Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need some good (stealth) mics  (Read 12948 times)

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • always give more than you take
Re: Need some good (stealth) mics
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 12:02:18 PM »
Maybe I'm searching wrong, but I can't find them on ebay...?

just do a general search for "DPA" and you will find many singles, usually, apparently they used widely but briefly on Broadway for plays and such, when the plays wrap up their tours the mics and such get auctioned off, and the process begins anew, one upside is that they are often beige colored and very stealthy

Offline Brennan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 01:11:31 AM »
So you'd recommend the beige ones actually? I was kinda thinking the opposite, but I'll take any suggestions ya got! :)
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 01:14:28 AM »

just do a general search for "DPA" and you will find many singles, usually, apparently they used widely but briefly on Broadway for plays and such, when the plays wrap up their tours the mics and such get auctioned off, and the process begins anew, one upside is that they are often beige colored and very stealthy

Be careful of these.  They are *likely* worn out.  I mean, what sound guy would get rid of these if they still worked?  And at the prices they go for, it just seems like too much money to spend on a questionable item.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 01:30:00 AM »
Good point ;D I'll watch for that, but most likely I'll be starting out with a bundle from Chris >:D
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2007, 01:47:11 AM »

Be careful of these.  They are *likely* worn out.  I mean, what sound guy would get rid of these if they still worked?  And at the prices they go for, it just seems like too much money to spend on a questionable item.

Richard

I am not trying to sell anything here first and formost.

I agree with Richard. As a sound man if I ran a theater company I would never in a million years get rid of a DPA microphone unless I thought something was wrong with it.

The problem is this many people buy these used DPA mics. They take them out to record a show and even a broken down DPA mic still sounds good to one degree or another. But when you compare it to a new DPA the choice becomes obvious. That is a luxury most people that buy used DPA mics cant afford, because they dont usually have a pristine mic to compare it against.

In the theater there is always a turn around of microphones I did 8 weeks last summer mixing Jesus Christ Super Star and Kiss me Kate. We used 25 Lav mics for that show. In 8 weeks 10 mics went down. So things change all the time.

One thing is for sure I am not going to talk to the owner of the theater company and ask him to replace a bad mic $300-$700 unless its really bad because doing so would be unprofessional.

Sometimes you get lucky and the DPA mics you get used are ok, but sometimes you dont, and the funny thing is until you have a nice new pair to compare them too you might not even notice.

Its easy to say one mic is better then the other. If you want DPA get them they are the best out there better then any mic I make.. If you really want them get them new, save up your cash.. Don't get my mics if you really want to go that way.

I think there is always a fine line between what is the best and what you can afford to spend. You have to in the end do what is right for you. A lot of the advice here is very good, But in the end its your $$$.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 05:50:00 AM »
Hey Chris, thanks for your take on it...not that I don't appreciate everyone else's just as much! :)

I think for the time being I'll just go with your bundle (ST-9000 pre + card mics). I want to start off with something good. I've already lost a few recordings I really wish had come out, simply due to not having the right gear.

My parents are going to a Zombies show tomorrow night, and there's no way I could have the mics and preamp from you in that time (so we probably won't get a good recording)...then there's the issue of where I'm going to come up with $160 ;)
Team SoCal

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 09:08:23 AM »
Hey Chris, thanks for your take on it...not that I don't appreciate everyone else's just as much! :)

I think for the time being I'll just go with your bundle (ST-9000 pre + card mics). I want to start off with something good. I've already lost a few recordings I really wish had come out, simply due to not having the right gear.

My parents are going to a Zombies show tomorrow night, and there's no way I could have the mics and preamp from you in that time (so we probably won't get a good recording)...then there's the issue of where I'm going to come up with $160 ;)

I wish I had parents that went to see Rob Zombie... My parents took me to a Ronny Milsap concert when I was a kid.. Wow talk about fun! :) I ask them to come to some of the shows I do, I dont think they are into it lol.

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 09:42:47 AM »
My parents took me to a Ronny Milsap concert when I was a kid.. Wow talk about fun!

My dad did the same. The only difference was my dad was a country DJ and I got to sit on stage and throw frisbees into the crowd. Helped turn me onto music my whole life.
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2007, 09:56:52 AM »
My parents took me to a Ronny Milsap concert when I was a kid.. Wow talk about fun!

My dad did the same. The only difference was my dad was a country DJ and I got to sit on stage and throw frisbees into the crowd. Helped turn me onto music my whole life.

You know its funny that concert when I was 9 years old did the same thing to me. Even though I was just too cool to be there. I did get hooked on sound and doing shows from that one concert.

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2007, 10:57:41 AM »
I wish I had parents that went to see Rob Zombie...

THESE Zombies lol :p

I've actually never heard Rob Zombie ;D Guess I should? ;)

I got hooked on concerts when at my first (age 12) Jeff Tweedy [of Wilco] mouthed the words "How old are you?!" when he saw me singing along lol.. That led to him pronouncing to the crowd, "We have a 12-year-old in the audience" ;)
Team SoCal

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2007, 11:00:26 AM »
I wish I had parents that went to see Rob Zombie...

THESE Zombies lol :p

I've actually never heard Rob Zombie ;D Guess I should? ;)

I got hooked on concerts when at my first (age 12) Jeff Tweedy [of Wilco] mouthed the words "How old are you?!" when he saw me singing along lol.. That led to him pronouncing to the crowd, "We have a 12-year-old in the audience" ;)

LOL ok I think you should google him and have a good laugh :) I thought you meant Rob Zombie. Some people call them the Zombies :) lol

dorrcoq

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2007, 03:43:56 PM »
The Zombies played in Vancouver this past week.  They got a great review in the paper, made me sorry I missed it.

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2007, 09:40:02 PM »
Yea, I like a good amount of THE Zombies stuff ;) I'll take a listen / have a good laugh over Rob since you suggested it Chris ;D

Parents are currently on the freeway heading to the show as we speak (er, type) and I stuck my dad with the R-09 and a mono omni clip mic..so we shall see :)
Team SoCal

sml42

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2007, 05:25:04 PM »
If you want DPA get them they are the best out there better then any mic I make.. If you really want them get them new, save up your cash. Don't get my mics if you really want to go that way.

Well I'll be. +t for shooting straight there.

Although I think the schoeps crowd may disagree ;)

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2007, 06:03:54 PM »
If you want DPA get them they are the best out there better then any mic I make.. If you really want them get them new, save up your cash. Don't get my mics if you really want to go that way.

Well I'll be. +t for shooting straight there.

Although I think the schoeps crowd may disagree ;)

DPA - BRUEL KJEAR = Best mics in the world :) I like Schoeps but B&K is very hard to beat. When a company is looking for the most accurate mic in the world they choose DPA :) When you want flavor you choose Schoeps or Neumann. That's my two cents.:)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com