Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: audio room pics, revisited  (Read 81771 times)

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: audio room pics, revisited
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2007, 11:00:15 AM »
is this about sports or room pics/? :P ;)
not sure there is a fan base I would rather see continue to suffer more than the sabres fans

qft my brother.

you both suck.  ;)  buffalo hasn't won a single championship event ever.  Well unless you count professional lacrosse..... but I don't. 

Can't the losers win every once in awhile?

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2007, 11:02:37 AM »
hey nick, how's that lcr-15?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2007, 11:21:22 AM »
hey nick, how's that lcr-15?

Surprisingly good.  It definitely does not throw around the SPLs like the VR-2s do, but it sounds better than I expected in HT apps and concert DVDs.  Been pretty happy with the purchase actually…

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2007, 11:22:28 AM »
is this about sports or room pics/? :P

When your a sports and music junky like me, they overlap significantly :P

Offline RDunn

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2007, 05:20:49 PM »
Nice!   I really need to get a big TV before finals.

Why do you need a big tv before exams?    :^)
Schoeps MK4 > KC5 > CMC6 > Sound Devices 744T

Offline gorlando

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2007, 09:31:46 AM »
I am now living in the UAE for work reasons and put together this HT system I am very happy with, so maybe will replace my Italian one when I'll be back there.
The last add-on is the squeezebox (on top of the TV set) which is connected in digital to the Denon AVC-A11XV and mainly use to listen to my recordings in 24/48 with DPA 4060's / MT24/96 so all flows in digital from the PC to the Denon.
The Tannoy loudspeakers are the core of this system. I have the front 15" System 15 DMT /II connected in bi-wiring to the Denon (4 amplifiers for a passive bi-ampling), a central vintage 12" Little Gold Monitor and two rear 10" System 10 DMT's.
A very cheap Samsung universal DVD player is then all I need to decently play CD's, SACD's and DVD-A/V's.
The room was initially too reverberant, I then put the usual sofas, bookcase, carpets (on the floor and walls) and curtains plus some absorbing panels (fiberglass) and two home-made tube traps. Now the room is almost OK, maybe I have to add a few more tube traps, but the RT60 is quite regular (1.2 sec at 100 Hz, down to 0.5 at 8 kHz) and I like the sound.
This system can play easily very loud (the efficiency of the front speakers is 98 dB/W @ 1 m) so its distorsion at normal listening levels is very low. I tape mostly classical music and I can easily re-create a realistic level even with a symphony (@ acceptable hours of the day).

Giovanni
Schoeps MK4's ORTF, MK41 & MK8 M-S, DPA 4060's,
Schoeps KCY, Naiant Tinybox II, Self-Made Battery Box for DPA's
Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, M-Audio Microtrack II

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2007, 11:20:02 AM »
beautiful !

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2007, 11:41:31 AM »
nice...see the WAF (wife approval factor) would fail misserably with those speakers for me :P

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2007, 01:06:04 PM »
really?  shit..I thought they looked great.
better than my alien monolith conversation tower pieces.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2007, 07:29:27 PM »
nice...see the WAF (wife approval factor) would fail misserably with those speakers for me :P

I drooled all over myself when I saw those panels on the back wall.    At least I still have my dreams.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline gorlando

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2007, 02:03:24 AM »
I agree on the panels. In fat I am planning either to buy a carpet and hang it up on top of them or (more difficult but....if I find someone with painting skills) paint them on.

However they are very effective for the room acoustic, as would be some tube traps in the rear corners.
With a bit of time I'll be there, opefully

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2007, 08:34:14 PM »
Won't a carpet over the top reduce the effectiveness of the panels?

I have no problem with the look of your panels. 

I like the look of well integrated panels.  I made custom panels and I went to a lot of trouble to find fabric that matches the paint I intend to use on the walls.  But I ended up getting too much resistance to be worth it so I mounted the panels on stands and I take them out when I want to listen.  I would much rather have them on the wall.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline gorlando

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2007, 10:39:28 PM »
This is interesting, because I did the same, with some efforts to use the same fabric as the curtains' and matching their color with the walls. The effect is acceptable to me, but a carpet on top of the panels would have a better WAF (at least with mine). This should work similarly to the panels alone at medium-high frequencies, maybe a bit less absorbing at medium-low frequencies and, if you "frame" the panels (with a wooden perimeter with the carpet fixed to it), should work a bit more at low frequencies.

These panels are intended to reduce reflections from the back wall towards the listening area mainly for medium-low frequencies up, while tube traps in the corners should better fight the room resonance modes, which are not an enormous problem in my room.

The right side of the room being a full wall window I put only a light curtain on it, with a high chair in the way of the "first reflection" to the listening zone. Using a heavier curtain would improve reflections control, but I don't like a too dark scenario.

Adding a diffuser on the ceiling would also make good, I am thinking of what type not to look too weird. A "skyscraper" type would work grat, but I have to improve its WAF.....

Anyway I am reasonably happy of the situation as it is now, so I have little driver to make further changes.

Lately I preferred to spend efforts in my taping rig, PC interface with the the HiFi / HT system, large storage HD, software for editing, etc., for which I found great guidance on this website, which is covering most of the sound recording / storing / listening areas I am interested in. 

RebelRebel

« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2007, 10:12:35 AM »
ive been fitting my room with panels and traps from www.gikacoustics.com ...he is VERY affordable, and the products are fantastic...

WAF is no issue for me, my listening room is a mile down the road at my parents house, far away from the wife's eyes.
She saw my VR-4s and immediately said "no".

I agree on the panels. In fat I am planning either to buy a carpet and hang it up on top of them or (more difficult but....if I find someone with painting skills) paint them on.

However they are very effective for the room acoustic, as would be some tube traps in the rear corners.
With a bit of time I'll be there, opefully

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2007, 02:39:23 AM »
Couple quick pics. I'm trying out the new camera.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com