Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Playback Complete  (Read 17580 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Playback Complete
« on: March 06, 2007, 09:09:37 AM »
alright finally got my playback setup...

Denon 2900
Arcam AVR300
Anticables speaker cables
Audio Magic Excalibur II ICs
VR-2s

so first I bought the VR-2s through the VS B-stock program...got African Hazelwood...amazing deal pricewise, shipped, they were half the new retail, and what makes them B stock is slight mismatch on the finish.  Looking at them, I can see some "finish blemishes" but nothing that stands out unless you are looking for them.  These also come with a 10 year warranty as well, and I was told that the electronics used are all the same as A stock...only difference is the finish mismatch.  Speakers shipped in these (is it velvet?) bags and were packaged fantastically by VS, double boxed.

Everything else but the anticables were used through Audiogon...and the units looked brand spanking new...I really got some incredible deals on A-gon with the condition these units are in...

So I bi amped (or is it biwired?  ran two sets of speaker cables from the Arcam, which allows me to run a full 2 ch/100W per to each speaker) the Vr-s and got to listening last night.

First the room...it is a finished attic, that is a long rectangle.  Currently I have the TV stand (where the 50" SXRD is going to go ;D ) situated on the long wall, with the speakers on either side, which allows my seating position to be ~10 ft from the speakers.  I am considering putting the equipment on the short wall and seating behind it, but with a partially sloped ceiling on one side, I need to determine if the dimensions would allow it...will post pictures actually soon...

OK, so listening last night, broke out the discs that I am most familar with how they sound.

Studio Discs
Sheryl Crow - Globe Sessions SACD
Springsteen - Born to Run Reissue
Drive by Truckers - Dirty South
Govt Mule - The Deepest End
DMB - Crash

Live
Drive by Truckers - 11/19/05 24 bit
Connells - 12/23/06 24 bit
Govt Mule - 10/29/04
My Morning Jacket - 1/21/04

The things that stuck out the most to me...

- The seperation of the instruments.  I am used to hearing these songs, and hearing the "collective effect" of the bass/drums/guitar/horns/etc, but I can honestly say I dont think I have ever been able to hear the individual instruments, without straining to hear them...seemed like they all had their spot on the soundstage in front of me...

- the soundstage is freaking huge.  I have heard a set of the VR-4Jrs (thanks Michael) before and had an idea what to expect, but until you are playing recordings that your are intimately familiar with, it is tough to really understand what you are hearing.  I was absolutely amazed by the fact that I could close my eyes and it sounded like the sound was coming at me across the entire stage in front of me…not from two speakers.  I definitely understand the comment now of losing the speakers…

- full range speakers are an amazing thing…I don’t see any reason why I would need a sub with these.  Especially with the live recordings you get that popping bass that is tough to replicate.  Add to that the sound that these fill the room with….I am assuming that bi-wiring is helping contribute to this effect (but as I didn’t use the jumpers and single wire I don’t have a base for comparison), but the sound, even at lower volume levels really is thick and full…not at all what I am used to…especially at lower volume levels.

And this is just from 2 hours of listening last night…of course I did listen to Jungleand from 20 minutes last night, repeating it over and over :P …the sax solo is a thing of beauty…

Next up, I am looking at power conditioners…trying to go the used route on PS Audio or Blue Circle…but have to wait til the right thing comes up…

Will post pictures later for those interested….

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Playback Complete
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 09:14:59 AM »
drool...

T
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 09:39:53 AM »
congrats nick. I recently put together my first nice playback system, and it has really had an effect on how I listen to music and how much i listen to music. I find myself actually doing some "critical listening" now as opposed to just throwing something on while i do something else (surf the web, clean the house, watch a game, etc...). It's really nice to have a system that makes it worth sitting down and giving your complete attention to the music. I'm sure you'll enjoy your rig for a long time to come.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 10:45:57 AM »
+T for the new toys, Nick.  I just upgraded to my first quality playback & am loving it as well.  I love that you're familiar with Crash, as that was one of the first discs I threw in.  The things I heard blew me away.  I love all the layers of sound on that album.  It was like hearing it for the first time.  I also agree that the B-stock deal on the VR-2's is a kick ass deal.  If I hadn't picked up the original VR-4's on Agon, I would have moved that route.  The cool thing as well is that they have several different finishes available right now.  When I was looking they only had the maple finish available.  The African Hazelwood is a thing of beauty IMO. As for the full range statement, I agree completely.  I couldn't imagine adding a sub to my playback, or bi-amping for that matter.  I can rattle the windows & hear my music across the street as it is!

I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts on the power conditioners as well.  I need to pick one up myself.

Enjoy!
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 05:13:09 PM »
Welcome to the club guys, a nice playback system is worth it as you found out. I do miss my VR4 jr's, I should think about a pair of VR2's for cheap, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  >:D Anyway, now you will hear what your recording, it still shocks me when I think about it that I always had a stereo but never knew what I was missing until I went up the food chain a little. It's amazing what you miss & how much a nice system adds to your enjoyment. Now both of you sit back & open up a beverage, relax & sink into the listening chair for a while.

I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 06:09:56 PM »
post deleted needed to be moved sorry!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 09:00:02 PM by scervin »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 07:19:32 PM »
some pics for anyone intersted.  the first one is the one finish blemish that I can see...and the flash accentuates it...it is on the back corner...

the others show the setup, from my seating position currently, and the room.  Now, I am considering setting the whole thing up at the end of the room in front of the window (ignore the mess, still getting the room situated) so that I can have more theater type seating when I get the 50" Sony, but I am curious with the wall angle on the left side, what kind of reflection issues can I plan on having?  And what can I do to combat any that I do?

Right now I am sitting 8" from the TV/Playback position, I wouldnt mind to get a bit farther back, but to do that I have to go longways...any thoughts?

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 07:27:11 PM »
Well try to keep a triangle basically, if you want to sit further away from the speakers do not be afraid to spread them apart further. There is a factor that escapes me at the moment that is basically width times distance from the listening position. In other words your speakers look too close together  ;D
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 07:32:38 PM »
Right now I am sitting 8" from the TV/Playback position

Wow, that room looks a lot bigger in the photos.  :P

So were you in the casting for the Wizard of Oz? ;)

+t as you have given me some ideas for the next step up. I will probably start with the DVD player>speaker>Digital Amp/Reciever
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 07:44:42 PM »
Well try to keep a triangle basically, if you want to sit further away from the speakers do not be afraid to spread them apart further. There is a factor that escapes me at the moment that is basically width times distance from the listening position. In other words your speakers look too close together  ;D

what do you think if I put the setup in the end of the room with the partially sloped ceiling above the left speaker...crazy reflections?

Right now I am sitting 8" from the TV/Playback position

Wow, that room looks a lot bigger in the photos.  :P

So were you in the casting for the Wizard of Oz? ;)

+t as you have given me some ideas for the next step up. I will probably start with the DVD player>speaker>Digital Amp/Reciever

I must be missing the wizard of oz reference

as for the setup...I wanted to get to the compromise of quality 2 channel with home theater capabilities.  I had gotten good feedback from Scott Brown and Damon in the past about the Arcam stuff, and honestly I got lucky with the Arcam and Denon, both of which showed up from the seller with the plastic still protecting the LCD screen...anal bastards :P

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 07:56:50 PM »
I think the slope may skew the soundstage but you don't know until you try. The question is though, why do you want to sit more than 8 feet away? Does something not sound right? I think the woofer & tweater have plenty of room to integrate well at 8 feet away? I would stick with it as it is but move the speakers in or out off the wall & experiment with placement to see what it ends up sounding like.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 08:01:43 PM »
I think the slope may skew the soundstage but you don't know until you try. The question is though, why do you want to sit more than 8 feet away? Does something not sound right? I think the woofer & tweater have plenty of room to integrate well at 8 feet away? I would stick with it as it is but move the speakers in or out off the wall & experiment with placement to see what it ends up sounding like.

only reason I was considering it was room economics, in terms of maximizing space specifically for television watching, but I am concerned as to the impact of the playback properties as I am pretty happy with the acoustics I am getting the way it is set up now...I think I will take your advice though Carl and play with it a bit more, positionally...I feel like I almost have it dialed in where it is at now

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 08:19:55 PM »
Screw room economics! I am in my basement in a half finished room jamming to some J. Giels on vinyl, as long as it sounds good who cares about what it looks like. As long as my wife stays upstairs  ;)

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 08:23:53 PM »
Nice Nick! We are making the finally making the plunge into home ownership within the next month and I'm having sort of the same dilemma. (where to put the KLF-20's) The new living room will be smaller, but now you've got my wheels spinning on turning the master bedroom into the theater/listening room. It's the entire upper level of a cape cod style house. (about twice the width of your room)  Honey, can we make one of the smaller rooms be our bedroom? Yeah sure right. ::)

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 08:28:16 PM »
Screw room economics! I am in my basement in a half finished room jamming to some J. Giels on vinyl, as long as it sounds good who cares about what it looks like. As long as my wife stays upstairs  ;)

My angel is the centerfold!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com