Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Maybe a decent Universal Player option?  (Read 27973 times)

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Maybe a decent Universal Player option?
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2007, 04:52:07 PM »
You have to turn HDMI off before you can get output from either of the S/PDIF digital (coax or optical) outputs.  If you have HDMI output enabled, S/PDIF is disabled according to the user manuals for the DV-970HD.  There's one version of the user manual that was co-authored by audioholics that is particularly easy to understand.  Both versions of the user manual are available on OPPO's web site.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
interesting.
I ordered a 970HD today so I can see if its any better than the already cheap universal I have.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2007, 10:58:10 PM »
what I really like about these is that Rick Shultz is doing mods, and they are not all that expensive. I'm going to have mine done....IF....with his mods he can somehow add a toslink INPUT jack into the signal chain somewhere.
w/its digital volume control (on the remote), this could be a slick minimalist approach and using the OPPO to drive an amp directly.  I like that option.
but I need more than one input for my digital needs. 

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2007, 07:51:09 AM »
The only problem with the minimal route of just a volume control is that usually the system will lack dynamics. In my past systems the pre-amp always adds an increase in dynamics & slam, especially in a tube system. Not to say that from a purely economical point it wouldn't produce good music but usually once a good pre is inserted in the system the system will sound better & more three dimensional.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2007, 08:25:42 AM »
this is digital volume control.  it'll lack at low volumes, but be fine once its turned up.
Isn't there a saying that "the best preamp...is no preamp" ?
;-)

economics dont really play into this here.  its a cheap deck, and well worth the try.  everything I can eliminate between the bits and the speakers will help.

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2007, 08:37:58 AM »
Nope, I gotta disagree with you 100% especially after living with just volume control on the Benchmark. A pre adds to the system. No pre is better then a crappy pre but but a good pre will blow away a volume control digital or not.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2007, 10:14:45 AM »
i've got no preamp in my system now, and even you agree its the best my living room has ever sounded.

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2007, 11:18:39 AM »
Teddy - Are you using this as a transport, or are you using the D/A as well? I don't have a DAC, so am interested in the quality of the analog output.

Thanks!
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2007, 03:07:31 PM »
Nick, you have a pre-amp stage in your integrated amp, it is still an additional stage in your amp is my point, not a passive volume control. Technically I don't have a pre-amp in addition too my integrated either  ::)

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

RebelRebel

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2007, 03:13:25 PM »
Teddy - Are you using this as a transport, or are you using the D/A as well? I don't have a DAC, so am interested in the quality of the analog output.

Thanks!

right now, using the D/A as well.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2007, 07:53:15 AM »
i dont believe there is a preamp stage in there.  not sure though

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2007, 07:47:40 PM »
Anymore feedback on these units, fellas?
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

RebelRebel

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2007, 10:23:49 AM »
nothing more to say other than I love mine. If you per chance dont enjoy it, there are a number of places that mod them. but stock it clearly trounces my denon . pinoneer, and toshiba

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/

http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Modifications_to_DVD_and_Univer.html

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2007, 12:04:56 PM »
Rick Shultz MOD is where i'd be going if I was using its analog output.

any whoo...
awesome video.
killer features
volume control
USB input allows you to attach any USB HDD and it will read the contents and play files it recognizes, wav, mp3..etc.  you can scroll through it via the remote and using the TV to navigate.

so if it sounds great on its own, and you can dump $3-400 into it in modifications to make it sound seriously great....and it gives you all those other features, seems like a nice digital front end option to put in front of any amp you like.  tubes,/T/D/SS, bring it on!

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2007, 01:06:03 PM »
huh - I like the USB function. All I need is a decent transport in front of the Bel Canto
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com