Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: fiddling with stereo field in post-production????  (Read 2094 times)

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
fiddling with stereo field in post-production????
« on: October 06, 2007, 07:49:58 PM »
Last night I bootlegged John McLaughlin and his latest electric project, the Fourth Dimension.  I was in a great old concert hall, floor seats, just to
the right of the soundboard.  Lots of great stereo imaging, and not too much hall echo thanks to being located just under the first balcony.
If you like jazz-fusion, check it out and please give me some feedback on my question below. One track in flac
format at:
http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/b2a3ex

It's also seeding in 16bit FLAC form over at Dime.

I have kept the original .wav files for burning to cdr, and because I'm not happy yet. Below is my question.

Do you think the overall stereo field is too wide and diffuse?  Is there some weird phasing going on?  I had small cardiods clipped to my shoulders, and I think the resulting pattern is a bit too spacious. I'd love to somehow focus things down a bit, and retrieve more of the stereo imaging that was going
on at my seat, drums panning across as the guy went through his toms, fast panning synth sounds, etc. I've honestly never heard that much beautiful stereo from a PA in a live show like that, and am wondering why I didn't get more of it with my equipment.

Sound Forge's pan/expand plugin is too drastic, at least using it's presets. Is there a way to specify the amount of narrowing to the stereo field? 
I need maybe half the amount the narrowing preset applies.

I was a bit to the right of dead center, so I'd like to have my recording actually focusing a little better in the center between the two speakers.  Does anybody know if that is possible to do in post?

Anyway, if you give it a listen and have some feedback, I'd really appreciate it.

Chris

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: fiddling with stereo field in post-production????
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 07:52:58 PM »
I can't help you with your question, but I know the majority of people here would prefer if you don't use the "B" word here (bootleg).

We make archival recordings. Bootlegs are recordings that are SOLD. Since I'm hoping you aren't planning on selling it, the correct word would be RECORDING.

Just a little tip for you to keep your ticket count in the positive.

Here's a +T for you.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline jmz93

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 11:35:59 PM »
Last night I bootlegged John McLaughlin and his latest electric project, the Fourth Dimension.  I was in a great old concert hall, floor seats, just to

*snip*

Sorry for using the b word. and here I thought that word was "bose" or B&O. :)

My recording is currently seeding over at dimeadozen ... so, no, I would never offer it for sale!

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 11:44:12 PM »
Yes, Bose is the other B word! Forgot about that one.  ;D
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Nicola Fankhauser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 07:23:41 AM »
hi

I like the stereo image - it's not nearly as wide as you can go with stage-lip (or almost it) recordings. however, you need absolutely to add a massive boost of the trebles above 13khz - I just added +12db at 13khz, raising gradually to +25db at 20khz. it makes a tremendous difference. the exact amount of treble boost is also a matter of taste of course...

regards
nicola

Offline jmz93

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 02:01:14 PM »
thanks for the reply and the suggestions.
Can you really hear from 15-20K? My ears really don' catch much above 15K nowadays...

Offline Nicola Fankhauser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 05:04:52 PM »
thanks for the reply and the suggestions.
Can you really hear from 15-20K? My ears really don' catch much above 15K nowadays...

well, it's more starting at about 10khz (+12db), which most people indeed still should/can hear. I attached the EQ setting I am writing about... If you want, I can send you a sample of how that sounds.

regards
nicola

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com