Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R-4 Pro/BG 10-14-88 help ?  (Read 6814 times)

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
R-4 Pro/BG 10-14-88 help ?
« on: May 29, 2007, 02:59:57 PM »
Can anybody help with a R-4 Pro DC power ?/issue:

I tried running my R-4 Pro with field power for the first time this weekend, and I am a bit frustrated and confused.  I could not get the R-4 Pro to power up at all when connected to the battery.  It worked fine on AC power, but with the battery...nothing.

I attempted to use a BG 10-14-88 and a custom 4pin cable I had Ed from KindKables make for me.  As far as I can tell, there was no issue with the battery because I was later able to use it to power an Aerco MP-2 with the cable/adaptor that came with the battery.  I am wondering, now, if the issue was related to the R-4 Pro or the cable.  I have faith that Ed would have made the cable properly, although there's never any certainty that it might not have been tweaked somehow in shipping.  Is it possible that the R-4 Pro just did not recognize/accept the power b/c I did not have the Ext. Batt. power setting confirgured correctly?

Any advise greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 03:09:55 PM by easyjim »

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: R-4 Pro/BG 1-14-88 help ?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 05:18:56 PM »
My guess is that the cable is the problem. if it would power up the mp-2 which I assume has standard polarity then it wouldn't power up the r-4 which has reversed polarity.

easy jim

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 05:26:26 PM »
My guess is that the cable is the problem. if it would power up the mp-2 which I assume has standard polarity then it wouldn't power up the r-4 which has reversed polarity.

I think you're probably right about it being the cable.  However, it was the stock cable/adaptor that came with the battery that I used with the MP-2 (which is indeed standard polarity).  The custom cable/battery/R-4 Pro are the combo that will not work together.

Hopefully, it turns out to be a simple oversight or shipping issue and it is an easy fix/replacement. 

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 12:17:43 AM »
It does sound like a polarity issue, especially if the battery worked properly otherwise.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline habit

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Archive Shows
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 09:29:18 AM »
I had the same issue with my R4 Pro and did a down and dirty switch on my power cable. Probably not the best way to go about things, I just cut the cable in half and then connected the shielding to the center cable on one side and the center cable to the shielding on the other piece. I did make sure that the wires do not touch and have taped the hacked piece of cable down to my rack in the bag to avoid it coming undone.

Radio Shack also carries a piece to reverse the polarity, but the hack solution has worked with no problems since March. In the event you hose up your connection cable, Battery Geeks sales them for about $10 I believe. 

Hope that helps.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 09:32:30 AM by habit »
Busman Mod R4 Pro | Schoeps M222 | Schoeps MK4 & 41

easy jim

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 07:14:05 PM »
Thanks again folks and +t all around.

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 09:00:14 PM »
You can use the RS adaptacable, which allows you to reverse the polarity.  It's a quick fix while you figure out the problem with the other cable.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 10:04:04 AM »
Well this is irking me big time.  Ed won't return my emails.  WTF?  He certainly did when I ordered and payed him.  Yesterday I thought I'd give the cable another test.  No power.  So I went to work leaving the battery and cable connected in my portabrace.  Came home to this!  Not sure if the two are related but this shit sketches me out.  Thoughts?

Edited to add.  This was a farely new battery with low low use.   :'(  Doubt I should try to charge it  ???

Perhaps I should forward him the link to this thread?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 10:39:56 AM by tapermark »

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 10:55:11 AM »
As I stated in the R-4 Team thread:

And if there is a problem with a cable Ed made, call him. He's much easier to reach by phone than e-mail.

FWIW, I recently (a month or two ago) had Ed make me a power cable and everything is fine. He's well aware of the reverse polarity, though we can all mess up from time to time (if that ends up being the case).

A quick call to Ed will get everything straightened out.

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 11:01:45 AM »
You may be right and I guess I'll have to do just that but should I really have to call when he has a website and pm's here?  I think not.  JMO though.  It's called customer service.

As I stated in the R-4 Team thread:

And if there is a problem with a cable Ed made, call him. He's much easier to reach by phone than e-mail.

FWIW, I recently (a month or two ago) had Ed make me a power cable and everything is fine. He's well aware of the reverse polarity, though we can all mess up from time to time (if that ends up being the case).

A quick call to Ed will get everything straightened out.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 11:37:07 AM »
You may be right and I guess I'll have to do just that but should I really have to call when he has a website and pm's here?  I think not.  JMO though.  It's called customer service.
Well this is irking me big time.  Ed won't return my emails.  WTF?

I rarely expect (or receive) quality customer service via email.  And especially in very small operations, I've found phone always the best communication method for addressing any issues.  I could be wrong, but I don't think Ed makes cables as a full-time job, which further lowers my expectations for immediate turnaround on emails, PMs, etc.  Sounds like your expectations are a bit higher than mine.  At any rate, picking up a phone seems like an easy enough action to take to resolve an issue, and is no skin off my back, personally.  However you move forward, I hope you resolve your issues soon - I have first hand experience with the frustration gear problems pose and know it's not fun.

Yesterday I thought I'd give the cable another test.  No power.  So I went to work leaving the battery and cable connected in my portabrace.  Came home to this!  Not sure if the two are related but this shit sketches me out.  Thoughts?

To what was the battery and cable connected - just each other?  Or also the R4?  Or charger?  Regardless, I'd break out a multimeter and check the cable for polarity and continuity / shorts.  But from the looks of it, I suspect you simply have a bunk battery.  Can't really explain why it didn't work with the R4 (though the polarity / continuity test may or may not provide an answer), but then did work with the MP2, but...I've seen far stranger things happen.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 11:54:23 AM »
You're right Brian.  It probably is just a bunk battery but like you said it works fine (or did anyway) with my other gear (not sure what you meant by MP2).  No matter what battery I use the R4 won't work.  I have 5. The cable was connected to the battery and the R4.  The R4 was off.  Sat for 10 hours like that.  I do need a multimeter though.  Thanks for the reminder.  I guess it was more of when I read Jim's post it kinda freaked me out a bit.  Same symptom.  Be careful Jim! 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 01:00:51 PM »
You're right Brian.  It probably is just a bunk battery but like you said it works fine (or did anyway) with my other gear (not sure what you meant by MP2).  No matter what battery I use the R4 won't work.  I have 5. The cable was connected to the battery and the R4.  The R4 was off.  Sat for 10 hours like that.  I do need a multimeter though.  Thanks for the reminder.  I guess it was more of when I read Jim's post it kinda freaked me out a bit.  Same symptom.  Be careful Jim!

By MP2, I meant the Aerco - thought I read you tried the battery that did not work with the R4 and it worked with the Aerco.

FWIW, I don't ever leave my gear unattended while plugged into batteries - just makes me nervous.  Not saying that caused any problems, just that it's not a risk I'm willing to take (despite the very low odds of something happening).

I missed that you tried the R4 with other batteries.  That suggests a cable or R4 issue.  Definitely pick up a multimeter and check the cable's continuity / polarity.  Hopefully you find an issue with the cable, and not the R4 itself.  To what value did you have the R4's "final voltage"?  Does the R4 still power up and function properly using the wallwart?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 02:05:03 PM »
To clarify the ratshack cable works fine for the R4.  So does the AC.

easy jim

Re: R-4 Pro/BG 10-14-88 help ?
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 03:23:23 PM »
I was able to make everything work last night with a radiocrack adaptaplug set (2x M connectors) and the supplied 4pin adapater thanks to the help of everyone here, so I'm positive now it was the cable I received that was bad.

I've been a lagger about following up with Ed, though, and I decided to try and totally isolate the issue first and be certain before doing that.  I do not want to make any 'customer service' commentary, because I have not followed up there until I contact Ed and ask him to fix/redo.  Sorry to hear about your issues Mark.  Hopefully, it is just a matter of people sometimes making mistakes, and giving a chance to fix it.  I know I can be quite a space-case at times.  Sometimes embarrassment and personal issues get in the way of prompt follow up, and I'll hope it will be taken care of soon for both of us.

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2007, 11:24:35 PM »
hey jim and mark
just got home and saw this.
i have another festival to archive tommorrow.
i will get in touch with you guys on monday
i apologize for any and all inconvenience.
thanks
ed
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 09:00:25 PM »
Well this is irking me big time.  Ed won't return my emails.  WTF?  He certainly did when I ordered and payed him.  Yesterday I thought I'd give the cable another test.  No power.  So I went to work leaving the battery and cable connected in my portabrace.  Came home to this!  Not sure if the two are related but this shit sketches me out.  Thoughts?

Edited to add.  This was a farely new battery with low low use.   :'(  Doubt I should try to charge it  ???

Could the cable end have somehow shorted out against something?  Would that even cause the battery to overheat and melt, as it appears to have?  Anyone else had a meltdown like this, and can it be avoided by always unplugging the power cable, which I do anyway?

easy jim

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 09:56:31 AM »
hey jim and mark
thanks
ed

Hi Ed,

I understand things happen and appreciate the response here. 
I just sent you an email outisde the TS to follow up.

James

easy jim

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 01:00:10 PM »
hey jim and mark
thanks
ed

Hi Ed,

I understand things happen and appreciate the response here. 
I just sent you an email outisde the TS to follow up.

James

Follow up:  I received the replacement cable Ed sent back to me and used it successfully last night.

Thanks for taking caring of things and fixing the cable.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com