Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Please Help  (Read 8371 times)

Offline Girlygirl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Please Help
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2007, 06:54:44 PM »
ok, going to archive.org now  :)

Went to archive.org and was unable to locate/figure out how to locate sound samples from the Indigo Girls. When I did a search I only found 1 cover of Closer to Fine and the rest were other bands. I didn't think this would be so difficult. Can anyone send a link?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 07:15:04 PM by Girlygirl »

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2007, 10:24:29 PM »
I don't think the Indigo Girls are OK with Archive.  No shows are hosted there, anyway.  You're going to need to look for something similar and do some listening with an eye towards the gear used.

Also, have you been searching other threads on this board yet?  Many of the questions you're asking have been answered many, many times, so if you spend a few hours for a few days a week just reading threads here, you'll learn much more, much faster than you will with this particular thread.  There are so many knowledgeable folks here who simply won't chime into this thread because the information is already here.  Really and amazing knowledge base you'll miss out on if you don't do that...

:)
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2007, 12:17:28 AM »
For recording basics, check out the Getting Started thread.  The follow-up thread to which it links - I have a budget of $NNN, what gear should I buy? - is out of date, but for the sake of discussion most of the recorders mentioned here perform functions [2-5] (though some also include [1]), requiring only external mics for concert recording.

And some basic info on polar patterns:  http://www.crownaudio.com/mic_web/tips/mictip2.htm

Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Girlygirl

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2007, 03:51:57 PM »
Thanks Brian and deanlambrecht. That was helpful information.

Offline J.Maye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Formerly Phan2001
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2007, 01:32:59 PM »
If I had 2k to drop and wanted some mics I could clip on I would go with some DPA 4061>MMA6000>iriver H120 or H320(no optical). Small, light, simple to power, and you can drag and drop files off of the iriver to your computer via USB. Very discreet setup that can be run either on a stand or on your body.  Should be under 2k I the end. In my opinion it is the best stealth option available.The church audio package is a great option as well. It’s a package that is, in my opinion, pretty similar to the DPA setup but more affordable, and if you don’t like it Im sure you could sell it pretty quick in the yard sale here. CA stuff is affordable new, the DPA stuff will be a lot cheaper used. 
AKG CK91/92/93/94>mk93/h98>se300b>BM2P+ua5>M10
Or
CA ST11 (C,O)>9100>M10
Busman T mod R4

kskreider

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2007, 05:36:30 PM »
I agree with phan.  If you want to stay w/i your budget but want clip-on's go with the micro DPA's.

Offline Girlygirl

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2007, 09:51:44 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I apologize if this has already been discussed “many many times.” I really have spent many hours on the site and still have questions. That is why I went to the newbie friendly section (although I have been recording shows for years!) for advice. I really want to make the right decision if I am going to be spending $2,000 or more.

So it is my understanding that the DPA’s are a type of mic and the MMA6000 is a mini mic amp, power supply. Is that correct? If not please correct me and forgive my ignorance. If so, are there particular brands that I should consider first? I think having stealth mics are a better fit for me because certain venues have hassled me and I prefer to not deal with that. Some small clubs like Club Passim in Cambridge, MA might not be thrilled with mic stands and such and I go there often. I also really like the Peluso CEMC6 mics. I might splurge and go over budget and get both a pair of DPA’s and the larger Pelsuo CEMC6’s.

As for the recorder I am leaning towards the Tascam HD-P2. Has anyone had experience with the Tascam HD-P2 and DPA’s and MMA6000? I like the size of the Iriver H320 but I think I might get more bang out of something like the Tascam HD-P2. The other 2 that I like are the Marantz PMD-671 and Fostex FR2LE. All three of these were recommended by Brian Skalinder. Thanks Brian! Would any of these 3 work better with DPA’s? What do you think about these choices?

I got this chart off of the Tascam website. What sample rate would I record in for great quality with out recording only 2 hours on an 8GB CF card? In other words, if I got a couple of 8GB CF cards could I record over 13 hours on each and have cd quality sound?

Sample Rate    44.1k/16-bit   48k/16-bit   48k/24-bit   96k/24-bit   192k/24-bit
512MB CF card   50 min    46 min    31 min    15 min    7 min
1GB CF card    1.6 hrs   1.5 hrs    1 hr    30 min    15 min
2GB CF card    3.3 hrs    3.1 hrs    2 hrs    1 hr    30 min
4GB CF card    6.7 hrs    6.2 hrs    4.1 hrs    2 hrs    1 hr
8GB CF card   13.5 hrs    12.4 hrs    8.2 hrs    4.1 hrs    2 hrs

Again….I truly appreciate all of your opinions.

kskreider

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2007, 10:36:31 PM »
Buying a full size set and a mini size set of mics is a good idea, but if you are going to push your budget consider getting a single pair that fulfills both options.  A mic set that has 'active' cables between the mic bodies and the mic capsules will still support a 'very low profile" while providing very high quality sound reproduction.  The mic bodies themselves are usually very small making it very easy to keep the larger parts concealed in your bag and the smaller parts in a hat maintaining discreteness.

Offline Girlygirl

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2007, 10:44:17 PM »
I think that is a great idea. I didn't know I had that option. How do I search for information on a set of these mics that have double duty "active" cables? Is there a code word? Thanks for the info DarkStarjedi.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2007, 11:04:40 PM »
You do not need to purchase an _outboard/external_ ADC, since almost any recording device you purchase will likely have it's own internal ADC, and will therefore do that job for you. People generally  purchase external ADC's, because they want to improve on the sound quality of the analog to digital conv., over the built-in one on their recorder. Although I have not used Audacity, I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with ADC's. Having something recorded, and then using that source to connect via USB to your computer, and burning to CD should not be a problem, as long as you have a drive in your PC that burns cd's, and can use software(like Audacity) to split tracks/normalize/add gain.

Harold

Thanks Harold. I will look for recorders that have an internal ADC then. Do any of you know which ones do??? What software have you used Harold?

You dont have to get a recorder with a "digital input" and you dont have to spend $2k.. I would suggest an edirol R-09 or a Korg MR-1 recorder very small, very simple to use.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

kskreider

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2007, 11:53:59 PM »
I think that is a great idea. I didn't know I had that option. How do I search for information on a set of these mics that have double duty "active" cables? Is there a code word? Thanks for the info DarkStarjedi.

Girlygirl, you actually put the code word in quotes in your post above.  Try here and use Google images or the like to see pics.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,15762.0.html

JK Labs does not make their product anymore, but there is a user named Nick here (SchoepsNBox) who makes an active mic body setup for Schoeps mic capsules and active cables called the 'NBox'.

And as Chris and Dirk (TNJazz) pointed out you dont need a super fancy recorder, but one thing the Korg MR-1000 (and lesser MR-1) does is record in DSD which appears to be the next popular format coming down the pipe.  It is the only portable one of its kind so far.  It does that all while still having the capability of recording in PCM format which is the format that most digital recorders use nowadays.

A few images for reference...

MBHO

Neumann

Schoeps

Those go pretty much in order of price for those three.   MBHO<NEUMANN<SCHOEPS

NOw if you really wanna break the bank then let's talk body-less mics...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com