We ran the same config, the same make of cable of the same length and ran the same bodies and caps inches apart from one another.  We ran the two V3's at the same levels for the first 2-3 songs when I noticed how big the difference was.  I then dropped mine down by 5db.  I had planned on adjusting the levels in post this week on both sources to match up as much as possible

There has been so much bullshit debate over the last few weeks about comps that I truly believe that no matter how you do it someone is going to have a problem with it so Gumbino and I debated back and forth several methods until we decided on the method we did. 

Its as real world as it gets. 

I understand that it's difficult to get everything in a comp just right.  and I definitely agree that some folks go overboard in finding flaws in comps, and that certainly isn't what I'm trying to do.  it just that setting levels on a V3 is so easy and precise.  it seems to me that it'd be easy to set up a comp at home, set both V3's (modded and unmodded) on the same gain settings, and then check out the files on a computer to see precisely how far off they are from each other.  with this knowledge, it would be very easy to adjust the modded V3 by exactly that amount.

regardless, I'm still looking forward to hearing your comp.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2007, 03:11:41 PM »
I understand that it's difficult to get everything in a comp just right.  and I definitely agree that some folks go overboard in finding flaws in comps, and that certainly isn't what I'm trying to do.  it just that setting levels on a V3 is so easy and precise.  it seems to me that it'd be easy to set up a comp at home, set both V3's (modded and unmodded) on the same gain settings, and then check out the files on a computer to see precisely how far off they are from each other.  with this knowledge, it would be very easy to adjust the modded V3 by exactly that amount.

regardless, I'm still looking forward to hearing your comp.

Totally agree with you and I know you're not a critic of the comp.   First and foremost I believe I am the only V3 owner within 3 hours so that kinda took that option out of the mix.  Secondly we just felt like a real world comp would be the most beneficial to most folks.  Until I can get the tracks cut later in the week we'll both be in the dark as to the results. 

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2007, 08:12:01 PM »
why would the mod cause the increased gain?  isnt the mod just with the a/d?  why would that change if he didnt mod the preamp too?  sorry if im way off here, just curious.

thanks
jim
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2007, 08:38:27 PM »
why would the mod cause the increased gain?  isnt the mod just with the a/d?  why would that change if he didnt mod the preamp too?  sorry if im way off here, just curious.

thanks
jim

adc processes the gain stage, it could be adding a minimal amount
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2007, 08:42:31 PM »

thanks
jim

adc processes the gain stage, it could be adding a minimal amount
8db isn't a minimal amount.

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2007, 09:14:14 PM »
maybe the new A/D chip is just more sensitive.  so it reaches 0dBfs at a lower analog level (dBu) than the original A/D chip.

(I don't really know how different A/D chips actually work.  so maybe I'm way off base.  but it seems like a reasonable assumption to me)

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2007, 09:26:52 PM »
maybe the new A/D chip is just more sensitive.  so it reaches 0dBfs at a lower analog level (dBu) than the original A/D chip.

(I don't really know how different A/D chips actually work.  so maybe I'm way off base.  but it seems like a reasonable assumption to me)
sounds feasible to me.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com