Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Life changes.........  (Read 7405 times)

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Life changes.........
« on: February 07, 2007, 10:23:17 AM »
So, after a few years of having the system of a lifetime I have started to sell off all my stereo gear. My recording rig is staying but the stereo is moving on. I have some new priorities in my life. I might as well announce them here but after a bunch of years of fighting it, I am joining the rest of the world. We just found out the wife is pregnant, I guess it's about time as Nick would say.

So at first I did the most responsible thing & said I am selling the stereo to take a break from the hobby. Thankfully Nick talked me into at least building an office system, for once he made some sense! Everything is on the chopping block, the speakers of course were the first to go. Next the DAC, now I have to list the rest. It is sad to see it all go b/c it really was incredible but the new system won't be a slouch by any stretch of the imagination. So I decided the only fair thing to do is create a budget for the new system, $2600 seems fair, this is what I sold my speakers & half the DAC for. Seems fair enough, build an entire system from the sale of two items & pocket the rest (hopefully about 5-6k). So now, my mission has been to build a "budget" system with the proceeds of the two items. I don't think I am staying in budget but I am trying. I know it sounds ridiculous to call it a budget system but it is what it is, after all I am TRYING to be an adult for once  ;D

So I have been shopping again for a new system to use in my office. Yes, I bought this stupid house for my dedicated audio room I never use but I spend way too much time downstairs talking to my fellow nerds. Might as well have good music while I am at it! Shopping has been fun. I did the worst thing possible & purchased my amp first, it of course blew my budget of $1500.00 total & forced me to move the budget up some but I think it will be worth it. It also scratched an itch I have had for some time to try some Mcintosh gear. I have read tons of pro's & con's about Mac but I wanted to see for myself. So, I ended up with a Mac 6450 integrated amp, yes pretty blue meters of course.

Now that the amp was set I need to find some speakers (yes, I know, BACKWARDS) So I went out & listened to some B&W, Thiel, Dalli & Paradigm. All were OK, but nothing jumped out at me. So, again back to the drawing board. After reading everything I could I just decided to take a risk, save some money & buy used. I love this part of the hobby actually, buy everything just to try it & sell what you don't want! In the end I bought a pair of Triangle Antal 202's for cheap money, supposedly excellent synergy with Mac. Lively, dynamic, maybe a bit bright or forward with the wrong gear. Ok, I like lively & dynamic, let's try them & see. Then of course, after I bought them I ended up finding a pair of B&W CDM1 SE monitors, damn. Yup, bought them too, couldn't resist  8) Now speaker cables, this is going to be tough. I have a pair of Acoustic Zen Satori shot guns, they are BAD ASS, the best cable I have ever heard but I can sell them for at least $600. So, I bought some cables to try, Zu Wax bi-wires, people like them so they are worth a shot. Honestly, I don't know if I will end up selling the Acoustic Zen's but the Zu's are half the money, I really should just sell the Zen's.

So now I need a source, again, I have two bad ass sources, can I find replacements that will sound good enough for at least half the money? I don't know but I am trying, I think the VPI will be traded for my old Thorens. Honestly, I can't go without vinyl, might as well just give up music. The Onkyo universal player/ECD Dac combo is probably going to be the hardest to replace. It is is tough to find a decent cheap universal player worth listening too but I am searching. Denon is of course the front runner but for $350 how much should I expect. I need to let it go & remember this is an office system but I will probably spend more time listening to this vs. the old system. Again, maybe I should just keep the player , since I already sold the DAC >:D

So in the end life does change but usually for the good. At first I was crying but now I think I am good. It is fun to experiment again. So, maybe by writing all this down it helps me get over the loss, no clue but what the hell. While I doubt I will ever have the liquid cash to build a better system then the one I had, who knows, maybe my kid won't go to college after all  ;D
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
Re: Life changes.........
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 10:40:31 AM »
We just found out the wife is pregnant, I guess it's about time as Nick would say.

Congrats!  That's awesome news.  So begins a new journey in your married life, and soon will come many new hobbies (mostly related to kids programming and made up games).  +T

Sorry to see you let it go, but I think you'll realize it was the smart thing to do when the kid comes.  Doesn't make it suck any less though.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline bkirby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 10:56:48 AM »
Congrats Carl! You have made a wise choice for now! In the long run, you will be fine! Take care...

Brad K.

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 10:57:24 AM »
Congrats!  With every ending comes the beginning of something new.  Parenthood is the greatest thing I have ever done in my life!  Welcome to the club.

oh and get as much knocked up nookie as you can.  that's good shit...    ;)
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 11:00:36 AM »
Congrats!  With every ending comes the beginning of something new.  Parenthood is the greatest thing I have ever done in my life!  Welcome to the club.

oh and get as much knocked up nookie as you can.  that's good shit...    ;)

Excellent advice!
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 06:58:04 PM »
Carl,

Great news!  Ryder has just hit 2 months and he is the best thing that has ever happened to me and the wife.  I guess I went the other way though....buying more shit!  I figure he and I will have some quality time down there.  He already likes it loud. 

I'll give you some more advice, get as much sleep as you can. 

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 07:36:43 PM »
Can I borrow his hat? That looks sweet!

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 07:43:43 PM »
Not my child, but a band member's wife had their 4mo baby wearing those yellow protective ear muffs.  Now that little girl looked so cute.  I wish I had a picture of that.  The funny thing is that at a previous show I asked the woman if her baby would be OK in a noisy room.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 04:55:17 PM »
i still think you could have stayed within your budget and done A-OK.
:)

a nice office system will kick ass Carl.  You'll be happy spinnin' tunes down in your lair. 

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 02:13:07 PM »
Congrats! It is the most life changing event ever (getting married is *nothing* compared to this!).

However.......having kids and a good hi-fi system need not be mutually exclusive! In fact, sell your recording rig and keep the hi-fi so you can stay home with the wife and baby and not run off to gigs!

(Of course, I have 6 kids and have only just recently moved up to what could be called a "good" hi-fi system, but that's just because I have been ignorant as to what constitutes "good" for most of my adult life!)
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 05:08:28 PM »
Honestly at this point in my life I can't imagine selling my rig, I don't quite think I am ready for that just yet.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 05:17:09 PM »
I know..you'd be lost on those 4 times a year you run it.

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 05:39:03 PM »
I know..you'd be lost on those 4 times a year you run it.

Yup, it totally sucks making a good tape every time I run it  ;D

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline chris

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 06:25:24 PM »
Carl,

First off, congrats on the future new little one.  I, too, three years back had our first child (now we have our 2nd) remember telling my taper compadre (darrin) the rig needs to go, and it did! 

Trust me...WITH kids i've found that I now have MUCH more time listening to music.  I'm glad you're keeping your old Thorens.  I could not live without mine.

Good luck!

C Evans

PS: the rig snuck it's way back after the first year.   >:D

LSD2>mod UA5>Darrin's non-reliable PDA (or my non-reliable D8)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 10:10:04 PM »
I am going through the same thing now...with a baby due March 23rd, I am fast realizing I am going to have very little time to get out to shows with the regularity that i do today...and am beginning to think that I would be much better served to sell and replace with quality playback, as I can see myself getting more opportunity to sit back and listen for a couple hours, than to go out to a show 5-6 hours at a time...just havent been able to bring myself to sell the rig yet...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com