Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MAC g5 question  (Read 7087 times)

Offline beanstalk

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: MAC g5 question
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 09:03:59 AM »
ADC=Apple Display Connector.  It is basically DVI with power and USB built in.  It was kinda nifty, but sucked buying an Apple display if you wanted to run it off a laptop (no power) or a PC with a DVI-based video card, so it was eventually dropped. 

keytohwy

No. You still need a separate video card. Basically it is one card per monitor.

Wayne

So what is the ADC port used for? Does it output the same signal?

Thanks all +t's down the line
"I don't believe in a lot of things, but i do believe in duct tape."

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 09:47:43 AM »
So, I just heard back from my buddy at ATI/AMD... There are two versions of this card. One version has two DVI connectors on it. That card was sold to both the PC and Mac folks, and then there was as 9600 G5 edition, which has one DVI connector and one ADC connector... So, depending on what version of the card this is, you will either need an adapter or you won't... isn't that clear as mud. ;)

If the person selling the card tells you it has an ADC connector, then that's the G5 edition he is selling. For that you will need an adapter if you want to use it with a non-ADC monitor.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline beanstalk

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2007, 10:28:05 AM »
So, I just heard back from my buddy at ATI/AMD... There are two versions of this card. One version has two DVI connectors on it. That card was sold to both the PC and Mac folks, and then there was as 9600 G5 edition, which has one DVI connector and one ADC connector... So, depending on what version of the card this is, you will either need an adapter or you won't... isn't that clear as mud. ;)

If the person selling the card tells you it has an ADC connector, then that's the G5 edition he is selling. For that you will need an adapter if you want to use it with a non-ADC monitor.

Wayne

but if I have 2 ADC monitors (which I do) I need the DVI to ADC connector right?

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 10:37:59 AM »
but if I have 2 ADC monitors (which I do) I need the DVI to ADC connector right?

Now I understand what you're doing! The answer is yes, if you want to use the DVI port to connect up with the ADC monitor, you will need the adapter:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=6C04E07A&nplm=M8661LL%2FB

The kicker here is the adapter is $100, and apparently folks don't like the size of the brick that is used (you can read comments on the Apple Store).

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline beanstalk

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 12:29:07 PM »

Now I understand what you're doing! The answer is yes, if you want to use the DVI port to connect up with the ADC monitor, you will need the adapter:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=6C04E07A&nplm=M8661LL%2FB

The kicker here is the adapter is $100, and apparently folks don't like the size of the brick that is used (you can read comments on the Apple Store).

Wayne

Ya I was reading some reviews about it and noticed that the price and the size where the only down falls which is not the big of a deal when using it for desktop use. Laptop stuff my get in the way.

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 06:00:55 PM »
Yes, these are little clunky, which is what I was referring to earlier.  Before Apple made adapters (which I always felt was a misnomer...these are really power supples!), Dr. Bott made them.  You can find them on eBay or other used merch places.  Might be a little cheaper.  For those keeping score, yes, Dr. Bott simply used a Mac G4 Cube power supply in this rig.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dr-Botts-DVIator-DVI-to-ADC-Adapter-Incl-Apple-205W_W0QQitemZ140090692848QQihZ004QQcategoryZ80063QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

keytohwy

Wayne

Ya I was reading some reviews about it and noticed that the price and the size where the only down falls which is not the big of a deal when using it for desktop use. Laptop stuff my get in the way.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com