Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Turntable based listening system suggestions.  (Read 3511 times)

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Turntable based listening system suggestions.
« on: March 06, 2007, 03:04:16 PM »
I could really use some help in doing this.

I have probably the most irresponsible roommates and I can't afford to leave my vinyl collection in the living room.  I need to create a second stereo since my primary is used for home theater (and is really not that fantastic anyways)  Right now my budget is very very limited since I also need to replace my stolen car and broken laptop.  I already have a good turntable. 

What I need

- Preferably under $600
- Used gear is fantastic and preferred (Where are those audiogon steals when you need it)
- A pair of monitor/bookshelf speakers.  No room for floor standing ones I don't think.
- An integrated amp (preferably with a phono stage so I don't need a seperate preamp.

I have a pair of sony bookshelf speakers of questionable quality, i'd prefer not to have to use them.  I was looking at a pair of VR-1's and maybe a cambridge audio integrated, but I'm not sure how that would sound and likely would be a bit over budget.  The focus of this system would be to listen to LP's and therefore the focus should be on that.  I might add a squeezebox in the future.

Addition: I was also thinking about keeping in the "vintage theme" and running vintage gear (except for speakers) Suggestions to this tune are welcome.

Any suggestions more than welcome!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 03:28:18 PM by Sanjay »
mics & cameras

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: Turntable based listening system suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 03:17:41 PM »

Sanjay, VS is selling a brand new pair of (discontinued) maple VR-1's for $540 on their website.  This doesn't really leave room for the other items mentioned, but...
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 03:19:48 PM »

Sanjay, VS is selling a brand new pair of (discontinued) maple VR-1's for $540 on their website.  This doesn't really leave room for the other items mentioned, but...

I did see that, which is what sparked my interest.....
mics & cameras

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 03:56:11 PM »

Good eye  ;)   I actually contacted them last week about it and was going to pull the trigger until I noticed a local hifi store selling the same exact thing on agon.  I picked `em up last night and saved on some shipping. 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 05:06:04 PM »
The Rega Brio 38 watt integrated has an internal mm phono stage and is built like a tank (in England).  I think this would work quite well for your situation if you can stretch the budget just a little bit.  Used / demo units are available for around $400 since it's recent updating to the Brio 3.  We have one in our demo specials thread in the retail forum at http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,77348.0.html .   Satisfaction Guaranteed. 

+T for taking care of your records.

Chris

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 05:21:38 PM »

I just bought a pair of VR-2s through the B stock program and while I can see a couple of finish blemishes (hence why they wouldnt make it A stock) it is far from taking away that it is a sick ass deal...

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 08:59:16 PM »
Since you're going get get many saying the VR-1's are the way to go, for half the price these are great sounding speakers

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=82.1

They are based on the GR-1 and designed by Danny Richie.  Audioholics product of the year.
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/bookshelf/onix-x-ls

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 09:34:17 PM »
I have a Harman Kardon HK 430 which I think is a pretty fantastic old receiver.  How off base would I be by purchasing some VR-1's or the aforementioned speakers to pair them with a 30 year old amp?   I'm kind of intrigued with going a vintage route, and the build quality on older stuff seems to be fantastic compared with today.

mics & cameras

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 08:15:06 AM »
How does the HK sound? Probably sounds pretty good, you have nothing to lose by trying. Get the VSA's, they are great speakers no doubt, I know someone on this board who has a pair he needs to sell. I have heard them & they are very nice. I bet the HK has a great phono stage too, give it a shot.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 10:46:36 AM »
I have a pair of Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's that I need to get rid of. I've been very happy with them, but recently upgraded. I'll let them go for $200 plus shipping. They get great reviews. PM me if interested.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170.html
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 11:49:04 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I *think* I may stick with the harman kardon, clean it up a bit and try that.  Its got seperate amps for each channel and seems to be designed quite well.   I think it may compare well to something like an entry level cambridge audio.  What I really like about it is its ability to have good clean bass as well as keep the highs from becoming too brittle. 

I would like to get a pair of speakers which complement this.  Everyone raves about the HK 430 with Klipsch heresey's and their older horn models.

I appreciate the suggestions on the Ascend Acoustics, and the x-ls's .  I'm somewhat hesitant on these since they don't have much of a reputation in terms of name recognition.  However their price is attractive.  Im very seriously considering the VR-1's since I know I can grow with those.  Carl would you mind forwarding me the name of the member who has a pair to get rid of?  I know there is a deal on the VSA site, but any money I can save and I am not a fan of the finish that is available.   

What are ya'll's opinions on the B&W 600 series, I know they have a good reputation and I can find a pair on audiogon for 250-300.

EDIT:  To throw another idea out i've also re-arranged the room and found that I CAN use floorstanding speakers.  So thats another thought if there's a knockout full range pair I should look at.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 11:53:31 PM by Sanjay »
mics & cameras

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 07:03:33 AM »
Never heard of Danny Richie???  GR Research?  Go check over on audiocircle.  The president of AV123.com Mark Shifter was president or co-founder of Genesis, Audio Alchemy, and Perpetual Technologies.

I've had the B&W 602 S3 and think the VR-1, x-ls, etc are much better.

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 08:39:09 AM »
Never heard of Danny Richie???  GR Research?  Go check over on audiocircle.  The president of AV123.com Mark Shifter was president or co-founder of Genesis, Audio Alchemy, and Perpetual Technologies.

I've had the B&W 602 S3 and think the VR-1, x-ls, etc are much better.

Thanks, I'll check it out.  I admit fully im rather green o n playback.  I only have heard a few nice systems and those were what was in them, I'd love to learn more manufacturers who are cheaper than some of the best but have comparible sound.

+T's
mics & cameras

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com