Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Amplify Volume  (Read 8573 times)

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Amplify Volume
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 07:00:15 PM »
Light compression + 'make up gain' is the same thing that 'normalization' does, with the main difference being that 'normalization' uses an algorithm to compute the dynamics processing and I prefer the specifc control of dialing in the compression the way I like it.

Just a quick note to say this isn't necessarily the case, generally - it depends on how the specific software one uses performs normalization.  I believe RMS normalization does something like the above, while peak normalization simply adds what you call "make up gain".  Some software provides an option for both methods, others perform just one (or the other) option (and often don't indicate which).

Gotcha Brian.  Thanks for the correction.

For some reason, I was thinking 'normalization' always meant 'RMS normalization.'

So, I guess I manually 'peak normalize' 2 track stereo recordings, and 'peak normalize' my matrix/multi recordings post signal/dynamic processing.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 07:10:04 PM »
I try and stick to the standard used by the commercial live download sites: -0.2 dBFS

Same, but I didn't realize that the commercial live download sites do the same.

So do you normalize and then amplify?

As said by Brian and Jim - I normalize based on the peak value, not the RMS (average) value. That way everything is boosted by the same dB amount. Some software programs call this amplify and not normalization.

Offline rasta

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2007, 09:33:24 PM »
I try and stick to the standard used by the commercial live download sites: -0.2 dBFS

As said by Brian and Jim - I normalize based on the peak value, not the RMS (average) value. That way everything is boosted by the same dB amount. Some software programs call this amplify and not normalization.
I have soundstudio3 which has both normalize and an amplification feature.  You can normalize by RMS or Peak.  If I normalize using Peak Value then should I also amplify to -.2dB's or just leave it alone?  You all are all helping me so much. +T!
4023>m148>722

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 11:56:49 PM »
That's exactly what I do.   :coolguy:

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2007, 01:29:59 AM »
I have soundstudio3 which has both normalize and an amplification feature.  You can normalize by RMS or Peak.  If I normalize using Peak Value then should I also amplify to -.2dB's or just leave it alone?  You all are all helping me so much. +T!

If peak normalization gets your levels up close to 0 dBFS, no need to amplify.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline rasta

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 11:14:32 AM »

If peak normalization gets your levels up close to 0 dBFS, no need to amplify.
Thanks.
4023>m148>722

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 11:33:39 AM »

I also use Sound Studio. Just use their normalization function, set it to peak @-0.2 dB and you'll be fine.

Offline rasta

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 01:36:40 PM »

I also use Sound Studio. Just use their normalization function, set it to peak @-0.2 dB and you'll be fine.
+T
4023>m148>722

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2007, 04:35:11 PM »
always normalize first--this will find the peak and adjust everything ele accordingly then you want to amplify to maybe -0.2.  This gives a head room because not all playback systems can be listened to when amplified to 0.  So give yourself a little room.  I use WAVES plug in Ultramaximizer it amplifies and it wont amplify if you have gone and peaked or recorded hot--it can bring everything else up to where the hottest point is while giveing it a nice soft blend of gain up to -0.2.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2007, 12:08:21 AM »

[/quote]

Question: why -0.2 db and not 0 db?
Any specific reason for that?
Thanks in advance. ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2007, 08:01:17 AM »
From what I've read, some DACs don't deal with 0dB very well, producing audible artifacts. By sticking with slightly under that, you're OK.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2007, 11:54:02 AM »
From what I've read, some DACs don't deal with 0dB very well, producing audible artifacts. By sticking with slightly under that, you're OK.

Thanks a lot, friend. ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com