Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Weird waveform?  (Read 1939 times)

Offline atxwolfattack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Weird waveform?
« on: September 17, 2007, 06:10:10 PM »
So i know there are a million weird waveform posts, and i went through a lot but could not find my problem.

I didn't notice it in Audacity, but once i opened up the file in CD Wave Editor, i noticed that the waveform seemed lopsided. I don't know the correct definition for this. Also, if someone could tell me what DC Offset means and phasing means, i would appreciate it, i feel stupid for not knowing, but i hear people mentioning it with wav problems, and i can't find the correct meaning anywhere.

One was a super quiet song, one was a little louder.

Offline pontiacb

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Weird waveform?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 01:59:06 PM »
Hi,

I've had this problem (asymmetric waveform) in the past and asked in another forum a year or so ago before I had plucked up the courage to ask on this site (I asked on the Dime Yahoo group). 

The response I got was that it could be the sign of the battery in my battery box going flat.  I also got told that it was nothing to worry about in terms of overall sound apart from in extreme cases it limited the volume to which the waveform could be amplified before clipping (the volume being effectively the average of the wave above and below zero).   Someone else reported that they had experienced the same in the final couple of recordings before their mics (SP-CMC-2s I think) went down (hope that's not the case for you).

DC offset - you should be able to find a good technical response by searching this forum - my understanding is you have a DC offset when in quiet or zero parts you notice the horizontal wave form is either above or below zero.  This can be corrected in Audacity or elsewhere and I believe that the correction should be performed before further processing (e.g. amplification) so that you don't amplify the offset further. 

Sorry not a very technical reponse, but you are not alone in experiencing both of these issues - they seem reasonably common from the responses I got.  I'm sure someone else can provide a better technical explanation.

Edit - I should add that the asymmetry in the wave forms I was getting was far greater than in your examples. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 02:01:13 PM by pontiacb »

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 10:49:02 PM »
I have gotten wave asymmetry with a pretty good setup so I figure it is nothing to worry about.  The sound itself is fine.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Petrus

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 03:51:41 AM »
Could it just be a strong bass signal and higher frequencies just piggybacking that? If it sounds fine and all? What is the frequency of the strong wave?

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 07:23:18 AM »
Could it just be a strong bass signal and higher frequencies just piggybacking that? If it sounds fine and all? What is the frequency of the strong wave?

bingo  :)
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 08:05:30 AM »
I noticed this when I was doing voice over work. After trouble shooting and posting here, I settled on it being the distinct signature of the voice I was recording. Other TS members pointed out that this is quite common with certain instruments. I can't quite remember but I wanna say it's certain woodwinds and brass.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com