Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: channel cut outs with my MD  (Read 2566 times)

Offline bobcat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
channel cut outs with my MD
« on: June 20, 2007, 08:27:24 PM »

hello all..im curious what you guys have to say about a problem i am having

my line in on my mini disc appears to be cutting one of my channels out when i record :( it only happens if i move the plug in around a bit in my pocket,,mostly its cut out a few times here and there but comes back,,but my most recent show i purposely moved the jack around hoping it would be static free or whatever...and i screwed the last 40 min of my show up cause the channel cut totally off on me :(

is there a way to fix the line in jack or what can i do??  my only thought so far is putting a little oil or some kind of lubricant on the jack plug in.. its like wetting it with your spit,,my cousn showed me that one..if u get static wet it with your tongue and its clean again without fuzzing out on ya... this appears to be the same somewhat..but im unsure what to do..

KY!!! anyone?? haha

nameloc01

Re: channel cut outs with my MD
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 09:15:11 PM »

my line in on my mini disc appears to be cutting one of my channels out when i record :( it only happens if i move the plug in around a bit in my pocket,,mostly its cut out a few times here and there but comes back,,but my most recent show i purposely moved the jack around hoping it would be static free or whatever...and i screwed the last 40 min of my show up cause the channel cut totally off on me :(

is there a way to fix the line in jack or what can i do??  my only thought so far is putting a little oil or some kind of lubricant on the jack plug in.. its like wetting it with your spit,,my cousn showed me that one..if u get static wet it with your tongue and its clean again without fuzzing out on ya... this appears to be the same somewhat..but im unsure what to do..

KY!!! anyone?? haha
i had a very similiar problem before.bigtime drop-outs during recording, and static. turns out it wasnt the jack on the MD, is was the jack on the BB,the mic jack.
what kind of power supply are you using? could it possibly be that?

if you have more than one BB, try them both to see if it still does it when you use a different one.( or even the mics too)

Offline bobcat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 10:57:23 PM »

KY!!! anyone?? haha
i had a very similiar problem before.bigtime drop-outs during recording, and static. turns out it wasnt the jack on the MD, is was the jack on the BB,the mic jack.

if you have more than one BB, try them both to see if it still does it when you use a different one.( or even the mics too)

good reply there sir!!!! indeed i have made sure about this,,i have used different mics and its happened to me with both sets... and they both use different battery boxes... (core sound cards) and AT853S with the sound pros mini battery module)

i was matrixing in real time  as well using both sets of mics :P so u can imagine i was pissed off about this,,, all that trouble to sneak in dual gear and blah blah blah and then it cuts out..so at least my recording isnt really mono..its 2 mics that recorded the show..but only on the one side,,,i still sounds good..but thats bullcrap and i have to fix this line in on my md..its gotta be that...its happened with both sets of mics when i used them seperatly..so no,,its definatly the line in..

hmm what to do..what to do...

nameloc01

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 11:38:33 PM »

KY!!! anyone?? haha

good reply there sir!!!! indeed i have made sure about this,,i have used different mics and its happened to me with both sets... and they both use different battery boxes... (core sound cards) and AT853S with the sound pros mini battery module)

i was matrixing in real time  as well using both sets of mics :P so u can imagine i was pissed off about this,,, all that trouble to sneak in dual gear and blah blah blah and then it cuts out..so at least my recording isnt really mono..its 2 mics that recorded the show..but only on the one side,,,i still sounds good..but thats bullcrap and i have to fix this line in on my md..its gotta be that...its happened with both sets of mics when i used them seperatly..so no,,its definatly the line in..

hmm what to do..what to do...
what make/model is the md?

Offline bobcat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 02:17:05 AM »

the MD would be a SONY MZ-N1 the net kind...all i do with it though is record shows....thats it! nothing more! transfer and it waits for the next gig

not bag..

Offline tiberiusbkirk

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 11:16:26 AM »
Did you find out what caused it?
I finally found out why my levels were low on one channel and it was the mic plug. (DIY mics)
It had a grounding issue where if the plug was moved, the level on one channel drops. If my MD unit
was stationary, it wouldn't be a problem, but if it were on me and I may be moving around then the
recording may be bad.

Offline bobcat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 12:00:40 PM »

thanx for the reply ...but im postive its the mic jack on the md..the plug in part..cause like i said in the message above its happeened with two differetn sets of mics...so it more then likely is coming from the MD.

i think i have a fast fix that should work,,, and ill just go easy on that hole for line in..jack plug..whatever u want to call it,,, 

Offline ~sin213~

• Taperssection Regular
  • Kaizoku!
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 05:22:46 PM »
I think its cause you dropped your stuff in the toilet that one time...

just my .02

LOL!   :P

edit:  just found this bob...check it out.
http://www.minidisc.org/part_hacking.html
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 05:27:57 PM by ~sin213~ »
#1 - MM-HLSC-1 > MM-MBM > R09
#2 - AT853 > CA9100 3wire Preamp/BattBox > R09

Coachella 06, 07, 08
Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08

Upcoming Shows
9/3 - Ice Cube | 9/8 - The Toadies | 9/22 - Beck |9/23 - My Morning Jacket | 9/27 - Edgefest (Gogol!) | 10/11 - The Bakerton Group | 10/14 - The Roots | 11/28 - Dir en Grey | 11/29 - Soulfly & Cavelera Conspiracy | 12/13 - NIN (Vegas)

Drive Out The Bush Regime!
For more info on how you can get involved, plz visit:
http://www.worldcantwait.net

Offline bobcat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 06:41:21 PM »

mini disc hacking?? who??? im on my way to check that out

ya that toilet shit was fucked!!! the most fucked part is now i understand why that battery box was dropping inbetween my legs like a turd!!! it wasnt even in the pouch i had saftey pinned to my gitch!!! it was inbetween that and the undies!! so im llucky the fuckin thing didnt even fall out before i got in the venue..

thats why it flung out of my ass like a turd !!! HAHAH its all true..whats even funnier kinda is i was trying to suck the water out of the holes were u plug it in..so all you could hear in the bathroom was some dude going SHUUUUUUUUUUUCK in the stall! HAHAHAH

good times..

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 07:49:25 PM »

mini disc hacking?? who??? im on my way to check that out

ya that toilet shit was fucked!!! the most fucked part is now i understand why that battery box was dropping inbetween my legs like a turd!!! it wasnt even in the pouch i had saftey pinned to my gitch!!! it was inbetween that and the undies!! so im llucky the fuckin thing didnt even fall out before i got in the venue..

thats why it flung out of my ass like a turd !!! HAHAH its all true..whats even funnier kinda is i was trying to suck the water out of the holes were u plug it in..so all you could hear in the bathroom was some dude going SHUUUUUUUUUUUCK in the stall! HAHAHAH

good times..

Don't feel bad one time I was at a gig and I dropped my cell phone in the crapper. I think you might have a bad or cold solder joint on your minidisc circuit board that holds your input jack... This is a simple fix if you can use a soldering iron and can take apart your MD with out screwing it up.. If not send it to me I will look at it for free and if its just a bad solder joint I will fix it for free.. But you have to pay for return shipping. Something like that takes me about 5 seconds to do...

PS.. there are lots of guys on T.S that can do this that are in the USA. But if you need help and cant find anyone else to do this let me know.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.171 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com