Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oade ACM V3  (Read 61550 times)

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: Oade ACM V3
« Reply #150 on: April 09, 2014, 06:15:52 PM »

Whenever the file is made using the recorders analog inputs.  But not if using digital inputs (although some digital inputs resample, and that can affect the already digitized sound, but that's seperate from the A/D)

Every time I read something like this I feel all kinds of stupid and I remember I started out just pointing a microphone because what I was hearing was so special and overwhelming that I wanted to hear it again.

Welcome to my neighborhood!  LOL!

Terry

Ditto for me.  And its been a long time since the first time I "pointed a microphone" at Jerry and John Kahn at the Opera House in Boston   ;)
Wow, we must be close in age- the first recording i ever "helped" with was my buddy getting me to drive him to Jerry/John in Rochester NY 1981. I don't even think I have a copy of that show. Soon thereafter I took his D5 and went on Dead tour summer 1982 and recorded the entire summer tour with his deck and my new mics (Beyer M201s).
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #151 on: April 10, 2014, 03:40:08 AM »
bump to join thread cause I loves me some V3 sound! (of course I don't own one :facepalm:)

get you one!  they're dirt cheap these days.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #152 on: April 10, 2014, 11:18:13 PM »
I don't know how much dirt goes for where you are, but that's some pricey dirt!
Still the most expensive pre i've bought-- so far.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 09:34:18 PM by jb63 »
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #153 on: May 25, 2014, 12:26:34 PM »
Well, I've used this at about half a dozen shows now, always running the MK5 cards in and pulling both a distal out and an analog (unmodded) out... The unmodded file is always a little distorted. Whatever it takes to get the levels right on the digital
signal is just at the "makes the normal signal sound like crap" level.

Anyone experience this and is there an optimal mix of level knobs setting?

The V3 takes up a lot of real estate, and the ACM makes great tapes, but the stock out is just not doing it for me.
Here's the Acid Mothers Temple stop in Salt Lake City. Check out the difference. I GUESS the stock V3 is OK, but I could never recommend it, which leads me to believe I'm setting something wrong. The ACM version is excellent, and worth every penny. Maybe I just need to try pairing this up with different mics, I dunno.

MK5 > V3:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-VlqN5R8fn6S3pYejBCbXlSeFk/edit?usp=sharing

MK5 > ACMV3:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-VlqN5R8fn6RDVaTHdBT0R2dnc/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 05:47:46 PM by jb63 »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #154 on: May 27, 2014, 02:54:57 PM »
Surprised the V3 (stock) analog out > [?] is something you couldn't recommend.  What ADC / recorder are you running behind the V3 (stock) analog out?  If it's distorted, I wonder if you're overloading the analog inputs of whatever is next in the chain?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #155 on: May 27, 2014, 03:15:25 PM »
Isn't the analog out of a V3 essentially a V2?  I've run both digi out and analog out at the same time without any analog distortion on a stock V3.
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #156 on: May 27, 2014, 03:28:20 PM »
Expanding on what Brian is getting at, I'm not sure about the OCM version, but if you have the gains set on a standard V3 so that the preamp is showing appropriate levels on its meters (which accurately reflect the level of the digital output), the analog line-output will be at a quite high output level.  Unless attenuated, that high-level analog output level can easily overload the input stage of the following equipment if it's not designed to handle those kinds of levels.

I used to run the V3 analog output without attenuation into the line-input an original R-09, and to avoid overloading the input stage of the R-09 the gain settings on the V3 needed to be set so low they barely registed on the V3 meters.  Sounded fine though.  With the correct amount of attenuation between the V3 analog output and the R-09 line-in, I could have run the V3 gain higher, which would have made it easier to use the digital out and analog out simultaneously, with appropriate levels to both the digial and analog recorders which followed.

I can't remember- Is there a switch or jumper inside the V3 which attenuates it's analog output voltage?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:36:48 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #157 on: May 27, 2014, 04:22:11 PM »
bump to join thread cause I loves me some V3 sound! (of course I don't own one :facepalm:)

Well you kind of did for a short time.

It might have been the shortest owned piece of EQ we have ever run ! I think we had it for 1 maybe 2 seasons ?
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #158 on: May 27, 2014, 04:26:16 PM »
the analog line-output will be at a quite high output level.  Unless attenuated, that high-level analog output level can easily overload the input stage of the following equipment if it's not designed to handle those kinds of levels.

Yeah, it's up in the range of +26 or +27dbu before the outputs clip, so distortion that only shows up on the analog capture are likely to be an ADC/line-in issue downstream.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline rocksuitcase

• RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #159 on: May 27, 2014, 07:40:13 PM »

Well you kind of did for a short time.

It might have been the shortest owned piece of EQ we have ever run ! I think we had it for 1 maybe 2 seasons ?
Yeah, that is what my "facepalm" emoticon was about! When kindms owned his V3, I decided it was the best pre-amp device out there at its' capability level (2 ch)for its' price range. I guess you had it for about 2 years. It is a power hog, but in a non >:D rig, it does the job 4 shure.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #160 on: June 02, 2014, 09:59:30 PM »
the analog line-output will be at a quite high output level.  Unless attenuated, that high-level analog output level can easily overload the input stage of the following equipment if it's not designed to handle those kinds of levels.

Yeah, it's up in the range of +26 or +27dbu before the outputs clip, so distortion that only shows up on the analog capture are likely to be an ADC/line-in issue downstream.

Ok!
So it sounds like I might have what I need. I have a -26db attenuator cable or some -12db XLR cables.
I'm probably going to have to use the -26, which is just a little camera cable....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/746645-REG/Sescom_LN2MIC_ZOOMH4N_LN2MIC_ZOOMH4N_Line_to.html

I bought it for a camera but it never worked out. 

First show of summer is tomorrow! I almost feel 49.

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #161 on: June 05, 2014, 12:11:04 AM »
I'm going to run ACM V3 (analog out > R-09 at the gorge in August.

I know that "unity gain" on the R-09 is level 8.

So as long as I'm running at level 8, I should be fine using the V3 levels, right?
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #162 on: June 05, 2014, 10:29:43 AM »
The ACM mod is for the Analog section of the AD board only so running Analog out of an ACM V3 will sound exactly the same as using a normal V3 - to get the benefit you must run digital out of the ACM V3
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #163 on: June 05, 2014, 10:48:20 AM »
I usually kept the line-in input level on the R-09 set to about 13, my safe "don't go below" input setting was 10.  8 is right at the limit and I don't trust the R-09 input and meters not to brick at that point.

I suggest setting the R-09 input to 9 or 10, then adjusting gain as necessary using the V3 controls while watching the meters on the R-09.  Ignore the V3 meters, you will see minimal action on them unless you are using attenuation between the V3 and R-09.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 11:06:29 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #164 on: June 06, 2014, 12:29:36 PM »
turns out that a -26db attenuator cable was too much attenuation.
next will try the -12db XLR cables.

thanks again guys!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.158 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com