Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: An audio data drive is full when...  (Read 1301 times)

Offline lerond

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
An audio data drive is full when...
« on: July 12, 2007, 03:45:31 PM »
Hi folks!

Filled up another drive last night, plopped in a new one in it's stead and thought I'd check if there's any sort of consensus about when a drive is "full."
Searching the web, I find anecdotal suggestions that a drive should be considered full once there is only 8-20% free space remaining, but most of the discussion centers on boot drives (where the system will be reading/writing frequently) rather than data archive drives.

Anyone care to share a reasoned opinion?

My $0.02 is that while a drive used for archiving may not need any free space, it's hard to predict whether or not I might want to make minor changes to "archived" file sets -- things like updating info files, adding photos, and so on -- so my current practice is to keep about 1 GB free, as that would allow me to make lots of such changes without having to worry about the issue.

And fwiw, I try and buy disks in matched pairs so as to make it that much easier to keep a full backup.
ain't no party like a katydid party
jumpin' and a hoppin' and singin' them songs!

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: An audio data drive is full when...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 06:23:28 AM »
I wonder the same thing. On my 250gb WD External I have 24gb free at the moment. I'm wondering how much of that I can use without fucking up the drive?? Its used for archive only so I would guess maybe 5gig (just in case I need to edit files)??

Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline taper420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: An audio data drive is full when...
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 08:02:48 AM »
As far as storage goes I usually fill it up all the way. Boot drives are different due to the need for virtual memory. I've never had problems, but I'm no expert.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com