Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I'm thinking about a phono pre  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
I'm thinking about a phono pre
« on: September 01, 2007, 11:28:42 AM »
I'm definitely a playback n00b, and it's gonna take me forever to build up something decent, but I'm looking at taking the next step by picking up a budget phono preamp.  I'm running a Denon DP-755 table with an Inifinity Black Widow arm and AT 440MLa cart.  15 year old Technics receiver on the cheap end, and I'm using its internal phono section.  Don't really know what I'm looking for besides "better" :)  My understanding is that most any outboard phono pre should beat the internal?

The Bellari VP129 (~ $250) caught my untrained eye because of the tube.  Someone here recently mentioned the Cambridge Audio (~$170) also. 

Anyone want to comment on either of these, suggest something else in similar price range, tell me I'm all wrong and need to replace my speakers instead ;), anything?

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
Re: I'm thinking about a phono pre
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 01:41:48 PM »
Avoid the Bellari, I had one & the ground hum was unbearable. Supposedly it is fixed with the newer model but tech support was useless. Yep, I mentioned the Cambridge & feel for the money it can't be beat. I wouldn't waste my time with anything else.

With that being said I bet your internal pre is pretty decent if it was made in the heyday of vinyl. Maybe your receiver is a little too new but if it was an 70's vintage I would say you would be hard pressed to beat it without spending considerable money.

Also, sounds like you have a great deck. Both your arm & that cart are highly regarded. I would just make sure the cart isn't a little too much mass for the Black Widow, from what I remember the Widow needs a high compliance cart. Without getting too deep into mass vs. compliance you can check the website below & see how your arm & cart match up. Just play it & enjoy if this is a little too geeky for you  ;D

http://www.cartridgedb.com/
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
Re: I'm thinking about a phono pre
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 04:50:10 PM »
Now that I think back, the receiver is probably mid-90's era, so it probably just missed not having a phono section at all . ..

Mass and compliance I definitely don't understand yet  ::) but is there something I'd hear wrong if the cart wasn't a good match for my arm?

Thanks for the advice

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com