Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Are HQ Mini-XLR Active Cables Available?  (Read 2744 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Are HQ Mini-XLR Active Cables Available?
« on: March 17, 2007, 12:01:42 PM »
Here's a question for those that have or have had active mics...

Has anyone had any custom made high quality mini-XLRs made up?  If so, who makes them?  What's your experience with them? 

The reason I'm asking is that the stock mini-XLR cable pair that comes with the MBHO actives looks and feels like it could eventually cause problems. 

Also, in contemplating what my preferred setup will be, on the one hand, I've had lots of people recommend that I keep the mic bodies stashed and run the caps off-body as much as possible.  On the other hand, the highest quality mic cables only seem to come with material that's too large in diameter to accomodate the mini-XLR connectors.

I'm taking the leap for high quality silver cables for running the mics on-body, but if a HQ mini-XLR isn't a possibility, then I'll probably run the HQ cable with the caps and the bodies together as my preferred setup so that I can use the HQ cable. 

Further thoughts on the mini-XLR...I'm currently having someone make me up a spare set just so I don't need to rely on the one and only set I have (thanks Kevin), but the cable material isn't anything special.  Finally, I've been communicating with Chris from Eugene Hi-Fi and he's looking into the possibilities on his end.

I'd appreciate any input on the experiences anyone else might have.  Thanks.

Steve

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
Re: Are HQ Mini-XLR Active Cables Available?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 02:20:08 PM »
Belden 1804a is a wonderful silver wire that will fit mini-xlrs.  It is sort of a Unicorn though, usually tough to find.

If you do indeed find some, I may be interested in getting some from you, so please let me know if you decide to go this route.

Best of luck.
Ryan
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 02:54:49 PM »
i have a pair of ~30 foot of home brewed active cables for the MBHOs I used the belden 1804A. 

I think i only ran the stock cables once.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

stevetoney

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 04:26:41 PM »
i have a pair of ~30 foot of home brewed active cables for the MBHOs I used the belden 1804A. 

I think i only ran the stock cables once.

Full Compass 100 foot lengths of this wire.  Are you happy with it?  Do you know how it compares to other HQ cables, like say Matt's Hi-Ho silvers or the Van Den Huls.  I know those are larger cables that can accomodate the regular size XLRs, but I guess one decision is whether to run HQ cables with the caps attached to the bodies if there is a chance for a better sound because of better quality cable using XLR, instead of say using the Belden and running the long length of smaller cable between mini-XLRs.

You have any thoughts or experience along those lines?

cshepherd

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 05:35:38 PM »
I've had a couple people inquire about van den Hul solutions for miniature connectors.  van den Hul does not make a screened interconnect that will fit the miniature connectors (except for The Orchid...I'm not even going there).  Their smallest screened, two conductor interconnect is 3.7 mm. 

It sounds like Fozzy heard an improvement with Belden 1804a over the stock cable.  That might be your best known option for a mini-xlr connection.  FWIW, I would run with caps attached to the mic bodies whenever possible.

Chris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com