Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Setting up a remote recording rig  (Read 2094 times)

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Setting up a remote recording rig
« on: October 31, 2007, 11:23:52 AM »
Started this thread a while back: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,89610.0.html

I've got an old computer sitting around. I added a new 160gb HD and installed Ubuntu Linux. I've moved and its still collecting dust. I've stripped everything out of the unit. Its totally bare bones.

I've been thinking about maybe setting it up at a local music venue in need of a recording rig. There is a UA5 for sale in the yard sale for a reasonable price. I was thinking maybe some permanently mounted ceiling mics with a soundboard patch to do an on the fly matrix. Oh yeah, and I'd be perfectly happy with 16/44.1.

Basically I'm looking to make this as inexpensive and easy to use as possible. I'm thinking the only purchases I would need are a preamp/ad converter combo and a soundcard. It needs to be easy for the staff to use.

The setup would be on the complete opposite side of town so unfortunately I don't make it over there nearly enough. Is there anyway I could remotely login, download the contents for editing, then clear the 'audio' folder?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 11:27:49 AM by baustin »

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
Re: Setting up a remote recording rig
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 12:20:01 PM »

Is there anyway I could remotely login, download the contents for editing, then clear the 'audio' folder?

ftp
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 12:39:06 PM »
Basically I'm looking to make this as inexpensive and easy to use as possible. I'm thinking the only purchases I would need are a preamp/ad converter combo and a soundcard. It needs to be easy for the staff to use.

if you go with a UA5, you don't even need to buy a soundcard, just hook up the UA5 via USB.

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 01:37:30 PM »
I was thinking maybe some permanently mounted ceiling mics with a soundboard patch to do an on the fly matrix.
If the ceiling mics are more than a few feet from stage you are going to have to deal with the delay issue between the signals. You can use a piece of hardware between the SBD and the UA-5 to take care of it. the cheapest unit I know of that can do it is the Behringer Shark DSP110. The plus side is that since it's a permanent install once you get the right amount of delay dialed in you'd never have to change it. I believe they are available under a $100 new.

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 01:40:55 PM »
I was thinking maybe some permanently mounted ceiling mics with a soundboard patch to do an on the fly matrix.
If the ceiling mics are more than a few feet from stage you are going to have to deal with the delay issue between the signals. You can use a piece of hardware between the SBD and the UA-5 to take care of it. the cheapest unit I know of that can do it is the Behringer Shark DSP110. The plus side is that since it's a permanent install once you get the right amount of delay dialed in you'd never have to change it. I believe they are available under a $100 new.

actually already have a that part all taken care of.

i guess rather than logging in, i could occasionally swing by with an external and transfer everything

Offline pigiron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I just did what I did
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 11:35:54 PM »

Is there anyway I could remotely login, download the contents for editing, then clear the 'audio' folder?

ftp

since this would be an unattended box, and having yet another system turned into a zombie to pollute the internet is the last thing you want, I'd think that OpenSSH is your friend here.

personally, I'd stick with linux and kill any and all daemons/servers except for sshd  on the box.

create only root and one "user" account.... put PermitRootLogin without-password into the sshd_config file and the "user" into AllowUsers... configure PubkeyAuthentication, turn off PasswordAuthentication, and fire it up using something other than port 22.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AdvancedOpenSSH

the blackhats should now have one hell of a time installing their script kiddies... hopefully so much so, that they'll move on to a windoze box somewhere else ;D

assuming that the box will connect thru a router, you may need to "punch a hole" for that port in the router and pray that the joint has a static IP address ???

so to remotely login it's ssh... and scp or sftp to move files over the wire.

oh... then set up sudo for any audio apps that you need to locally/remotely run as root.
skm184, lsd2
v2, sd722, mini-me, jb3

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 11:43:14 PM »
When I had my UA5 and ran a matrix on the fly I was able to be 25' away and have no delay.
peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com