Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Beer on my HD-P2 and I think it's trashed, help!  (Read 4406 times)

Offline AlexG

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I'll get that show to you tomorrow, I promise"
Beer on my HD-P2 and I think it's trashed, help!
« on: February 19, 2007, 12:03:13 PM »
I thought I had my stuff well covered but I was wrong.  While I stepped away for a drink somebody spilled a beer all over the top of my HD-P2 and it seeped around my "protection" and the beer went right down the top cover.  Now it will fire up and play but if I try and hit record nothing happens anymore.  During the show it stopped recording at the point.  I shut it off as quickly as I could but I don't know if I completely trashed it.  It is still under warranty but who knows if they will cover me on this one.  Any suggestions on what I could do to possibly recover this guy?   
Mics: Neumann km184, Avatone CK-1 *FOR SALE*
Pres: Grace Lunatec V3 OptiMod *FOR SALE*
Recs: Tascam HD-P2, iRiver H120 30gb, iRiver H120 4gb CF Modded *FOR SALE*

My recordings on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Manitunes

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA
Re: Beer on my HD-P2 and I think it's trashed, help!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 12:56:24 PM »
although this obviously won't help you now, This is a good reminder that once we have accuired a thousand bucks or so in gear it is a good idea to have it covered by your homeowners or renters insurance.  if done right it will cover this type of loss.

for your equipment, if you are comfortable opening up your precious electronic boxes I would open it up make sure it is all dry and carefully clean all the sticky residue with some contact cleaner or rubbing alchohol and a q tip.  best of luck.  +T for your trouble...
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 01:01:58 PM »
I thought I had my stuff well covered but I was wrong.  While I stepped away for a drink somebody spilled a beer all over the top of my HD-P2 and it seeped around my "protection" and the beer went right down the top cover.  Now it will fire up and play but if I try and hit record nothing happens anymore.  During the show it stopped recording at the point.  I shut it off as quickly as I could but I don't know if I completely trashed it.  It is still under warranty but who knows if they will cover me on this one.  Any suggestions on what I could do to possibly recover this guy?   

DO not power this unit back on remove any power supply from this device batteries etc. You can try letting it sit for a while I am talking 2-3 days I would open the unit up and have it sit so the beer is draining away from your circuit board. If that does not work I can have a look at it. I don't think your warranty is going to cover it.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline AlexG

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 01:30:17 PM »
Well I cracked it open and am just going to let it sit a few days and let it air out.  It seems most of the beer just got the top by the buttons since I caught it pretty quickly and turned it upside down the minute it happened.  I'll keep you posted if I can get it up again and if not I may take you up on that offer to look at it.

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 01:35:39 PM »
good luck!
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 02:36:25 PM »
Well I cracked it open and am just going to let it sit a few days and let it air out.  It seems most of the beer just got the top by the buttons since I caught it pretty quickly and turned it upside down the minute it happened.  I'll keep you posted if I can get it up again and if not I may take you up on that offer to look at it.

If you can soak the top of the unit ( by disconnecting a ribbon cable I would unscrew the buttons from the plastic lid if you can, and soak them in 100% isoprophenol don't do this if they are the cheap chicklet buttons that are covered in plastic. I don't know this unit if you can snap a picture of what you see inside.  I might be of more assistance.

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 08:00:38 PM »
My friends call me an anal retentive taper because of how I treat my gear setting it up, taking it down and guarding it with my life for this very reason.  Sorry to hear about it happening to you.  let it dry out, then try it.......
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline AlexG

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 10:57:45 AM »

If you can soak the top of the unit ( by disconnecting a ribbon cable I would unscrew the buttons from the plastic lid if you can, and soak them in 100% isoprophenol don't do this if they are the cheap chicklet buttons that are covered in plastic. I don't know this unit if you can snap a picture of what you see inside.  I might be of more assistance.

They are soaking as we speak, most of the buttons are a very hard plastic it's not that cheap soft stuff you are talking about.  I'll try and snap some pictures shortly but I had to take off for a business trip so I'll probably have them up by the end of the week.  Just looking at the guts you can't even see that anything was spilled on it but this sucker is pretty tight on the inside and taking it really apart is quite a project.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 12:20:28 PM »

They are soaking as we speak, most of the buttons are a very hard plastic it's not that cheap soft stuff you are talking about.  I'll try and snap some pictures shortly but I had to take off for a business trip so I'll probably have them up by the end of the week.  Just looking at the guts you can't even see that anything was spilled on it but this sucker is pretty tight on the inside and taking it really apart is quite a project.

Dont let them soak too long.. Once you do that then you will have to let it dry out again. I hope it works for you. Let me know.

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 01:08:48 AM »
T+ that sucks. Hope it drys out.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline AlexG

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 04:03:45 PM »
SUCCESS!  I took it apart cleaned the crap out of the top pcb and all the buttons fired it up and now the record button is functioning again!   Thanks everybody for all your help, anybody know of a good waterproof bag so this crap doesn't happen again?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 04:18:18 PM »
SUCCESS!  I took it apart cleaned the crap out of the top pcb and all the buttons fired it up and now the record button is functioning again!   Thanks everybody for all your help, anybody know of a good waterproof bag so this crap doesn't happen again?

Glad it worked out for you...

Chris Church

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 02:34:09 PM »
get a portabrace bag or something similar for your hdp2, worth the $$ if it saves your machine just once IMO
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.24 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com