Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help I Can't Get Any Sound To Record  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Bocephusfan07

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Help I Can't Get Any Sound To Record
« on: June 16, 2007, 03:21:00 PM »
I Have A Sony MZ-N505 Portable MiniDisc Recorder. And Here's a Picture Of It At This Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280117314380&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=018

And I have a Sony ECM-DS70P Electret Condenser Stereo Microphone. And Here's a Picture of it at this link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150123707696&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=005

And I have the following MiniDiscs and you can see them at this link : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270126929512&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=017.

I do what the instructions say to get it in record mode and it says it's recording and it records but it picks up absolutely no sound. I plug the Mic into the Line In ( Optical ) Because that's the only other whole besides the headphones whole and the DC IN 3V whole. I don't know if I might of got the wrong Mic or what I may have done but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !!!

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
Re: Help I Can't Get Any Sound To Record
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 03:51:02 PM »
with this mic you can ONLY record on a recorders MIC-in (OR on line-in with a battery box but forget this option for your mic+recorder combination!) , BUT I don´t think this mic will forward a signal to the line-in which is audible(strong enough). Sony mics tend being very insensitive..only a small amount of signal passes through the chain. that´s why you could record on mic-in (if your recorder had mic-in) extremely loud shows with this mic and the ecm-719 and the ecm-907 sony mics.
so get a different better mic+battery box and choose line-in OR
get a recorder with mic-in for using this mic.
;)
p.s. a battery box powers a mic with 9V or 12V because the line-in has no plugin-power(MIC-in).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 03:56:31 PM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline Bocephusfan07

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 04:04:15 PM »
Could you give me any suggestions of a cheap mic that would work ?

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 04:10:24 PM »
Could you give me any suggestions of a cheap mic that would work ?
you could go for chis church´s cardioid mics and his battery box which provide the best result for it´s price.
chris is a member here.
cheap mics = bad sound. never forget this ;).

http://stores.ebay.ca/CHURCH-AUDIO

stevetoney

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 09:13:05 AM »
(OR on line-in with a battery box but forget this option for your mic+recorder combination!) ,

Why say this...does this MD not have a Line-In jack?  If it does, then a path from mics > battery box > Line In is usually the preferred way to go because of the options some battery boxes give for bass roll off, increased voltage to mics, etc.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »
(OR on line-in with a battery box but forget this option for your mic+recorder combination!) ,

Why say this...does this MD not have a Line-In jack?  If it does, then a path from mics > battery box > Line In is usually the preferred way to go because of the options some battery boxes give for bass roll off, increased voltage to mics, etc.
i know the sony mics and with just a battery box you will NOT get enough signal. the same goes for the ecm-719 and 907 on LINE-IN with a bbox. tried it myself and almost NOTHING was audible...forget this combination.
;)
Sony mics are way too insensitive compared to better high sensitive mics like at853 or mke40´s etc.

stevetoney

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 09:12:32 AM »

i know the sony mics and with just a battery box you will NOT get enough signal. the same goes for the ecm-719 and 907 on LINE-IN with a bbox. tried it myself and almost NOTHING was audible...forget this combination.
;)
Sony mics are way too insensitive compared to better high sensitive mics like at853 or mke40´s etc.

But the way I'm reading it, I guess there's some remaining confusion that can be read into what you wrote.  What one might read into your statement is that you CAN therefore use a Sony mic using the Mic In jack.  That's not the case is it because if you don't have a battery box, you'd have even less power from the Mic In jack than you'd have with the battery box.  I think what your are saying is, don't bother with the Sony mic into either the Line In OR the Mic In, right?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 09:15:57 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 09:27:15 AM »
option 1: sony ecm-719 on MIC-in is OK also for loud shows with mic-sens low WITHOUT a bbox!
option 2: ie. church cardioids + bbox on line-in
option 3: ie. church cardioids + preamp on line-in

as the threadstarter does NOT have mic-in on his recorder, I would suggest option 2 or 3.
of course any other electret condenser mic from soundprofessional or microphonemadness etc. can be used as well for option 2 and 3.

sony mics on line-in =>forget it ;).

the ebay-seller should have stated "MIC-in ONLY"...but he didn´t.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 09:32:58 AM by Arni99 »

Offline tiberiusbkirk

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 10:56:31 AM »
If I recall, the N505 does not have a Mic-in.
It's a NetMD unit with line in. Still a nice unit though.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com