Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: acoustic show hiss problem  (Read 5201 times)

Offline pepper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: acoustic show hiss problem
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 03:49:10 PM »
Ive given up,could be here for days trying to send it :o ::)

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 03:56:15 PM »
It may change the dynamics a bit (not sure about that though), but you can use a software program to try to eliminate the hiss.  If you can find a program that is intended to clean-up vinyl recordings or something of the sort.  There are professional programs(expensive) or consumer programs(not as expensive).  You might be able to pick up a consumer program at a "big box" electronics store.  I use "Magix Audio Cleaning Lab".  It's an older version...  they have newer versions out.  But it works well for some applications.  In the U.S., they sometimes carry it at "big box" stores such as Best Buy.  I would bet that you could eliminate the hiss with that program.  Could the hiss be the "line level" of the instruments? 
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline DaveG73

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Beer and Music.
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 04:05:24 PM »
No help from here pepper, but if you both (you and heath) do bittorrent and use the same client I believe it is possible to set up a private torrent which might prove a little faster than upping to a (fake) FTP deal.

There are a lot of If's and Buts in that idea tho.

Good Luck.

Dave.
Always Taping Under The Influence.

I was under the assumption that as a taper, we're all geeks?  I just thought it went with the territory?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 10:22:21 PM »
File fixing IS PART the subject of this thread, and the editing help from several members  :angel:  making TS a great place.   :realhappy:

But wait! There's more! The other part at least to me is finding the cause.

Hard to believe I'm only one finding the solution part important ??? Or maybe I space out,  :o totally missing 'we've already' found the cause' part? 

Maybe after file fix efforts near completion, and if the recording's noise truly appears excessive AND likely hardware/settings related, suggest further discussion on the CAUSE AND EFFECT part in helping fellow taper.

Otherwise, good chance TS guys have permanent nice-guy job fixing files made using identical mic/deck/recording settings.  :banging head:

Since many here do not record purely acoustic or low level amplified session/live music venues, a newbie taper and those fixing files may not know normal noise range using low costing gear  :hmmm: ; might help to have comparisons.  :thinking:

Suggest page on my site with scores of  purely acoustic performance 'raw' (encoded directly to MP3 recordings) using one type of mic, but notes clearly describing all types of cassette, MD, DAT, Flash deck systems over the past 22 years. 
Suggest scrolling down age finding acoustic performances similar to type being fixed, then download for easy comparison. If wanting to know (if I can recall) deck input settings used, please feel free to PM me a query stating recording's name, and best to copy notes into PM showing deck model + accessories list.

Find food :headphones: for comparison at www.sonicstudios.com/mp3_2slp.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 10:32:27 PM »
File fixing IS PART the subject of this thread, and the editing help from several members  :angel:  making TS a great place.   :realhappy:

But wait! There's more! The other part at least to me is finding the cause.

Hard to believe I'm only one finding the solution part important ??? Or maybe I space out,  :o totally missing 'we've already' found the cause' part? 

Maybe after file fix efforts near completion, and if the recording's noise truly appears excessive AND likely hardware/settings related, suggest further discussion on the CAUSE AND EFFECT part in helping fellow taper.

Otherwise, good chance TS guys have permanent nice-guy job fixing files made using identical mic/deck/recording settings.  :banging head:

Since many here do not record purely acoustic or low level amplified session/live music venues, a newbie taper and those fixing files may not know normal noise range using low costing gear  :hmmm: ; might help to have comparisons.  :thinking:

Suggest page on my site with scores of  purely acoustic performance 'raw' (encoded directly to MP3 recordings) using one type of mic, but notes clearly describing all types of cassette, MD, DAT, Flash deck systems over the past 22 years. 
Suggest scrolling down age finding acoustic performances similar to type being fixed, then download for easy comparison. If wanting to know (if I can recall) deck input settings used, please feel free to PM me a query stating recording's name, and best to copy notes into PM showing deck model + accessories list.

Find food :headphones: for comparison at www.sonicstudios.com/mp3_2slp.htm

i guess the reason why i choose to focus on the solution rather than the cause is because it's my job.  However, you raise a good point that we should also look into the root cause of the problem.  Pepper, feel free to PM and maybe you can mail a cd?  If not, no biggie.  Just curious at thihs point to hear the noise.

h
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline chrish

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2007, 01:56:53 PM »
bias soundsoap should take care of your problem. look at the link for a great tour of the program. hope it helps!

http://www.bias-inc.com/downloads/videos/soundsoap2/movie.php

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com