Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: turntable setup  (Read 2561 times)

Offline mmadd29

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep
turntable setup
« on: February 18, 2007, 12:32:51 PM »
I have looked on my many sites, and still cannot get my turntable setup correctly.  Is there someone who can explain how to setup the arm and counter weights.  It seems either I can get it just too light, or just too heavy???

Thanks
Superlux CM-H8K > UA5 > iriver h120 > Wave Labs > EAC

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: turntable setup
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 12:43:09 PM »
What kind of turntable is it and what do the instructions say to do (not being sarcastic here)?  Could you post a picture of the tonearm?

Chris

Offline mmadd29

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 07:14:12 PM »
What kind of turntable is it and what do the instructions say to do (not being sarcastic here)?  Could you post a picture of the tonearm?

Chris

OK the unit is a Sony PS-LX22

Here are three picutres of the arm, and counter weights.

I have just seen generic directions, that is basically set the counter weight to zero.....Adjust the main counter weight until it just floats over the vinyl.....adjust the smaller counter weight until it touches the vinyl....this doesn't work for me...or I'm an idoit....which is a good possibility here.

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 08:45:48 PM »
The directions were good up until the small weight adjustment.   The small counter weight is your Vertical Tracking Force.  The proper VTF value should come from your cartridge or your turntable instructions.  This is set at '0' while you balance the tonearm (the needle floating just above the record surface). Once the tonearm is balanced, set your small counter weight to the proper VTF value.   If you don't have that information, go with 1.75 or possibly check needledoctor.com for more info on your cart.  When the VTF is set, adjust your anti-skate wheel to the same value as the VTF. 

If the inner grooves are consistantly distorting or just sounding bad, check your cartridge alignment.  If you don't have a cartridge alignment tool and would like to get one, PM me.  We have van den Hul cartridge alignment tools in stock.

+T for keeping your turntable running.  FWIW, these are basic tonearm setup instructions that will work for most any entry level turntable.

Chris

Offline mmadd29

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 09:23:29 AM »
Thanks for the tips....just found that the cartridge needle is bent, which means it's time for a new cartridge, and with that will come a free setup from the local stereo shop.

+T for all the great tips......

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com