Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 4060 powering: info from DPA (Bruce Myers)  (Read 4377 times)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
DPA 4060 powering: info from DPA (Bruce Myers)
« on: November 09, 2007, 01:57:25 PM »
I just got a pair of DPA 4060 to put into my Edirol R09 (mic in, low sens).  I'm using a home-made battery box.

OK, I just got off the phone with Bruce Myers @ DPA.  Amazing to get a human voice and a high-up one at that!

Anyway, to power DPA 406x properly from a 9v battery, you need a 3.3k load resistor.  I first tried an 8.2k, and while it works great at low volume, it distorts pretty easily.  It is worth noting that most "standard" battery boxes use a 10k load resistor, which apparantly is too high.  So, even with 4061 (lower sens) you still need a proper resistor there.  According to Bruce, all DPA share the same mic element, and the only difference is the preamp part, which should be matched to your battery box and preamp.

So check your ohms, volts and (milli)amps folks.  I'll report back here with my progress.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
Re: DPA 4060 powering: info from DPA (Bruce Myers)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 05:24:04 PM »
Fantastic info!!! As I pointed out in another thread, every Core Sound HEB bbox I've ever opened up had ~13k resistors.

Personally... I've run several pairs of 4060s and 61s with 10k resistors w/o problem

Offline firmdragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 07:15:38 PM »
i think the one i'm currently using is 10k as well, if i'm reading this correctly.  I built it here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,80917.0.html

haven't had any problems yet

Offline headroom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My Work with Photos and for Documentary Cinema ( Soundjob)
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 08:07:42 AM »
I made a wood battery box for my white DPA 4060`s. Schematic from DPA.
Alternativ caps is  Rubycon Z very Low ESR Caps 470 uf 10 Volt instead the 10 uf Film.
9 volt battery with 6-10 pieces 470 uf  Rubycon Z in parallel.
For maximum Sound Quality take away the plastic from the caps! Burning in with the mics on at least 48 hours. Wood Battery box sound better than metall and RF noise not a problem with the SONY PCM 50D & it has very quiet Preamps.
:)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 09:33:27 PM »
i asked dpa about this a while back, they said:

Hello Jamie,

Bruce was mistaken, the formula for calculating the appropriate series
resistor is: R = ((Vs - 2.5)V/0.7mA).

4061 powered by a 9v battery will require a series resistor in the 6K8 - 9K1
range.

Please call if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Joey Cicak
DPA Microphones, Inc.

and Len uses 13K with his HEB/4061 and said:

Hi again Jamie,

We have a slightly different one from a few years ago.  We can confirm the value we use from experience.

The formula you sent would specify a 10K Ohm resistor for use with a fresh 9.5 V battery.  We know from experience that the 4060-series has problems with a 10K.

so i guess it comes down to how hot are your fresh 9V batteries? i think 10-13K would be a safer bet if you dont wanna cook your microphones
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com